The Amplifire Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by El Kabong, Feb 20, 2016.

1. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Just got my hands on one of these bad boys and noticed they didn't have dedicated digs here for discussion, so hopefully this thread can serve in that capacity (as well as my NAD/NPD announcement). Multitasking at its finest... :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

So, the Atomic Amplifire has arisen as the new kid on the modeling block. And, while I haven't really had a lot of time to tinker, right off the bat I'm really impressed with the quality of tonez it is spitting out... I mean there is some seriously rich 'tone clone' (yes, you heard it here first) going on, that complements my tube amps and Kemper (yes the paint is still wet on that one, too) extremely well.

Check out this really quick demonstration of its interpretation of a Friedman HBE... one of my favorites:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5k0E06mnqY[/ame]

First off, allow me to compare the Amplifire to my Kemper to better understand how it functions. The Amplifire is a modeler, while the Kemper is a Profiler. The difference primarily being that modeling involves forward engineering while profiling involves reverse engineering. Forward engineering is kind of like starting with a blank slate and working outwards towards a specific sound, and different modelers (Fractal, Line 6, etc.) each approach this cloning of various amps from their own unique starting points. Reverse engineering, OTOH, starts with the final product in mind and works backwards to realize its completion. For example, a Marshall Bluesbreaker is recorded and that sound is analyzed and duplicated. There is quite a bit of overlap between these two systems once the process gets underway, but there is enough of a distinction to warrant two classifications of clonage and understanding the difference may help in deciding which (if either) is right for you.

Both of these methods are perfectly valid and produce some amazing results. Both are highly tweakable and the sky is virtually the limit as to what they can achieve. I added the Amplifire because even though it is MUCH cheaper than the other modelers currently dictating terms in the market place, it seems to deliver a ton of value for the money. Stock, it stars over a hundred world class amps, with a supporting cast of some awesome sounding effects. And even though its new, since the IRs are sharable, there are already some incredible 3rd party IRs (both free and commercial) out there for seamless integration. A lot of the same guys making presets for the current KOTH modelers/profilers are already offering Amplifire versions. Which is way cool!

Since a lot of the glamour of the Kemper and Fractal are the user bases sharing presets, the Amplifire is at a distinct disadvantage as they have not gotten their forum up and running yet. Discussions at TGP and other Modelers' Forums are happening at a time when they really should be happening within Atomic's own confines. Atomic is a small operation and is still struggling with distribution, but I really think that is a major drawback and they really need to get it operational.

Here are some of the tones that come stock, as provide by the Amp Factory:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6IXF8yOaQ4[/ame]

And here are some more tones available from one of my favorite providers:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S23W9WZWMzs[/ame]

The Amplifire is an affordable, yet powerful option for those hoping to catch the modeling train and whether it will take you to your final destination or just the next stop, it is definitly worth checking out. So head to your YouTube outlet of choice... type in 'Amplifire' and dig in to the wealth of interpretations of superior tone already available.

2. Matty

Matty Senior Member

HNMD Duane. :thumb:

Now I've got that out of the way. **** me!!! When is mine going to ****ing arrive??? Every **** is getting theirs but I'm ****ing standing around like a spare prick at a ****ing wedding. [​IMG]

Carry on. :thumb:

3 people like this.
  3. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Patience, Grasshopper... In the same way that hunger is the best spice, so too will your anticipation make your Amplifire all the more satisfying!!! I do think you will be mightily happy with it when it gets there though!!! :cheers:

1 person likes this.
  4. Matty

Matty Senior Member

I'm drinking Whiskey and listening to Motorhead, do you think I'm feeling very ****ing patient? :hmm: I'm going to the garage to calm down. :420:

Aaahhhhh....that's better. :applause:

5 people like this.
  5. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Hey, at least you have your Cab. :naughty:

All you need now is something to plug in to it Matt. :D :wave:

Cheers, Rudi.

1 person likes this.
  6. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

Hey Matty,,get your ass out of that postage stamp you call a continent and maybe you'll get your gear in less than a year!:thumb:

2 people like this.
  7. Falconbill

Falconbill Premium Member

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these due to the price, features and small footprint. One of these and a powered FRFR seem like a nice, economical alternative to some of the higher priced options.

1 person likes this.
  8. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Believe it or not, so is a $200 Used Pod HD300 with some custom presets.

1 person likes this.
  9. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

Hey Frank do you know of any decent demos of the HD300? I honestly can't find a good one on youtube. I mean not all of us like heavy distortion and chorus, and that is what I keep coming up with.

2 people like this.
  10. Matty

Matty Senior Member

Do you think I live in Guam? :cool:

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  11. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

Bahahaha!!! What are you compensating for with that "Big Country"?:naughty:

1 person likes this.
  12. Matty

Matty Senior Member

My lack of an Amplifire. :sadwave:

4 people like this.
  13. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yes. Of course. Look up Shane Duncan band on You Tube. Their entire album is done in studio with a HD300. It's the very thing that got me to switch.. They also play live with the same gear.

2 people like this.
  14. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

Thanks buddy!

1 person likes this.
  15. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Still no AF ?

16. Matty

Matty Senior Member

Not yet, it'll still be a week or two yet. :hyper:

17. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Just tried the free redwirez 1960 IR , sm57 @6" sounds (feels) great with the AF.

3 people like this.
  18. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter Premium Member

This is exactly why I want an Amplifire. Almost everyone who PLAYS one talks about the FEEL of the unit as one of the first things they praise.

19. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

That's very cool... I didn't know RWs stuff worked with AF, I'll have to give them a go. Do they plug directly into AF or do they need to be converted? :hmm:

20. LPV

LPV Senior Member

No its direct. Just upload the file into a user cab slot. Could not be simpler.

1 person likes this.