The 2017 Shaw Revival (my 82 CAR Standard, 2 Shaws and 1 Notta Shawatol)

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by DarrellV, Dec 27, 2017.

1. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

Or from my perspective, my playing is real bare bones.
    Nowhere near the features your chops would have...

LOL!!!! :laugh2:

bulletproof likes this.
  2. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Smaller amps seem easier to tame when recording... I mean, I still have zero recording skills regardless but from the clips people have shared, some of my favorites were smaller amps. The guy who did the demo of my Beano pickups was using a 1W Marshall!!

bulletproof and DarrellV like this.
  3. DarrellV

Ahhh.... Light goes on moment! :cool2:

I could go direct into my DAW too and use the onboard effects for that matter, but I thought part of the demo was to show a potential buyer what they sound like through standard rigs. :dunno:

That way they could judge the sound they hear as coming from an amp they are familiar with.

In my DAW its a virtual world of effects. Would that still be a fair test, because I can make things sound pretty sweet in there, but since it isn't being done through an amp or modeler, would that still be valid. :eek2:

Yes, I'm overthinking again....:facepalm:

bulletproof likes this.
  4. DarrellV

I tried over the weekend to get some sound clips recorded using just the DAW effects and amps. Gave up after an hour of frustration.

So I brought both guitars home with me along with my pedal to give it another shot this week. Hopefully plugging the pedal into my DAW will give me the toanez I am looking for.

I want these to be HI-Fi and accurate as I can get them to what I'm hearing and love about their sound. Thanks for your patience, all..

5. DarrellV

The Sound of Music!

........ Well, sort of.....:rolleyes::eek::D

Here goes nothing....

I opened up a sound cloud account.. I hope it works....

The idea of these clips is to showcase the fidelity and smoothness of these Shaws.

They are short and nothing to write home about.
    My hope is that you will hear some of the quality of tone in these rewinds. Very lush.

If Dave's Shaw clones are anything like this you can know what to expect.

These were done with my Mexicaster with the Shaw in the neck position. All tracks are only using that Shaw.

The first one is a clean rhythm with some effects. Please notice that even in the neck position you can still hear the string separation in the chords. Amazing.....

https://soundcloud.com/darrell-van-...-van-leuven/sets/strat-shaw-neck-demo/s-zRc9o

This one is the lead melody of the song above with a more dreamy effect.
    This one earned the name 'ghost pickup'...

https://soundcloud.com/darrell-van-...-van-leuven/sets/strat-shaw-neck-demo/s-zRc9o

This one uses some crunch

And lastly the LOL track ! :laugh2:

Some noodling with high gain. I told you I'm no shredder, but I'm just trying to demo the thick tones of the neck Shaw.
    Remarkably clear and not muddy... A better player than me might find it useful. :slash: :rofl:

These were all recorded directly into studio one using my POD HD 400
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  6. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Hell Yaaaa,brother!!! That pickup has “ it “ ,don’t it!?!?
    That high gain sample was really clear and creamy.
    The first sample, my head started playing a few runs to go with it!! Was that some flanging or chorus?? Either way,sounds damn good!
    Couldn’t get the 2nd to play......
    I think y’all need to give yerself some credit for yer playing,brother....

DarrellV and Roxy13 like this.
  7. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

They sound great, Darrell!

DarrellV and bulletproof like this.
  8. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Darrell, you rascal you. Nicely done.

9. DarrellV

Thank so much! Really! (blushes).

Yes, IMO those pickups really have a special 'it' factor that I really like.

Maybe y'all can understand why i stopped playing to write to Dave to ask him how he does it.... I really couldn't believe what i was hearing.

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/th...d-1-notta-shawatol.403157/page-3#post-8505934

Dave calls them popcorn with lots of warm butter for the ears...

Those samples took me all day yesterday afternoon of fooling around to produce.

I'm thinking of doing a few more including some combos to show how amazingly it works with other pickups. You won't believe the beautiful and delicate chime i can get by using it with that center single coil....

I'll include the Lester in a few days when I get it setup properly. I'm still going around with that sloppy Nashville bridge so I ordered a replacement.

Solid milled brass, not cast. Locking posts, locking saddles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    bulletproof likes this.
  10. DarrellV

Do keep trying..... it plays for me :dunno:

It's the solo line for the rhythm you liked above. Being a fan of Hank Marvin's tone I try to emulate that in my POD. Not 100%, but nice.

I think it sounds a lot like the hammered dulcimer that I heard it played on years ago... That was simply beautiful.
    [​IMG]

The song is called Wayfaring Stranger, but we turned it into a bit of a bluesy rocker. My buddy George plays harmonica on it too.

Angel Band overhead.jpg

bulletproof likes this.
  11. DarrellV

The POD settings include an Analog Chorus, some Tube echo on track 2, and reverb ranging from Room to Cavern.

Most are through the clean channel using the Black Face amp sim. Number 3 the crunch adds a little Tube Drive.

Number one is through a Highway 101 amp sim but I don't know what that is supposed to be. I can only choose by sound as I've never owned anything outside a Fender Hot Rod ....

Bear in mind too that a lot of the fuzz you hear around the edges in some parts is actually being caused by me beating on the 9's and making them buzz off the maple neck. I tried to go easier to minimize this, but some of the maple spank still gets through. Just the nature of the beast....

bulletproof likes this.
  12. DarrellV

Ok, @bulletproof , I fixed the first one.... For some reason I linked the same track twice..:facepalm:

The first track should be the rhythm for the second track...:doh:

bulletproof likes this.
  13. DarrellV

Tracking says the bridge is in Albany... Should be here tomorrow! :jam:

bulletproof likes this.
  14. bulletproof

Got the second one to go......good playing,brother!!!

DarrellV likes this.
  15. DarrellV

LOL! Thank you!

I think I'm going to try mic'ing my little amp to see how that sounds too.

Maybe it will be a little fuller sounding... IDK. Those were OK, but its still not like IRL!

Stand by.

bulletproof likes this.
  16. DarrellV

News Flash!

Got a new Helix on Saturday! OMG difference in sound quality...
    [​IMG]
    New clips coming! New bridge installed ... best 40 bucks I ever spent!

Dave, I hardly know where to start... those pickups sound amazing now! Both of them!

Got to play on Sunday for practice and am just blown away by the combo of Dave's rewinds and the new Helix!

I feel like I've arrived.... now I can finally just enjoy playing!

And I did.,.....:jam:

bulletproof and CheopisIV like this.
  17. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

That's quite the bridge! I bet it improves sustain a fair bit... I find some of my Gibson bridges rattle and I can only imagine how much of the tone is being robbed on some of them.

As for the pickups, you'll notice a bit of a tone change over the course of several months; they'll open up a bit more and sound more lively and rich. It's something that I've noticed in fresh wound and unpotted pickups that you wont see in stuff off the shelf...likely mass produced shelf pickups have already done the final settling and balancing; that's my theory behind the change anyway.

Helix LT. Haven't heard of that before but looking forward to some sound samples with it.

18. bulletproof

Absolutely brother!

DarrellV likes this.
  19. DarrellV

This from a guy who owns the Holy Grail set that started me down the road with Dave... and you haven't even installed them yet!!!:wtf:

:rofl:Just kiddin! I know why you're waiting... I just don't know how you can do it!! :Ohno:

bulletproof likes this.
  20. bulletproof

I’m telling y’all,brother,it ain’t easy!!! :laugh2:

DarrellV likes this.