The 2017 Shaw Revival (my 82 CAR Standard, 2 Shaws and 1 Notta Shawatol)

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by DarrellV, Dec 27, 2017.

1. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

You are the bomb!:dude:

It HAS been doing that to me and I've been meaning to ask you if it could be out of phase!

I lose almost all volume with both on 10...

But what a quack! like a Strat almost!

I may end up changing it at some point, but I like the toanz I'm getting.

The thing is, I'm showing how I matched the notches on the ends neat the top, I thought that was how they were identified. The keyhole shapes face the same way....:dunno:

bulletproof and CheopisIV like this.
  2. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Haha! I see what you mean now that I'm looking again. Those notches are an artifact of the pour and mean nothing. :hmm:

Edit: Oh yeah, I stole some of your pictures and story on the Shaws for my website. Finally got around to adding the Shaw clones to the list.

I'm slow with these things and used to think it was attention to detail and perfectionism but it could also be pre-senile dementia creeping in. Who knows!

bulletproof and DarrellV like this.
  3. DarrellV

I'm flattered! If you ever need a glowing testimony for them, let me know...

They have meshed and mellowed like so beautifully now that I got tendonitis last week from playing it every day!

I've GOT to figure out this sound cloud thing!....

It has simply the sweetest voice I have ever heard in any guitar... I can't help think how much Les himself would like it.

4. CheopisIV

I'd be down for that: I'm adding a quotes and reviews section to each pickup set and could use something for them.

5. DarrellV

Like I said earlier.... where do I sign up?:cheers2:

6. CheopisIV

Ummm... I don't know...!? :rofl:
    There's supposed to be a review feature but I can't find it at a quick glance.

I'm manually entering emails and PMs I've received through the years. Just send an email or PM and I'll get it done.

7. DarrellV

8. DarrellV

When all was said and done I plugged it in and it sounds, well, normal again..

No more dreamy OOP stuff, but no volume loss either. All controls work as they should.

Will have to see this Sunday at church when I can give it a run through my system.

JohnnyN, bulletproof and CheopisIV like this.
  9. DarrellV

Gave it the run through this weekend and it seems all is well!

The toanez in the middle are conventional again and the volumes all work the way they did before the swap.

I got to noodle around for a while after Service was over, and I am finding I like the neck Shaw for soloing more than I have on any guitar in the past. This is new for me. Usually I find them too thick or muddy or flabby to be useful to me, but this sunk down Shaw really sings. Very rich and flutey with just enough snot to thicken it up without sounding all blubbery and sloppy.

Reminds me of a crying, wailing kind of tone. A better player than me could really use it to their advantage I'm sure!

Thanks again, Dave!

I really haven't played a ton of Lesters in the past, in fact, none at all, so I have nothing to compare your work to.
    All I know is it makes me very happy to play it when the sounds it produces speak to my heart and those around me in a way that makes me want to keep playing it.

I can make it say what I'm feeling inside and it's really an amazing feeling to hear my meager skills making it sing so purdy like that!

I guess that's what guitarin' is really about for those of us who aren't in business and making money with them. Weekend warriors, LOL!

JohnnyN, bulletproof and CheopisIV like this.
  10. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I’m telling y’all,this is one of the best pickup threads we have ever had:dude::cheers2::dude:

mdubya, DarrellV and JohnnyN like this.
  11. DarrellV

You are too kind! Thank you! :cheers:

I am glad you think so because from my side it didn't look like it was getting very much love at all.

I check in on it from time to time to check the number of views and replies and it doesn't seem to be setting any records for interest, LOL!!

I try to keep remembering this is a forum, not instant messaging, and these posts will be here for a long time.

Someone down the road, maybe a new reader, might get some direction or help from it.

JohnnyN and bulletproof like this.
  12. bulletproof

I tell ya, brother....I’m pretty damn sure its going to be found and referred to in the future. This is still a relatively young thread,man.

JohnnyN and DarrellV like this.
  13. DarrellV

Dave from Sigil has done me a great honor by linking this thread to his website, and featuring my CAR beauty under his new Shaw clones.

That's a really cool first for me! I hope he sells a ton!

I simply MUST get off my arse and figure out how to get some sound clips up here for him and ya'll so you can hear his work!

TBH, part of me wants to wait till I get my new Helix in the near future. That way I can share my settings with the sound clips for reference since I don't use a big name amp.

mdubya, JohnnyN and bulletproof like this.
  14. bulletproof

Brother, I use plenty of amps that ain’t a big name.....let’er Rip!!!!:headbanger:

JohnnyN and DarrellV like this.
  15. DarrellV

JohnnyN, CheopisIV and bulletproof like this.
  16. CheopisIV

Weird... 'cause when I think of sound demos a little VOX Valvetronic is EXACTLY what I think. :naughty:

17. DarrellV

For real!!! Or are you pulling my leg? :squint:

I'm very curious why you would think in that direction.. :shock:

I would normally think of a big Marshall stack or something more rock and roll...:jam:

Not a wimpy little practice amp...:rofl:

bulletproof and JohnnyN like this.
  18. bulletproof

DarrellV,are y’all gonna make me do a demo with my Blackheart to prove my point?? :laugh2:

DarrellV likes this.
  19. DarrellV

LOL! I had to look that one up! Still looks bigger than mine! :laugh2:

[​IMG]

You could, BTW, didn't you buy a set of those sets with the NOS PE wire and the fancy boxes he made a while back? Those were the ones that got me interested in Dave's work to begin with. :thumb:

He could use that on his site too!

20. bulletproof

5474C8F2-3329-4437-AC24-0C50FE100D43.jpeg
    I have the the Little Giant Head.....

And yepper on Dave’s HG LTD set....I am just waiting for the right guitar for them buggers. I’m weird like that:naughty::laugh2:

The Blackheart is real bare bones,man. Nowhere the features that your Vox has!

DarrellV likes this.