The 2017 ReWind Electric Summer Gear Giveaway is ON now! (FREE PICKUPS & MORE)

Discussion in 'Vendor Classifieds' started by cooljuk, Jul 26, 2017.

1. cousingrandpa

cousingrandpa Senior Member

Hey James, I have been wanting to try a set of your pickups for a while.
    I'm playing my PRS Custom 22 with BK Abraxas & Mule combo with RS super pots volume & tone pots, PIO cap & Switch craft 3 way switch. I'm not into coil cutting wiring just vintage 2 conductor.
    In my video I run through a few shortened originals to show the different styles I play & start heavy & clean up as I go.
    I start with Sabbatios then go through a quick run of the intro to Into The Void. I then go through an unnamed SRV inspired bluesy tune I have yet to title. Next is The Journey & last is Cotton Mouth.
    I'm playing through a Victoria Tweed Twin head & Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks. All songs have a TC Hall Of Fame reverb, the first 2 songs are going through a Suhr Riot Reloaded. The bluesy one is going through a Wampler Paisley drive & the last 2 are clean.
    It's probably the position of the neck pickup but it's not quiet the hollow woody vintage tone I'm looking for & the bridge is just a little flat, I'm looking for PAF on major steroids in the bridge. I love this pickup combo in my R9 but it's just a little off in the PRS.
    Also I'm addicted to A4 magnet pickups.

Byron999, Jer and cooljuk like this.
  2. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Hey cousingrandpa, what's that funky thing with the strat neck on the stand in the background?

3. cousingrandpa

cousingrandpa Senior Member

Honestly I have no clue what brand it is, when I got it, it was the body, neck, pickguard, 1 pickup & partial bridge assembly. When I got it I was doing the vintage guitar shows in Chicago under Turtle Hurd Music. Some guy was walking it through trying to sell it thinking it was valuable just because it was vintage. After he made the rounds & pretty much got laughed at by everyone he came to my booth & said if you want it, it's yours & dropped it on the table & left. We had a lot of projects we were working on on display.
    I added the ABR bridge, routed the body so the humbucker & 3 way switch would fit. I made a new pickguard & put the body together. The neck was unplayable, it had zero radius & was wavy from end to end. I pulled the frets & gave it a 12" radius. While sanding the radius I sanded through the veneer fretboard which was expected. I put the zebrawood fretboard on it, refretted it & put it together & it plays unbelievably well, on par with my top line guitars. It also has a great tone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since I got it together I found this picture of what it originally looked like. I still don't know what it is though.

[​IMG]

4. Jer

Jer Member

WARNING: Extreme Cheese Content...

Hi James, I am now going into hiding lol.
    My rig is as follows; Gibson LP Custom shop Class 5 one off with R9 specs plugged straight into a Traynor YCS 100 with 4x12 matching Cab(Celestion V-30's).
    This LP is stock which includes Custom Buckers, Modern wiring and ceramic caps. The PU's are ok. Not enough sustain and they just do not capture that amazing PAF sound/feel. This harness needs to go bye bye and get 50's wiring for sure. I've played a lot with PU height and have them very balanced but the controls well... you know. I truly believe this guitar has great potential with the right components in place.
    Your PAF-1's would be amazing I think. I want that honk and squawk. That woody vocal sound that sounds like a baritone sax etc...
    I have watched and listened to all of your videos and I just can't stop watching them lol. I know that sound that I long for lies within your masterpieces. I have been researching pu's for a LONG time and long before your contests I knew that ReWind was it.
    Thank you James for this fun opportunity and to all the other entries- I salute you! Well done.

Thanks,

Jer

Byron999, Blindmaple, cooljuk and 3 others like this.
  5. Jer

Jer Member

Hmmmm did I scare everyone away?

6. kboman

kboman Senior Member

I wondered the same thing when I posted my video! :D It's probably just work and stuff taking up time from forum posting. I really liked your video for the record :)

cooljuk likes this.
  7. Jer

Jer Member

Kboman thank you sir. I really enjoyed your video too! I soooo get where you're coming from with trying to play/record with a child sleeping. I have felt exactly the same way, so tired but want to practice, can't turn the amp up to any decent level, just praying no one wakes up lol. A couple times when my daughter was younger, it was late at night, I actually fell asleep standing up whilst playing. So lucky I never toppled into the drums and broke the guitar lol.
    You are a very talented player, thank you.

kboman likes this.
  8. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I am here! I just like to listen to these demos on proper speakers and much of my online time during that day/week is on a phone or laptop.

Get vids, here! Seriously, these are all great. Everyone is doing an excellent job!

Jer, my wife says that Owlette is adorable! She's not normally one for guitar videos (I know, but I married her anyway) but she was smiling ear-to-ear. I can't count your daughter for bonus points for you, but it wish I could!

Keep 'em rolling in, we still have some more time for entries!

Jer and kboman like this.
  9. kboman

kboman Senior Member

That is very generous, thank you! Luckily I have an excellent headphone solution but I cringe whenever I use a footswitch... My constant jumping in the video comes from the door to the room making noises due to a draft. Murder on the nerves!

Jer likes this.
  10. Blindmaple

Blindmaple Junior Member

Hey Jer: love the super man pajamas. Top notch.

cooljuk and Jer like this.
  11. Jer

Jer Member

Thanks buddy. You have never truly lived until you dawn a Superman Onesy. Very empowering. ;)

cooljuk likes this.
  12. Blindmaple

Blindmaple Junior Member

I'm having trouble with the loading that video since photo bucket down. Any suggestions for a newbie video poster ?

13. cooljuk

I think most guys are using YouTube. It's not problem-free but it does at least allow for very high quality audio and video, as far as free video streaming services go. Vimeo is another you might consider. :thumb:

Blindmaple likes this.
  14. cooljuk

UPDATE - I've removed one of the entry requirements in hopes of opening the giveaway to more people. The rule was held over from previous years but it has occurred to me that it's no longer necessary with the video-only format this year. I've edited the OP but also copied the relevant information below. Welcome to anyone new here!

* Be an MLP member with a join date prior to today (07-26-2017)
    UPDATE 8/27/17 - this first item is no longer a requirement. Because we are doing videos only this year, it will be obvious if someone attempts to create new accounts and enter more than once. Entry is now open to EVERYONE! Just follow the remaining two rules below...

* Make a post in this thread that contains the following:
    ---- A video of you playing your current rig
    ---- A list of your basic signal chain gear (pickups, guitar, gain stages, amp, speakers, cab)
    ---- A brief description of what you like and don't like about your sound

* One entry-post per member will be counted so make your first your best

15. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

---- A video of you playing your current rig

---- A list of your basic signal chain gear (pickups, guitar, gain stages, amp, speakers, cab)

many guitars. scores and scores of pups. rig #1: ADA MP1(31 band EQ and reverb in FX loop)>BBE>ADA power amp. rig #2: Fractal Axe-Fx II XL+>Carvin power amp. cabs: Marshall 1960B 4x12s, Peavey 6505 4x12, Mojotone Slammins 2x12. speakers: Peavey Sheffields, Celestion G12T75s, G1265s, A-Types, V-Types, Mojotone BV-25Ms, Mojotone BV-30Hs.

in this video: pair of Jackson PC-1s with stock DiMarzios into Fractal using Celestion IRs.

---- A brief description of what you like and don't like about your sound

lots to like about the different sounds I have available.

what I'd like to see improved is more selection of better-sounding and more accurate-sounding PAF/vintage replica pickups that the mass-produced options.

Byron999, cooljuk and Jer like this.
  16. Jer

Jer Member

Darth, that was a great video! Cool song too! Way to go sir.

cooljuk and darthphineas like this.
  17. Billy4269

Billy4269 Senior Member

Gonna record a since ive been loving you by zep cover within the next week or so - insipired by the live versions.

Gonna be using my R8 les paul w/ Rewind JPPre72 pickups, rsguitarworks caps and pots through my Cornell Plexi 20watt amp, avatar 2x12 cab with a v30 and g12h30

cooljuk likes this.
  18. cooljuk

Hey Darth - Real nice video, man! Very pro looking and great sounds/playing. Are you trying to make one of the two Jacksons you played more vintage sounding? That's certainly possible. If yes, are you thinking PAFs, T-Tops, 70's Super Distortions or something different or custom? Maybe just tell me a little more about the specific sound you are interested in and for which guitar. Looks like you have a nice selection of guitars and gear, there. Lots of options! I just want to get my brain on the same page as yours so I know a little more specifically what I'm working with/towards.

Thanks for entering, man! Beautiful demo!

darthphineas likes this.
  19. cooljuk

Sounds awesome. I'll be looking forward to it!

On one hand, it'll be heard to beat my own pickups but, on the other hand, as long as you let me know what you like/dislike or want more/less of in the sound, it will also be real easy for me to make a recommendation, since I'm intimately familiar with all the little details of that set.

20. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Senior Member

K, I'll join. This is a Warmoth partscaster... It's a swamp ash body from about 2005 and a birdseye maple neck with a Brazilian rosewood footboard from 1993. It's down here with humbuckers but I want to to be single coils again. I'd love a Tele pickup in the bridge and two Strat pickups. I generally just use a Tubescreamer through a Hand Wired Bassman.