The 2017 ReWind Electric Summer Gear Giveaway is ON now! (FREE PICKUPS & MORE)

Discussion in 'Vendor Classifieds' started by cooljuk, Jul 26, 2017.

1. scrumm21

scrumm21 Silver Supporter Premium Member

My Entry....
    Looking for something more in line with the 57 Classic \57 Classic+ - vintage warm PAF sound with Lower output \ more headroom, and better response from pots. Quite a drop in volume below '8'.
    Have not converted this guitar to 50's wiring yet.

Playing a '15 Gibson Studio w\stock 490/498 pickups straight into Egnater Tweaker 15 Head & Egnater 112 Cab. Amp set for "California Clean" sound. Recorded with Samsung Phone. (fwiw..I had never touched a guitar til Aug 2014, at the tender age of 57 with no real musical background. Ran sound board for some local groups for 15yrs (and was pretty good at it too Lol ). Limited finger dexterity in Lt hand so I just really dig playing mainly background chords to songs.
    Thanks James and Good Luck To Everyone !

2. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Yes, I can do that with ANY of my P-90s (other than something intentionally overwound), and without sacrificing one thing. I believe I'm the only winder that makes humbucker size P-90s with real P-90 bobbins and full size AWG 42 wire. Then I cut the flanges off the bobbins after winding them to make them just barely fit without compromising the coil geometry or components. It's risky, as cutting the four flanges off an already sound P-90 bobbin can very easily destroy the coil inside, so they aren't going to be as cheap as other options, but they are actually P-90s. With a plastic humbucker cover (instead of metal) and the right baseplate there is ZERO sonic difference.

Now, the staple pole piece P-90s in particular - I built two or three of those for folks and the manual labor is EXTREMELY tedious so nobody will be winning one of those for free in this contest. ;) I could, however, make a humbucker-size pickup similar to a Jazzmaster pickup, which would have a similar sound, if done right.

Jer, scrumm21 and Xrun Morzov like this.
  3. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

You're gonna be too hot too handle if you win this one my friend! :dude:

scrumm21 and B5Erik like this.
  4. Curious George

Curious George Senior Member

Very cool... James is a class act!

Asked a question about a Gibson pat sticker pup and received a page length detailed reply. Clearly a lot of passion around what he is doing... while my question had no monetary opportunity for him, he has won my future business.

...and this contest is a fun idea!

Jer, cooljuk and scrumm21 like this.
  5. cooljuk

Jer likes this.
  6. cooljuk

Let's get some more of these entries rolling in, folks! Don't be shy!

You can outright SUCK as a player and still win. I'm not judging anyone on playing ability. The video is mostly just so I can hear the voice of your rig and know what ReWind gear will work best with it.

Jer likes this.
  7. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Lol, I am direct evidence of that!

Rapdog likes this.
  8. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

So you're saying there's a chance! ;)

Hell, if it comes down to who sucks the most I'm a lock to win this thing! :rofl:

But I'll say this - I may suck as a player, but at least I know great tone! (I may not always have it, but I know it when I hear it and I've been learning how to get it over the last several years! Why do you think I entered this contest?) :D

9. cooljuk

Thanks, Eric. Here's one you'll enjoy...
    [​IMG]

B5Erik likes this.
  10. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

When James gets into the Super Distortion business, you know Hard Rock guitar players are going to be very happy! I can't wait to hear those!

Super Distinction. Sounds like we're gonna get something a little different from the standard high output ceramic magnet pickups! I know I'm in for at least a bridge pickup! (And I'll probably want mine in zebra to be even more distinctive among the Super Distortion bunch...)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Jer and cooljuk like this.
  11. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Senior Member

I have a fun idea for the video but I need a looper pedal! Trying to borrow one from a friend.

12. cooljuk

Very cool! I remember liking your video last year. Looking forward to what you put together this year, Evan.

I don't know a great deal about looper pedals (last one I had was an Echoplex lol!) but I do know a pro who uses them heavily I can put you in touch with, if advise on models is needed. That said, I have, ironically, spent plenty of time around MPCs, Emus and even a few ASR-10s and SP-1200s. More studio type samplers but fun stuff for sure!

Jer and MasterEvan07 like this.
  13. Vash854

Vash854 Junior Member

Can I participate if I both suck as a player and I don't have another guitar for new pickups because I haven't bought it yet but hopefully will soon when my college stops robbing me constantly lol.

14. cooljuk

Well, that does get tricky. Neither of us can really know what that guitar will sound like, acoustically or electrically, especially through your rig and hands, until you get it.

...but you say "another" so I assume you do presently have an electric guitar? Is that one already sounding perfect in your mind?

If you don't have any electric guitar that you're not 100% happy with, there's not much I can do for you. Maybe one of the guitar builders here will run a similar giveaway?

15. Vash854

Vash854 Junior Member

Yea I actually just got into Les Pauls recently, so I bought an Epiphone and changed the pickups to a Peter Green set, and I mostly like it except the neck pickup is a bit too full and bassy. I'm not gonna put more into a $400 guitar though, because the desire for a nice flame top Gibson LP is real so I want to buy it when I work up the courage to blow my savings :(.

I just never really like any of the Gibson pickups so I know I will most likely replace them, but I don't want to be a dick and participate against people who actually already have a guitar they want to put pickups in so I'll hold out for next time I guess. But if I end up buying it before this is over I'll come back with a video that will ruin your ears with awful music!

Jer and cooljuk like this.
  16. cooljuk

You're not a dick at all, man. You should enter with your Epi LP and the Peter Green set.

IF you win, I'll keep it in mind that you're moving the pickups to another Les Paul later and not build anything so extreme that it would not translate well to another LP. Totally doable.

Welcome aboard!

Jer likes this.
  17. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Senior Member

Well, I tried several different things and the whole syncing up and recording quality audio and video was becoming quite laborious, so I grabbed my Fryette Power Station to tame my amp and that helped things quite a bit.

"A list of your basic signal chain gear (pickups, guitar, gain stages, amp, speakers, cab)"

- 1988 LP Standard w/ ReWind Low Output PAF
    - Fryette Memphis 1x12 combo w/ Fane Alnico A60 set to overdrive channel (perhaps too overdrive :-S )
    - Fryette Power Station set to reign in volume without losing the tone I more or less wanted
    - Boss RC-30 looper and a Chase Tone Secret Preamp (just to give the solo a little more cut)

What I like -

The bridge sings very nicely and has good edge and grind

What I dislike -

The neck is a little too muffled no matter what I do for pickup height and screw height. Doesn't quite have the midrange vocality and bluesy punch without losing definition that I need in my neck.

Overall I have a love/hate relationship with this guitar...sometimes I can get sounds I love, other times I feel like it's a dead plank, but I simply don't have the money to buy a bunch of guitars to find "the One," so this is the one!

I recently got these pups from James from his sale and while I am fond of the bridge, the neck just isn't where I need it despite my tweaking. I'd love to have James help me dial in the perfect set.

Hope you like the Beatles...it's a little busy and peaked too much, but it's fun nonetheless.

If you can't see the above video embed, please follow this link and let me know if it works or not.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtxwkz2m0wfx0wq/Video Aug 07, 4 50 43 PM.mov?dl=0

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  18. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

is a video a prerequisite? what about a thorough description of the gear, and an audio recording? do you need to "see" the gear?

cooljuk likes this.
  19. cooljuk

Even a mobile phone video would do. It doesn't have not be fancy or edited. Honestly, it's better if it's not edited (at least for sound) as I'll get a more accurate opinion of the voice of your rig and playing style. I don't need to see your gear, but I want to hear you playing your rig so I can build the best solution possible to take your guitar in the direction of your sonic goals, should you win.

I figured most folks who have a guitar also have a camera phone to record on these days but I would like to include every potential entry I can so, if you can really only do an audio recording, I'll work with that! :thumb:

Jer likes this.
  20. cooljuk

MasterEvan07 - your video is not coming through.

It says "This video is not available" and shows static. I tried watching directly on YouTube.com, also. No dice. Can you check the link and try to fix it, please?