The 2017 ReWind Electric Summer Gear Giveaway is ON now! (FREE PICKUPS & MORE)

Discussion in 'Vendor Classifieds' started by cooljuk, Jul 26, 2017.

1. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

@geetarfreek82 - it's a bit tricky to hear the actual acoustic sound of your guitar through the distortion and octave pedal, but I know you are also going for a totally different sound than the two humbuckers in it and that you know what pickups will sound good in your guitar.

I'll try to approach it from a more theoretical point of view...

Since Strat pickups are almost always A5, I think that's the sound that most people have in mind when they think of a Strat. Coils, as you know could be either hand wound for a 50's / early 60's sound or machine wound for a later 60's and 70's sound. How you want to go on that just depends on your preference. The machine wound coils have a bit more of a distinct "quack" and the hand wound ones are a little more true in frequency response and more open sounding. I could also say machine wound Start pickups tend to have more character and hand wound ones tend to have more clarity.

For the bridge, there are more options. You could take a similar approach with the bridge and go for A5s with the option of hand or machine wound to match the era of the middle/neck Strat pickups but I have another idea that's a little more abstract that you might like - if it were mine, I'd put a Blackguard style pickup in the bridge for a contrasting/complimenting sound to the middle and neck. I think a hand wound A3 flat-pole bridge pickup would be a super cool compliment to the neck and middle, especially if you have a blend pot or switch to throw a bridge/neck combination into the equation. That would be a truly cool sound. So, the downside to doing something like that is that the middle and neck pickup positions are naturally louder, and with more bass, due to the physics of their location in relation to the center of the strings' vibration. A5s being so much louder than A3s certainly compounds this. I think the solution here is nothing of a compromise though, and would only result in a much cooler and complex combination of pickups and a wider range of voicings for the guitar - mid/late 60's A5 machine wound middle and neck Strat pickups with thinner staggered and chamfered magnets combined with an early Esquire-style bridge pickup that's got thicker long flatpole A3s and is wound nice and hot, in the 10k Ohms range, for a better balance of output and bass with the other two pickups and a real rocking style bridge that it in the "Keef" territory.

Of course, it's all up to your preferences and you know what you like so if you wanted a 60's-style machine wound, chamfered and staggered Tele bridge pickup, for the ultimate in Tele-twangy-goodness, that's totally doable, as well. Just kinda going with my gut on the above. Lemme know what you think!

:h5:

2. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Senior Member

it's funny, great minds think alike. I had a Broadcaster style bridge pickup in here before and it sounded great, so I kind of wanted to go back to that even if it was done on Strat bobbins with a baseplate. Also I've had a few different kinds of Strat pickups on here and this thing seems to favor Formvar and A5's. That would all probably be awesome, and I would definitely do the neck/bridge combo for pseudo tele-ness. This is my #1 for over ten years and I want to finally settle on something and just leave it alone and play it! Thanks man!

cooljuk likes this.
  3. Jer

Jer Member

Hahaha yes it's all theatrics at my place lol. I am glad you and your wife got a kick out of it :)

Thank you very much, James, for taking the time to really listen to each and every entry and give us such sound advice ;)
    Your input is right on the money. Everything you said to me I agree with 100%. I am amazed with the ear you have. I really need to learn more about everything that you know. All the different Magnet formulas and the effects of orientation, how wire size and composition and different winding patterns affect the tone... the list is endless!! I have huge respect for you.
    One thing I wanted to bring up was your Low Output V2's. I keep listening to the "BlakeM" Low Output overwound video on your YouTube channel, the one where he is playing his Class 5 in a large red sweater lol. I am really loving the metallic chirp and woodiness of those pickups. They really do sound like the majority of PAF recordings that I've heard. I was wondering if there is any way to somehow combine the PAF1's with the LowOutput V2's? I know the windings and mags are very different. Just throwing that out there cuz I may be leaning more towards the V2's. Let me know your thoughts when you have a chance. Thank you kind sir!
    Jer

4. cooljuk

I'm pretty sure you could go with the Low Output PAFs in your guitar, successfully. To me, your rig already sounds open and clear and full-spectrumed (minus some of the expected congestion and lacking extended range of the stock pickups and harness). My recommendation for the PAF-1s was more or less confirming your interest in them, more than a real specific recommendation to address a weakness. Since you had mentioned them, I though, "Yep. That'll work!"

The only caveat I'd mention about the Low Output PAFs is this - if your guitar is acoustically dark, or has a naturally much darker neck position than the bridge, as about 1 in 10 Les Pauls do (meaning, no matter what pickups you put in it, the neck is always MUCH darker and the bridge always MUCH thinner by comparison. I mean "MUCH" because this will happen to a lesser extent with all guitars, simply due to the physical locations) than we should talk about that before you consider the Low Outputs. I still wouldn't necessarily steer you away from them, but I would at least want to make some mods to them, perhaps an A5 in the neck and some extra coil offset in the neck, maybe an overwound bridge. Those types of mods would help to restore the balance of output and bass in a guitar that has one of those naturally dark neck positions.

To be fully clear, there are some compromises that come with those mods. You will loose the "heart" of the Low Output PAF A2 sound. The Low Outputs (just like my JPP pickups) are VERY particular about the specs. Take one step away from them and some of the magic falls apart. They still sound like excellent pickups, but you loose the early 1960's A2 PAF charm - that metallic chirp in the upper mids / lower treble. That, oh I almost hate to say it, "AFD sound" that they have. That liquidy, metallic chirp - the real particular characteristic of early 60's A2 PAFs, is VERY dependent on the interaction of these exact coils and the A2 magnet. If either coil or the magnet changes, in any direction, POOF! it's gone. Then you still have a real nice set of clean airy, breathy A2 pickups but they start to sound warmer and thicker, more like Creme Brûlées, or cleaner and very true and transparent, but with less character, just like the VLOs sound with A2s. ...or something else, but not the Low Output PAF chimey, chirpy, fluty, metallic goodness.

For this same reason - if I were to build something in between the Low Output PAFs and the PAF-1s, they would also loose that same characteristic. If you don't need that particular chimey chirpy quality, though, than the Creme Brûlées ARE something between the Low Output PAFs and the PAF-1s! They don't chirp the same way, and they have a warmer overall sound. Thicker and creamier, as the name implies. :) Still with the softer and sweeter top end and the pronounced and compressed midrange that the A2s pickups in my line offer, but with a focus in a lower frequency range - more vocal and growly than chirpy and metallic. Bigger, fatter, thicker, more aggressive. More of a fat thick chewy sound.

So, what say ye, Superman? How does all this sit with you? Is your guitar acoustically bright or warm? ....compared to other Les Pauls, I mean. I assume, with a beauty like that, you probably played a bunch before pulling that trigger. :)

Jer likes this.
  5. Jer

Jer Member

Thank you for that response James! That makes perfect sense. I guess I was just thinking out loud, I definitely would not want to change the voice of either set of pickups as they are perfect. That is great to know about the low output V2's. I think I would stick with my gut feeling and go with the PAF 1's. I love everything about them. But my next set will be the V2's ;)
    My guitar was a Christmas gift from my Brother and Sister in law in 2015. Yes I am still speechless when I think about that. Crazy expensive. Just crazy. It has been aging beautifully, very woody acoustically, I think the PAF 1's would really bring out that honk and midrange that I love. As far as tonality goes it has the classic darker neck tone and thinner bridge. On my amp I have the bass set between 2-3 and the treble and mids are close to dimed.
    I'm sure a new harness with correct 50's wiring would brighten things up a bit. I don't have any decent guitar stores where I live. The only Gibson dealer is a very small Long & Mcquade. They carry Gibby USA gits and zero Custom shop stuff which deeply saddens my Crypton heart.

Thank you my friend for taking the time to explain all of that to me. I am back on track with your PAF 1's. I shalt not stray again!

6. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Senior Member

Thank you once more for this incredible amount of time, resources, experience, knowledge, etc. you're sharing here, James. It's a Herculean effort and deserves recognition.

Jer, scrumm21, cooljuk and 2 others like this.
  7. Rapdog

Rapdog Senior Member

I ditto the above. Love all this info.

cooljuk likes this.
  8. cooljuk

Thanks, guys. I have a hectic morning tomorrow (four appointments in a row, starting in six hours), but after that I'll get right back on this thread.

I think we are quickly approaching a grand finale!

Thanks for hanging in there.

9. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

And the advice/info you've provided to each of us has been extremely helpful as we've been waiting to see who gets the goodies!

Thanks!

10. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Senior Member

Can't wait!

cooljuk likes this.
  11. cooljuk

@Guitar Rod - That's a real decent sounding Tele for a garage sale find! If you also like the feel of it, well, that's a hard thing to beat. Even a cool color, if you ask me.

So, it sounds to me like it's a fairly bright guitar, which is a good thing. Even a great thing with a Tele. That means we could take it in any direction.

If you think the neck is muddy/muffled, than a 60's CBS era neck pickup, as you suggest, could be very appropriate. The brighter sounding A5 magnets and the bright and chimey machine-wound plain enamel wire coil would be about as bright as vintage Fender neck pickups ever got. If you want to make it REAL bright, I could substitute a nickel silver cover or an open cover (the type where you can see the pole pieces through an opening in the top) would be a much brighter and more clear sounding option, compared to the traditional chromed brass covers that Fender used up through (I think) the 1980's.

For the bridge - I know we are talking CBS era and, if you want to have that Twangy "Bakersfield" country sound, than a machine wound, staggered and chamfered A5 bridge with a copper plated steel elevator plate would be perfect for that. ...but my gut says a hotter Esquire-style bridge pickup would be a great match in that guitar. A bit more of a rock sound. Something "Keef" like - a nice hot early hand-wound coil around flat-pole A3s and a zinc plated steel elevator plate. I think that would give the guitar some real balls on the bridge setting and still clean up well, but also take that middle position into a really cool and complex honk/quack kinda voice by mixing the different magnet types and coil types into a really harmonically rich position that stands strong on its own.

That said, you know your rig and your style and your preferences better than anyone else can so don't let me talk you into it if it's not what you are after. Your suggestion of going straight CBS would be absolutely acceptable and complimentary for the guitar. Just wanted to offer an alternate.

I know you say the mini pots are doing the job but, if you win, I'll be inclined to at least offer you a nice harness with an Oak 3 way and some full size pots. If you find your self playing the guitar more, after putting the new pickups in, those little mini pots might wear out quickly. ;)

:cheers2:

darthphineas and Guitar Rod like this.
  12. cooljuk

Holy smokes! Was that the last review/recommendation!?

If I missed anyone, please raise your hand.

It's a long thread and I think I got everyone but if I missed someone for review, it's just my own oversight. I'll go back and check again but it looks like it's time for a drawing! Give me a day or so to do it, film it, post it. I'll try to convince the lovely Mrs. ReWind to do the drawing again this year. She's allot easier on the eyes than I am.

Rapdog, B5Erik, darthphineas and 3 others like this.
  13. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

:cheers2:

Thanks for the expert analysis, James. Confirmed some of what I thought I knew and gave me some excellent options I both thought about and didn't. I have thought about a hotter 50s bridge pickup to make it a rocker guitar, but I also want to differentiate it from my humbucker guitars as well. Don't really have a guitar with a bit of twang to it. A quintessential Tele. Plus the staggered pole CBS style pickup also fits the look of the guitar. I forgot to mention in my original post that the outputs for my current pickups are 5.06k neck/6.70k bridge if that makes a difference to your suggestions.

Your neck suggestions are really thought provoking. I prefer the covered soap bar classic look, so your suggestion of nickel covers instead of brass really excites me. Best of both worlds, although if the CBS neck is bright already, would nickel covers make it exceedingly bright? I don't really know what a Tele neck is supposed to be like, whether dark is the norm or not. But I do like clarity.

I didn't know wear was an issue with mini pots. Makes sense that the smaller carbon surface area would wear quicker. Plus I imagine they are just cheaply made.

Lots to think about. Thanks again for the consultation. Very helpful. :h5:

14. cooljuk

Make sure you watch all the way through!

Winners: Contact me with your shipping addresses. info@re-wind.net

Thanks to all and congratulations!

Brewdude, B5Erik, if6was9 and 4 others like this.
  15. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Congrats to the 3 winners! Gonna be a great upgrade to your guitars. And thanks for the contest and all the effort you put into it, James.

cooljuk, kboman and DotStudio like this.
  16. cousingrandpa

cousingrandpa Senior Member

OOOOOOOHHHRRRRRAAAAAHHHH!!!:wow: :headbanger::run::rock::cheers2:!!

Thank you very much James, looking forward to hearing what a set of your pickups can do for my PRS!
    Congrats to the other winners & great job everyone.

Guitar Rod, cooljuk, kboman and 2 others like this.
  17. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Congratulations to everyone! <3

18. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

Thank you so much James!!! Can't wait!

And to everybody... thanks for posting clips! I love hearing everyone play :applause:

19. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Congrats, everybody!

Guitar Rod, cooljuk and kboman like this.
  20. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove Member

Congratulations to you lovely winners! This is a really great thing you do, James. I'll see if I can't scrape together a bit of cash now that this semester is coming to a close to pick something up from you.

cooljuk, Guitar Rod and kboman like this.