The 2017 ReWind Electric Summer Gear Giveaway is ON now! (FREE PICKUPS & MORE)

Discussion in 'Vendor Classifieds' started by cooljuk, Jul 26, 2017.

1. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I know many of you have been waiting on this. I had planned to do it earlier in the month but this year has held many surprises for me of all sorts and the timing wasn't appropriate then. Now, it's time!

The rules are even simpler than last year:

* All members welcome, new included

* Make a post in this thread that contains the following:
    ---- A video of you playing your current rig
    ---- A list of your basic signal chain gear (pickups, guitar, gain stages, amp, speakers, cab)
    ---- A brief description of what you like and don't like about your sound

* One entry-post per member will be counted so make your first your best

Regular comment posts and discussion are welcome here, but only one actual video-entry post per member, please.

The prizes are badass! Winners receive the full ReWind Consultation & Customization Experience:

Based on their entry post, I will build and provide whatever combination of pickups and/or electronics I think will best take their guitar in the direction of their stated sonic goals. Each winner will have their own 100% custom ReWind Electric guitar electronics system, tailored just to their personal guitar, rig, ears and heart. Winners are responsible for the installation.

So, if you have a million guitars and amps you'll need to pick just one guitar and an amp or three for the entry post. Also, please don't enter with gear that you no longer own or are likely going to sell, trade, smash or burn before the end of the giveaway. That would be difficult for everyone.

The contest starts right now. The end date will be determined once we get some entries rolling in, but I'm not going to let it drag on for too long so start making your videos now.

Here's what the winners received last year. Several GRAND in prizes!
    [​IMG]

This year, the prizes have the potential to be even more amazing with many new ReWind products in the lineup and even more knowledge gained though repairs, research and experimentation!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  2. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

I'm in. I should be able to record the vid in a couple days.

Who and cooljuk like this.
  3. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD!.........It's a Nerlin! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Great idea, James! And very generous! :thumb:
    Somebody is gonna be really stoked at the end!
    Me, I don't have a massive amount of gear, just a small practice amp and I usually play through my pedal into the system, so I'm out!
    Good thing I have the Shaws to keep me company!:D

Best of luck to everyone!:jam:I know I'll be watching! :dude:

Who and cooljuk like this.
  4. cooljuk

Hey, man. That's a TOTALLY appropriate rig! If you've got an electric guitar, you qualify! Quality or quantity of gear is not a requirement. Please enter if you would like to! I definitely encourage it.

Who, snaredrum and DarrellV like this.
  5. Rapdog

Rapdog Senior Member

---- A video of you playing your current rig: image will connect to video

[​IMG]

---- A list of your basic signal chain gear (pickups, guitar, gain stages, amp, speakers, cab)

Les paul copy with indian rosewood neck. Sheptone tribute pickups. 9/8/12/10/10/10/3 oclcok for main gain/bass gain/treble/mids/bass/presence/master volume for a HXDA 50 watt amp and v30 and scum back m75 speakers in a 2/12 closed back cab.

---- A brief description of what you like and don't like about your sound
    I like the overall tone of the guitar but there is a boominess to the bass pickups at higher volumes. The bridge pickup feels like it has too much treble at the high end above the 13th fret. hard to use without rolling off the volume or tone when I get up there. The tone is great for tight punchy rhythm and the lower frets sound great with overdrive on the treble. I have trouble dialing in my sound with the bass. I thought a different output PAF may be the trick or a magnet swap at the least. I am going for the a PAF sound without the harshness for the bridge and the smooth tone of a bass pickup while retaining the string balance. I also don't like how the volume drastically rolls off from 10-8 and then I feel like I lose my sound. I would like to have a pot that is a smoother roll off and not so drastic.

* One entry-post per member will be counted so make your first your best

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Jer, kakerlak, Who and 1 other person like this.
  6. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

Yeah guys, this isn't a "hey check my rig out" game - no tubes versus SS nonsense. If you get noise out of you into a radiator, it counts!

kboman, Harmony, DarrellV and 2 others like this.
  7. cooljuk

Not only does it count, I'm impressed!

DarrellV likes this.
  8. cooljuk

Rapdog - PERFECT entry. Way to lead by example!

Though I like your tone overall, I also see just what you are saying and totally understand the points you made. Not at all uncommon problems for us LP guys with the boomy neck and shrill treble in the bridge. The pot taper issue is also a very common for many. If you win, this will make my job very easy. :)

Jer and Who like this.
  9. Mr. Satchmo

Mr. Satchmo Senior Member

Official Entry for Mr. Satch
    In this video I'm playing the solo from Gary Moore Empty Rooms. This song is one of my favorites.

The signal chain is as follows:

Gibson Les Paul Standard T with CreamTone A3

Walrus Audio Deep 6 Compressor>Jackson Audio Prism, used as clean boost>Fulltone Fulldrive 2 JHS Mod>Selah Effects Scarlett Love V3 (Plexi Setting)>Westminster Effects Tap Tremolo> Dunlop DVP3 (X)> Strymon OLA chorus> Strymon Timeline>Strymon Bigsky> AMPS

Also I use a Loop switcher with MIDI control for the whole board (Disaster area DCP-5 Gen 3)

The amps I use are Orange Rockerverb 50 MKIII, and Jackson Ampworks Scarlett 30 in stereo.

What I like, I like the brightness of the A3, however I would like to have something that has a warmer tone. What I don't like is that the tone can be overly bright.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    cousingrandpa, Byron999, Jer and 5 others like this.
  10. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

Sheeet. I need to buy another guitar now

cooljuk likes this.
  11. bassmannlespaulman

bassmannlespaulman Senior Member

Where do you post it though? On this post or are you making another one for that specifically?

cooljuk likes this.
  12. devnulljp

devnulljp Senior Member

This is just a noodle I did the night after I installed this old Teisco Gold Foil in my Tele

Glebe Guitar Tele with 1964 Teisco goldfoil pickup in the neck position
    Bridge pickup is a Don Mare El Black Krowe (7.4k)
    Straight into 1966 Vibrolux Reverb
    Nothing else in the way, although I would normally put a Rangemaster in there (either the original 1965 Rangie, or my PigeonFX clone)

I love the chirp of the Teisco. It's almost microphonic but has a great upper midrange, almost like a very very low output PAF, but without the beef of a humbucker. Sweeter than a standard tele neck pickup. I love the two together, but it took a while to get the tone cap value right. Initially it was OoP too, which is an interesting sound with P90s or HBs, but I really didn't dig it with the gold foil. Luckily, it was just a matter flipping two wires.

The body is routed for a humbucker under there, and I'd love to try a really low output A2 PAF type in there (he hinted...). Keep th e chirp, but maybe mix it up a bit. Would probably need a 500k pot instead of the 250k. Coil tap and phase switch with a HB?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Jer, Harmony, kakerlak and 3 others like this.
  13. cooljuk

Right here with the others, man. Just post it in this thread.

Who likes this.
  14. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

OK, here is my video. Unfortunately, both the player and audio quality suck. (I became very self conscious and played even worse than I usually do, and the audio on my camera is terrible - but it is what it is.)

So this rig is my Epiphone 1960 Tribute and my Marshall DSL40C. That's it. No effects pedals - nothing but me, the guitar, and the amp.

The guitar sounds pretty good (with the right amp setting it sounds really good), but it doesn't quite have the character I'm looking for out of it. A pair of ReWind pickups would go a long way towards remedying that situation. ;)

15. Xrun Morzov

Xrun Morzov Senior Member

James, I'm still waiting mail with your pups and harness for my currently stuffed with EMGs '98 Explorer ))

Meanwhile I will enter the competition with the guitar I yet have to find right pickups/electronics for.
    The guitar: Gibson R9 '96 with 60's T-top pickups
    The amp: Matchless Independence 35 with Bad Cat Unleash attenuator
    The cab: Divided by 13 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Blue and Heritage Greenback
    (I use only Greenback in this video)

No pedals used in this video - only the amp footswitch. The sound is from the so-so digital camera (Canon IXUS 980 IS). Live tone is not bad overall, but bridge pickup is somewhat harsh (I set its volume at 9), while neck sometimes gets muddy and unpronounced. The heights of both pickups were painfully set and auditioned, still not 100% happy with the result. I also get T-tops on my Norlins - '71 Custom and '76 Standard - no such problem there!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  16. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

I was a winner last year and can tell you it has made me a better player with killer tone! Good luck to all you won't be disappointed.

Jer, Harmony, DarrellV and 4 others like this.
  17. Rapdog

Rapdog Senior Member

When does the contest end? So i have something to look forward to... ha ha

18. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

Stock Gibson ES-335 with Burstbuckers through a 15W Monoprice Tube Amp.

I find the burstbuckers to be a little shrill and prefer Classic 57's. I play mostly blues and melodic solos. I'd really like to try out a Peter Green type in the neck to be honest.

Hope you guys enjoy, thanks :wave:

19. scrumm21

scrumm21 Silver Supporter Premium Member

as a limited talented guitar newbie, the idea of making a vid scares me to death ..BUT the thought of owning another set of ReWind pickups is all the motivation needed to overcome that fear. I now know what I'm doing this weekend. The Low Output ReWind pickups I installed earlier this year in one of my LPs are quite simply - Awesome!! Kudos to James !

cooljuk likes this.
  20. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

If I can post a video showing what a hack I am on guitar ANYONE can.

It just goes to show I need the most help! ;)