That'll Be The Day ending

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by GitFiddle, Feb 16, 2018.

1. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Senior Member

Can anyone help out an old man with a feeble mind?

I am trying to learn the closing harmony guitar licks to Linda Rondstat's version of That'll Be The Day. Our band's other guitar player is doing the upper harmony and I am doing the lower harmony.

I've always had a hell of a time picking out individual notes of layered harmony parts. There is like 14 notes in a walk-down. I have been listening to 4 different youtube vids of live and studio versions of the song. I've even been running the youtube videos at half speed which helps. I think I have it so far but not entirely certain. We are going to perform this tomorrow night at a gig. The rest of the song is no problem at all.

Just wondering if anyone out there has worked these notes out before? (or even gotten an inside scope from the original players). There is even one version (The Summit 1978) where the upper part is played by a sax instead of another guitar. That helped somewhat, to separate the note lines.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    Git

2. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Senior Member

The notes I have so far are: C F Eb D C B A# G# G F D C A C
    All played on the first three fret positions around the F chord shape.

3. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

What I get from first quick listen through is :

(all triplets)

C
    F Eb D
    C B Bb
    Ab G F
    D C A
    C

Which (allowing for enharmonic spelling corrections ;) ) is the same as you already have. I think you have it right. I've only spent a few minutes on it, but it seems that I hear what you hear.

Just out of interest though, I'd probably play it in 3rd position, so that each triplet figure is on one string. Like this :

C (G string 5th fret)
    F Eb D (B string frets 6 4 3)
    C B Bb (G string frets 5 4 3)
    Ab G F (D string frets 6 5 3)
    D C A (A string frets 5 3 0)
    C (A string fret 3)

It just seems to fall under my fingers easier that way, but play it however you're most comfortable.

Hope that helps.

:)

GitFiddle likes this.
  4. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Senior Member

Thanks so much Huw. I was doing it down in first position since it looked like Waddy or Andrew was playing it down there on one of the live videos. This allows for the C to B as a pull-off on the B string and the Ab to G as a pull-off on the G string.

I've never been able to separate harmony lines very well. Like all of the ABB stuff, when I pick it out myself I always grab notes from both parts. Those tutorial videos with Dickie and his son Duane are amazing. I don't normally like to learn leads note for note, but some just need to be done right.

Thanks again for you time.

5. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

You're welcome.

For what it's worth, I was listening to the album version, on headphones. The guitars are split left and right, so the 'phones helped me distinguish the two lines.

:)

GitFiddle likes this.
  6. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Senior Member

Yeah, I started with the album version then kept looking at all the live clips I could find. Sometimes you can catch a glimpse of their hands. I've just been listening with some old 'puter speakers. Guess I need to get a good pair of headphones. I still have an old set of Koss from the 70s. lol
    Thanks again.