That Was a Surprise.

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Valkyrie, Oct 12, 2017 at 7:24 PM.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Senior Member

so I posted in another thread in the tone section that I put a Jonesy 50s harness and switch along with a set of custombuckers in my 2016 plain top Trad I gotT from SW last year. It is a stellar guitar and the best of my three Trads already.

I bought an R9 recently and right out of the case I was blown away. It’s just killer and the best playing and sounding of my LP quartet.

But...

My 2016 is now a monster. Really. The guitar surpasses any LP I have ever played by a long way. It just roars and whispers at will. Incredibly reactive and the tone is just unreal. I cannot put it down.

A couple hours at the kitchen table and a couple hundred in parts and this guitar is outrageous. She is a little more noisy with 60hz hum but my house has crappy grounding so I live with it.

Just had to put it out there. I’m amazed how this thing went from great to exceptional.

alnico59, Sct13 and rockinlespaul like this.
  2. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Pics or it didn't happen:hyper::photos:

Sct13, Fattyfrisco and Slater529 like this.
  3. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

So would you say that wood matters?
    :naughty:

Fattyfrisco likes this.
  4. Fattyfrisco

Fattyfrisco Senior Member

Will you take $200.00 for the r9 firewood?

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  5. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Better than the R9? I've had Standards that blew away the historic that I had at the time. Hell, my wraptail which is a home job can keep up with some historics as well so it would not surprise me at all if your Traditional was better sound/tone wise than the R9.

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  6. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Wraptail is cheating.
    Too easy to get tone.

jamman, soorel, RAG7890 and 2 others like this.
  7. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Sometimes that happens. As the guys who build race cars would say, "All the components are doing the right math".

Actually I'm not surprised by this. A Traditional is a LP too. Other than the tenon, no real big difference in it's construction. Still a big hunk of Mahogany with a maple top. What makes most Traditional LP's 'meh' for me is the stock chrome hardware and the ring burst paint most display. Being more picky, the 50's neck carve is not as refined compared to that of a reissue. Other than that, still sounds like a LP.

Honestly my stock Traditional was absolutely the worst sounding LP I ever heard in my life. It played real nice. But it was real bad tone wise. I ripped the guitar down to a carcass and then hand picked every part for it. Basically making a poor man's R9. Now it sounds much, much better. Compared to my reissues it has a thinner tone (Tele on roids) that sits differently in the mix. Not necessarily a bad thing IMO.

The reissues I own/owned/played compared to the USA line have a softer, fatter attack. With a heavy distorted sound that is not really a plus. But when things clean up a bit, playing classic rock and blues, the difference is more noticeable and appreciated.

rockinlespaul likes this.
  8. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

If it has good bones to begin with, so to speak, top quality parts can only make it better imho.

9. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Senior Member

I was torn which guitar to put the parts into. I have a 2010 Wine Red Trad with a one piece body and this crazy flame/quilt looking top. But it is just an average Trad. It’s good but not great. My 2011 HCSB is really nice and I like it as is so it wasn’t a contender. This guitar is as actually the second one I had from SW. The first was just dead. No liveliness at all. Sent it right back. This one came and it was just perfect as a Trad can get I guess. However, the Classic 57s are falling out of favor for me.