TEZ ™ Custom Guitar Plectrums: { Pick my picks !!!}

Discussion in 'Sponsor Classifieds' started by terence_tez, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

That was a quick reply :) Have you any idea whether you could get that 'burnt' look on the edges?

I just PM'd you too - I'm really liking the idea of one of the 'ivory coloured' ones with a burnt-in Kanji on a leather necklace and think that might be a nice little gift for wives (or husbands I suppose) to buy for their rockstar partner.

2. leftyguitarman

leftyguitarman Senior Member

I want one of the white ones, but only 1mm thick. I'll send you $5 through PayPal.

3. terence_tez

terence_tez V.I.P. Member

EDIT:BTW,this one has an asymmetrical bevel.Meaning the side where you pick with has a wider bevel.Will try capture that on the camera,as well as drawing a diagram...

Symmetrical
    [​IMG]

Asymmetrical
    [​IMG]

Hope you guys can see it...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darn.Left out some important stuff.I know I'm really long-winded but bear with me please.As you can see by now,this is how I am man.I'm have serious OCD.A hardcore perfectionist,though I know I'm not perfect.Hence the long and mostly boring posts as I'm really anal with details.Damn tiring most times.But then again.I have to say,it has served me well in many other aspects as well.Like making picks for example.

Anyway,I forgot to add that besides what I have already listed as the things I need to know,like what type,shape,thickness and stuff like that,most importantly,I need to know...

Are you right-handed or left-handed?<Don't laugh,read on first>

Do you pick flat out parallel to the strings or like most people,at an angle,or both,for different sounds/texture/dynamics?

And if you do angle your pick,how much?Slighty or at a steep angle?

If you do pick at an angle,then it does matter if you are right or left handed.If you don't,it won't,as I'll just make you one symmatrically bevelled.If you 'angle',then an asymmetrical one would be better,IMO.If you are the fiddling type who always tweak your controls/adjust your pick grip like,say,Gary Moore for example,I can make you one that is symmetrical on one side,and asymmetrical on the other.Don't laugh at me just yet,it does make hell of a difference in playability and comfort.

The other thing is,I am going to select a few members to try out my picks in exchange for an honest review.Problem is,I'm not sure to make them all the same,or should I customize to their specs.I wanted to customize,to their preferences,as that is what I'm offering.However,on second thoughts,since they are not consistant,so will be the reviews.What sould I do man?Any suggestions?

4. terence_tez

I've decided to confirm the use of three standard materials/colours.One in Ivory/cream/white,one in black and a clear one as well.Clear will come buffed or unbuffed/matt.Perhaps you would like a buffed pick with an unbuffed bevel,or an unbuffed pick with a buffed bevel.

BTW,these are just to show you what I offer.Don't be intimidated.I won't create confusion like Fender with with their intimidating catalogue.Basically,I'm trying to get more feedback,that's all.Give me some time,and I'll make most things standard.Some may ask why Don't I plan everything before announcing my plans,It's simply because I really hope to offer the best I can provide in terms of both my product and service.Thank you all for your input and patience.

5. kat

kat Senior Member

I want one too! Very cool!

6. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

It depends on whether you're hoping to get more orders for Custom picks or Regular ones. It seems that this is a specialty thing so Custom might be better - otherwise when they're reviewed, the standard pick might not work for one person. But if they're reviewing a pick based on their personal playing, they're going to be able to compare a Custom one with the picks they use all the time.

Just my 2c :)

7. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

I've thrown this mock-up to show what I'd like to see (as I mentioned, I think these would look cool as a necklace hanging from leather, too). The Ka kanji would not only give extra grip, but it looks cool imo, and it's also appropriate given how strong your picks probably are :)

[​IMG]

8. terence_tez

I think I'll do this-Same basic shape and material.Different size/thickness and tip[pointed/rounded].What do you guy think?

9. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

I think that sounds like a plan :)

10. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

I want a couple, I've been on the V-Pick train, and they are wonderful, finest pick I've ever used. But, it looks like your onto something here, with the asymetrical bevel...I gotta try that. PM me with a total, and how I can pay ya!!

11. terence_tez

Hey,big fan of Mr Vinnie Moore's picks here.In fact,its his success and passion for pick making which inspired me to do this.I have e-mailed him before this about how I admire his work and that I gonna make my own as well.In fact again,I just sent him another to tell him about what I'm doing.That man is a genius.His picks are hard to beat man.

Just one thing,you are his customer,and I really won't feel good if you are gonna switch from using his to mine.Die.Dilema...

12. terence_tez

BTW,I know this sounds like an oxymoron,but I would like to call it 'symmetrically asymmetrical',if you know what i mean.Both sides are mirror images of each other.

Man,lack of sleep.What am I talking about?:laugh2:

13. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

"symmetrically asymmetrical"

That'd make a great album title :)

14. steadyriot

steadyriot Senior Member

Way to thick for my likeing but it really looks like a great product :thumb:

15. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

there's some excellent thinking behind these, man. i'll buy a couple whenever they're ready :thumb:

16. return of the mac

return of the mac Banned

Nice work. :thumb: I'd try one for sure. :)

17. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

Oh, I'd never put down my V-picks, they have improved my tone and playing 100 fold, so I'll use them forever, but who sez I can't have both?? I am very interested in your design!! never-ever get stuck and not try new things!!

18. terence_tez

Darn again.Forgot something AGAIN.

Do you guys use the rounded part of your picks?I very seldom do,but I know many like to.You see,I actually find it kinda cool aesthetically to only bevel the sides,all the way up,leaving the top 'crown' untouched.Looks kinda like an arrowhead.So those who don't use those round edges/corner to play,let me know.I'll make it that way should you want me to...

Another look i really like is to bevel all the way up and across the 'crown' only on the side you pick with.

Will draw them out/add pics as soon as I can.

Another thing is,another reason why I am so detailed[long-winded] in my explainations here,is because when I do set up a website/webpage,I wanna be able to just copy/paste/edit from all the information here.Too tiring and also a waste of time IMO to do it all over again from scratch.Thank you for bearing with me mates.

That said,do check back on my originals posts.As those contain the most information,I will be edit it if I though about something i wish to add.I will notify you guys of course.Otherwise,it's going to be really messy and hard to read up once this thread grows.Thanks.

19. terence_tez

Ya,I know.Sounds dumb right?

Yeah,I tend to overcomplicate things.My sis was just telling me I'll never make money from this.My OCD,together with always trying for perfection,will compel me to spend way too much time and effort just to make one pick,every single pick.She knows I'm still trying to think of more ways to improve it.

Actually,I'm just doing that with the prototype/templates.Once I get those perfect,the rest will be easier.Moreover,as with anything,you can never have too much practice man.An ex-boss once said to me,''The more you learn,the less you realize you know''

It's really therapeutic as well,making picks.Like fishing.Believe it or not,my take on the philosophy of making picks is what I learnt from Bruce Lee,one of my idols.The man single-handedly created a martial art form.He said,''Absorb what is useful.Disregard that which is useless.Create the essential.''.Something like that.I find that theory to be really useful.I actually try to apply that to my playing too[really]

.In making picks,I try to understand what makes the great picks standout/special.I don't bother about what I find to be of no improvement.Then I try to connect the pieces.Kinda like how Eric clapton describes his playing.By playing a certain phrase the way one of his heroes would have done,one which he find that no other player could have/can do better.Phrase after phrase,all from different influences.In one solo itself,he would have phrases from many various players.And Where is he?He is the 'line' that connects them all.Fascinating.Oops,this is what I mean guys.I just keep typing as I'm thinking and before I know it,I've subconsciously typed out a big pile of stuff...my bad.

This is where having OCD sucks...

20. terence_tez

Way to thick for my likeing but it really looks like a great product

I'm gonna be offering thinner ones once I am more settled.no worries!!!

there's some excellent thinking behind these, man. i'll buy a couple whenever they're ready

Thanks!!!Will do!!!

Nice work. I'd try one for sure.

Thank you thank you.

Oh, I'd never put down my V-picks, they have improved my tone and playing 100 fold, so I'll use them forever, but who sez I can't have both?? I am very interested in your design!! never-ever get stuck and not try new things!!

That will be great.Just don't tell the others how much better the Vs are compared to my Ts...

You know,I actually told Mr Vinnie this as well,that I will take out his pick to act as a 'quality control' for mine.If a pick I made is not as well made as his,it's a 'fail' pick...