TEZ ™ Custom Guitar Plectrums: { Pick my picks !!!}

Discussion in 'Sponsor Classifieds' started by terence_tez, Dec 11, 2009.

1. terence_tez

terence_tez V.I.P. Member

To let you have a better understanding about what i'm doing,here's my message to Flick,with permission of course...

Hi Flick,I need your consent on a matter.Basically,I want to start a thread regarding the picks I'm making and wanna start selling.

You see,I am crazy over everything guitars related.I spend so much time learning,playing,researching and checking out gear.I am one of those idiots who can spend hours experimenting on the best way to hold a pick,and i have always been bevelling my own picks.Always looking to find a better pick,as that's is one part of the signal chain i think is so important and the part i can afford to try out as many as i want.

I tried almost all the most popular brands,gauges,thickness,types of material,types of bevel shape and angle you can imagine.I love the jazz3,the purple 2mm dunlop delrins,pickboy carbon,dava control,v-picks and so on.And I try to understand what makes those picks so popular and why they play so nicely.I really like Vinnie Moore/v-picks designs.Best I ever played.Even e-mailed him to let him know how much i appreciate his picks.I also told him that his picks have inspired my playing,and more importantly,inspired me to make my own.

I started combining all the best characteristics of all those picks which I find to be the best.After making and refining my designing out of whatever suitable material i can find,I got lucky.Found this really old shoe horn made from this really hard and smooth material not unlike what i see as pickguards on many guitars.Most importantly,it's thickness is exactly what I had in mind.

THe only part useable was the handle,which is just suficcient for me to make one pick.I traced out the shaped out of a template i've made,and to cut the long story short,finally made a pick which i could proudly say is totally hademade to precision with lots of love and care.One that I cam humbly say plays and feels,though different,as good as any,if not better than the best i've got the chance to play.

For the longest time,it has been my dream to make a living out of something guitar related.Tried learning electronics,even asked Jonesy if i can distribute his stuff here.But that's just not working for me.Suck at it.But i've always been really good at crafting things.Top in 'Design and technology' class in school.So i have some basic skills in this regard.The creation of this pick really gives me the hope that I might be able to after all.

Of course,don't just take my word for it.Which is why I hope to start a thread to introduce and explain my concept and what i wish to do.Also,to get an idea of whether or not people will be interested to purchase my picks.Of course,i will choose a few of you guys to give my picks a try.I will need to know what kind of picks the 'testers' are already using,though,before I can tell give them something that hopefully make them happier than what they are currently using.

Hope I'm not spamming if I do it.That's why i think it's better to ask you for your permission first.

Oh,sorry for the long ass message.I'm so excited...

Regards,
    Terence

Sorry guys,so excited about this,hence the super long message.I have not decided on what to call them,though I do have some ideas,so any suggestions would be great.

For,now,I intend to do solely custom work.i need to know what you are currently using now,the thickness and so on.you can email me designs you've drawn yourself.A great way to find out what thickness is best for you,if you are unsure,is to hold a small piece of plastercine/clay between your fingers and slow press it thinner and thinner till you are at a thickness you reall feel comfortable holding.

I wish to add that I am not claiming to make the best picks ever,or that they are the holy grail of picks,but i have indeed experimented extensively,and made many good picks better,before i made one entirely from scratch.I really do believe I have something here to offer,my very minute contribution to the guitar playing community.One thing I dare say is,that I make picks with lots of love and care,and I would only sell it if I am totally satisfied with it.No pick goes out that I wouldn't use it myself.

Ok,enough talking.Here are some picks/pics...

Due to time constarints,I only started taking pics/documenting after i rough cut out the pick already,but i assure you guys they are made from scratch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I trace out the bevel carefully.I don't leave nothing to chance.I missed out on a pic showing a centre line that goes around the entire circumference of the pick though.my bad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I prefer scraping instead of filing.More accurate IMO.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey,looks like I do have a pic with the centre line.
    [​IMG]

Almost done...
    [​IMG]

smoothening out the bevel...
    [​IMG]

Smooth ass a baby's butt cheeks...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wet sanding...
    [​IMG]

Tsukiyomi and FLICKOFLASH like this.
  2. terence_tez

[​IMG]

It's alive!!!Its alive!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before i show you guys the final pic I have of this pick's making process,I wanna share something I discovered with you guys.For those who already know,bear with me please...

This is the image of the tip I've drawn out for easier viewing.Really hard to capture on the camera with my sucky photographic skills.It shows a conventional shape of the bevel.
    [​IMG]

I realized that slightly worn picks always feel and sound better.Also,they make it easier to coax harmonics outof your guitar.Also,as we all know,rounded tips reduce resistance,whereas pointed/sharp sound more focused.I try to combine the best of both worlds.Thus,my design...
    [​IMG]

This last pic shows the final product,with the tip as i want it.you could choose a normal rounded/pointed tips if you want to.But trust me man,this tip really enhances the volume, and sound.I suck at pinch harmonics.Now,I can get then anywhere on the neck man.Just imagine what it can do for you guys who are already good at it. I tried really hard to capture that on the camera but this is the best i could do man.As I've said,I suck at taking pictures.Hope you guys can see it...
    [​IMG]

Presto.The very first pick I made from scratch entirely by hand.4mm thick btw.Killer sound.Killer feel.Made by me.Yay...

3. terence_tez

Here is another I just made.Just pics though.Made the exact same way as the one above,so I reckon no captions/commentary needed.This one is 2.5mm.Enjoy!!!

EDIT:BTW,this one has an asymmetrical bevel.Meaning the side where you pick with has a wider bevel.Will try capture that on the camera,as well as drawing a diagram...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT:Do you guys use the rounded part of your picks?I very seldom do,but I know many like to.You see,I actually find it kinda cool aesthetically to only bevel the sides,all the way up,leaving the top 'crown' untouched.Looks kinda like an arrowhead.So those who don't use those round edges/corner to play,let me know.I'll make it that way should you want me to...

Another look i really like is to bevel all the way up and across the 'crown' only on the side you pick with.

Will draw them out/add pics as soon as I can.

There.hope you all enjoyed seeing them as much as I've enjoyed making them.I have yet to price them yet though.They will not be as cheap as the production picks out there as I do put in a coinsiderable amount of time and effort in making each one,but rest assured they won't be as enpensive as the other custom picks in the market right.I work from home,so that keeps the costs down.For now,Of course,MLP members get a discount.And i've decideded that if I do decide to have a standard line in the future,MLP members still get to do custom designs at the same price,I am going to contact Flick about sending some members samples to try so they can review them for the rest of you.I am so excited about this.Bless you all!!!

Regards,
    Terence

4. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

What is the materials ?

5. FLICKOFLASH

Is the name TeZ pick's ? or tEz picks ?

6. Zack Pomerleau

Zack Pomerleau Senior Member

I want a clear one!

7. FLICKOFLASH

I hear the material eye glass lens are made of is good material.

8. 80's Rocker

80's Rocker Senior Member

That is bad@$$!

9. ojedad23

ojedad23 the oj guy Premium Member

i want a heart shaped one if possible, what would the price be??

10. VastHorizon

VastHorizon Senior Member

Be ready to accept trades from OJ, Terence. :)

11. terence_tez

Well.I chose the nicest acrylic i can find.The first one is just a prototype/template.Of all the picks i've played,I like the acrylic ones the best.So,I'm going with the best acrylic i can find.Will offer one in ivory and one in black as well.Thinking of bone or tusq for the ivory one.Not decided on the black one though.

OJ,for the amount of time i put in,Im thinking US$5 would be a fair price.Custom orders will be priced at US$8,for the general public of course...you guys get it at the same rate.Need to work out exactly how much time goes into making one.Give me a little more time to confirm.Also,I need to know how much I need to pay to buy the sheets in bulk.

Great suggestion Flick.I shall try that for sure.What exactly do they use for those lenses?Any idea?

12. terence_tez

Hey Flick,I was thinking Tez Picks too!!!

13. terence_tez

Or the Tezmania Devil?

14. TheJrAce

TheJrAce Senior Member

cool idea. I'd be curious as to how it feels and plays.

15. terence_tez

well,sound wise,absolutely great,for me at least.after buffing the bevel,it feels really smooth and 'buttery'.however,for those of you used to a matt finish,like the dunlop tortex series,I highly recommend it unbuffed.More 'bite' in the attack,and sounds a little more aggresive too.Thats how i like mine...

16. terence_tez

I'm thinking,should I set up a web page/site to sell my picks?Or should I just sell them on E-bay.Or,should I follow Jonesy do it both ways?

17. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

Both. Why limit yourself? Oh and I really like this:

[​IMG]

That'd be incredible if there were a Kanji engraved into it as well - an extra cool little touch that would give a little more grip too :)

18. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

badass, I used to have some acrylic picks I used on tour they were great.

I haven't found a clear pick in almost 10 years, will definitely be looking forward to seeing what you do.

19. terence_tez

Cool.That's what I thought too.Its just that I have no experience with selling online or using E-bay.I'm offering customized grips too.Matted surfaces,grooves,as long as it can be done by hand,i'll do it man.BTW,the one you like is not really a design.The black outlines are there to indicate how much and how steep the bevel should be...

20. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Senior Member

Polycarbonate