Tesla fires hundreds of employees

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by TheX, Oct 14, 2017.

1. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

We (Google and other tech companies, backed by taxpayer dollars and federal loans) built a giant boondoggle called Ivanpah Solar Power Facility. It cost billions of dollars and doesn't work very well. It's terribly inefficient and terribly expensive and terribly dangerous for all the migratory birds and eagles that happen to fly through it's "beam".

It looked good on paper though and the people that sold the idea must have had some really cool power points and brochures...and kickbacks to the politicians who approved and funded it.

Hopefully the one you're talking about in the ME will actually work.

In the USA, our electrical grid isn't designed for intermittent power generation like that from solar and wind. The grid, mostly built in the 1950s and 1960s won't work well with green energy. The cost to modernize the grid is estimated at over $5t...so more like $10t in reality. Not only is it expensive, it's complicated by rights of way and private property and other issues.

We're a long, long, long way from being able to have a green energy grid. Nukes on the other hand, would work very well.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. Caleb

Caleb Senior Member

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why the hell we don't use more nuclear power? Too scary I guess?

cybermgk, SteveGangi and KSG_Standard like this.
  3. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Because atoms are Eevul.

SteveGangi, Caleb and KSG_Standard like this.
  4. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

In the early 70s, I worked as an attorney for an investor -owned electric utility. The company wanted to build a nuclear plant, and spent a lot of money on planning and land acquisition. The management discovered (a bit late) that the cost would be immense, and the company neither had, nor could raise that amount of money. I don't have sufficient information to discuss safety matters of such plants. But I can say that they cost so much to build that it is very difficult for a utility to recover on its investment without government aid with the construction costs. I understand that this aid is given in Europe, where nuclear plants are more prevalent.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  5. LP121

LP121 Senior Member

Has anyone ever gotten lost while in an unfamiliar area? How much worse would that be in an electric?

Dolebludger, SteveGangi and staffy like this.
  6. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

A combination of public misinformation and a financially burdensome regulatory process.

7. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

If you're out of gas, you can still run the radio so you can't hear the mutant zombie vampires sneaking up on your ass...
    'Lectric car dead? You're screwed

8. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

That's never happened to me either, not in some sort of significant way.

When I'm driving somewhere I tend to be prepared.

9. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Again, im not suggesting that it would be a triviality to convert. (And it's possible that you're not hinting that I am making that suggestion).

I'm not even suggesting we do fully convert. I'm just suggesting that solar/wind could provide additional power over and above what we have now.

I think fusion would be the key if we can get that working. I'm not opposed to fission either if done sensibly. Although it FAR from perfect.

10. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

I'm not hinting or implying that you think the matter is trivial...just riffing off of your post.:cheers:

11. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Um, the technology and cost have changed quite a bit in the last 40, almost 50 years.

12. cybermgk

And run the UV lamps, at least for a burst or two.

13. cybermgk

Yep exactly. I think folks forget the days of 8-10 mpg cars (or worse), stuff closing at 6 pm (or earlier) etc.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  14. DotStudio

Other than passive cooling in the next gen reactors (AP1000 and the like), the designs are pretty much the same. That being said, they are good designs that have lasted the test of time and are perfectly safe outside of negligence (Chernobyl, coupled with a terrible design not utilized in the US) or not planning for known potential disasters (Fukushima).

The cost is just as prohibitive, if not more, due to regulation and the fact that there is very little experience in building new reactors after TMI (which should've been seen as a validation of the safety of US reactors considering how many errors were made and the limited consequences, but I digress). The cost factor is evidenced by the recent bankruptcy of Westinghouse and the uncertainty of completing the reactors currently under construction.

Regardless, I hope we build new reactors, if not for job security alone. :laugh2:

Olds442 likes this.
  15. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

they should switch to thorium and get away from uranium.

regarding tesla, i hope they succeed. the cars are sexy.

16. cybermgk

I was also referring to the advances in underlying control systems, automation, computers et al.

But, when looking at the levelised costs per unit of output, Nuclear is really not that expensive. The expense is in the initial plant construction costs. And, a good portion of what makes that initial cost expensive is caused by outside sources (political and people opposition, regulatory, etc) that impacts the financing. All of that could be lessened if those forces arrayed against were removed.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/economic-aspects/economics-of-nuclear-power.aspx

https://alternativeenergy.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001269

http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2012/ph241/schultz2/

Bill Hicklin likes this.
  17. DotStudio

Agreed.

18. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Genuinely interested - does anyone know / can provide a link to a study that shows the relative efficiency of:

- Drill for oil; refine into gasoline; burn in a car engine to provide power.

vs

- Drill for oil; refine into fuel oil; burn in a power station to produce steam; turn turbines to produce electricity; transfer via various up/down transformers to home supply; charge batteries; release from batteries to power car.

That oil-fired power station is gonna have to be hella efficient to offset all that other cr@p, isn’t it? How much more efficient is a power station than a modern internal combustion engine?

Obviously if we magically figure out cold fusion or somehow generate the worlds electricity needs from wind/solar/tide power it’s all great but that ain’t happening any time soon.

And we haven’t even talked about the vastly increased environmental impact of building/disposing of all those batteries ...

Malikon, Bill Hicklin and cybermgk like this.
  19. DotStudio

I may be wrong, but I don't think anybody is suggesting to offset the need for more electricity by burning oil, at least in this thread. It would be interesting to see a similar study for coal though regarding cost/ emissions.

20. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

charge your car at home with your solar charged home battery.