Terrorist Attack in Edmonton?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Roberteaux, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Fiat Lux

Fiat Lux Senior Member

Nope, that’s just bollocks.

Diversity may be a cultural asset, but it is not a strength.

A country’s strength comes from having homogeneous values, freedom, law and order, a sense of national pride, economic, technological and educational contributions to the improvement of the world, and world influence. A diverse country can be strong, but diversity itself is not what gives a country strength.

Accepting people from all corners of the world without regard to their commitment to Canadian unity has not made Canada a stronger country. It has made Canada a diverse country. If diversity is Canada’s objective it seems to be doing well. If strength of community is Canada’s goal, today’s terrorist events tend to indicate a breakdown in social cohesion and national “strength”, rather than an improvement.

Cheers

2. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Hey I just live here. What would I know.

3. Fiat Lux

Fiat Lux Senior Member

The rhetoric? What it sounds like in an echo chamber?

I dunno... tell me how importing incompatible people in the name of diversity makes Canada stronger.

Cheers

4. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

You brought this theme up twice. You mentioned "raking in" and "importing". I think you're misunderstanding what is happening. Canada isn't actively going out to third world countries and putting people on planes and bringing them to Canada.

Secondly, you're changing your tack a little. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding. You originally said "diverse" and now you're saying "incompatible". They're not necessarily the same thing.

Anyway, I don't view people as incompatible. People may hold belief systems that are incompatible, but doesn't that mean that their belief systems are incompatible? Not that the actual people are incompatible?

And for the record, I don't support some sort of blanket open border policy either, but that doesn't mean that I think we need to stop allowing foreigners in, or only allow in white people. Canada already has a very multicultural fabric and for the most part it works pretty well.

Anyway, reading between the lines it seems you have an agenda that you're pretty set on.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  5. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

Caution, people. We don't want a political argument, do we?

Howard2k likes this.
  6. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Is this multi-choice?

Caleb and Donal like this.
  7. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Diversity in itself doesn’t make a country or community stronger, unless it’s addressed head on, with a realistic process and an open heart/mind. Not everyone or every group can do this, sometimes because ignorance or stubbornness.
    CA is pretty diverse, especially in the cities. I wouldn’t claim it as a strength. I’d say it’s something we’ve learned to live with. And that’s not to be confused with any bigotry; it’s just people living in proximity who might not have chosen to do so, if asked privately.
    But diversity can become unity, if actively engaged. It’s not that humans can’t function cohesively with birds of different feathers. The military proves that, pretty quickly, albeit with varying degrees, ranging from “pretty good” to “perfectly”, in my limited experience. Just making a guy dress in all blue or all green doesn’t erase his upbringing, but for the most part, I saw people who wouldn’t ordinarily be friends (without being placed together by outside influences) getting along swimmingly and becoming real friends.
    All this to say that when someone claims that their diversity is their strength or whatever, it can be bullshit or totally true. It just depends on what they’ve done with that diversity.

Benjammin, Caleb, Roberteaux and 3 others like this.
  8. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

Sure it is. -If you can live with the consequences.

9. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Zombies.

Benjammin and NewDayHappy like this.