Templates From Corian?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by The Ballzz, Sep 14, 2017.

1. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

Hey Folks,
    I'm always thinkin'! Has anyone ever tried or considered using Corian for making templates? Bassist in my band does commercial countertops with a company that specializes in Corian, so scraps are plentiful and free! I've been making cutting boards out of scraps and have multiple reasons for thinking that it may be fantastic for making templates.
    1) It cuts and works well with standard woodworking blades, bits and other cutters.
    2) It is supremely solid, hard, stable, flat, consistent and true.
    3) It's consistently a few thousandths shy of 1/2" thick.
    4) A standard sink cutout measures 14 13/16" x 20 1/16" A few are larger and some are smaller.
    5) It holds markings well.
    6) Any countertop installer/kitchen remodeler company has stacks of these that they either will sell cheap, give away or throw away. Most scraps can't get re-used for subsequent projects, as the color match from one batch to the next is not precisely consistent.​
    My buddy can bring me 20 to 50 of these per week. Oh, and anyone interested a nice Corian cutting board, measuring anywhere between 14 13/16" x 9 31/32" up to 14 13/16" x 20 1/16"? :naughty: Shipping is a killer though, as they are plenty heavy!:doh: :p

Watcha All Think?
    Gene

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  2. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

I think its a good idea for routing templates as it is very durable compared to mdf. But the weight would be a problem for shipping compared to mdf for sure.

3. redking

redking Senior Member

I don't know about templates, but there are certainly luthery / woodworking related uses such as sanding blocks / sanding tabletops (stick down sandpaper and use it to get larger pieces like body blanks nice and flat if you don't have a drum sander) Also, same idea for a honing block to stick down sand paper and tune up your bench planes and chisels. Anywhere you need a "known flat" surface, there is probably a use.

4. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Great for jigs, clamping cauls, sanding beams, templates, etc. Better than plastic for nuts IMHO. I might be interested in some.

5. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

While I'd be more than happy to give some away for "FREE" shipping would likely kill ya, as one sink cutout 15" x 20" weighs about 9 lbs. Likely more economical to stop by any counter top shop and ask for a sink cutout or two. They'd probably let you have as many as you want, or can carry, for free! They would not likely be color matched though!:p Most of what I currently have is a kinda medium to light speckled gray, from bathrooms, etc, in some newly constructed Micky D's in the area! I do have a couple long, narrow neck template sized pieces in marble white! Bear in mind that the edges, once cut/routed can be quite sharp!
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

6. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

Its a sh*t if you drop it on the floor - a bit like an old plane! If it free, great.

7. Rapdog

Rapdog Senior Member

i would love to have a piece or two that is over 13x20. pm if you want. JR