Tell Your First Experience/Exposure to a Les Paul Guitar

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by scozz, Oct 22, 2017.

1. guitarfish

guitarfish Senior Member

I came late to this party. The Strat was my dream guitar, so it took about 8 years after I started playing to get an (Epi) LP. Eventually I got an LP Standard, which I've had for about 9 years now. It's a good think I have limited disposable income, because I'd probably have a bunch of them. I was able to later add a ES-335 with 57 Classics, which complements it nicely.

My early memories of LPs include Pete Townshend playing "Wont Be Fooled Again" with his arm-swinging, Mick Taylor teraing it up on some Stones records, Frampton, Page & Gibbons. Hall of fame stuff!

2. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I've said it before in this thread...and I'll say it again ...

...GREAT STORIES HERE ...

... from all ages and all years!!! So many different experiences from everyone. A very interesting read. :cheers2:

Nard and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  3. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Member

I may have a few years on most of you guys. I say that because my first memories of the Les Paul go back to 1958. The pawn shop in town had a 54 Black Beauty in the window, asking $275 for it. The owner was a friend of my dad's and he let me sit down with it several times. All I knew were a few chords (I was 11 at the time) but those speed frets made playing them seem so easy.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  4. mattnapier

mattnapier Junior Member

First time hearing a Les Paul on a recording as kid and wondering what guitar makes that sound!? - Peter Green's playing with Fleetwood Mac.

First time actually playing a Les Paul - My friends early 90's Standard. Super thin neck. Action so low every string had fret buzz. I hated it!

5. Metal Guru

Metal Guru Member

I became a huge T. Rex fan in '71 (certain people still give me shit about that) and of course, I saw that picture too. I attended both of their performances in Detroit. Although I've loved rock since straight out of the womb, T. Rex kindled the desire to play and I had to have a Les Paul.
    In the summer of '72 I was camping with my family and met a Detroit kid (white flight out of the city was a thing then so it was unusual to meet such a person) who brought along his '58 Gold Top. I was there with my dad's Airline hollowbody and amp so we jammed together all weekend. I got to try out the Gold Top and life's never been the same.
    Due to finances, my first guitar was a '68 SG Special, which was a fine instrument, but not my ideal. Now I count 3 LP Classics among my meager collection and they get played the most, by far.

Nard likes this.
  6. xeizo

xeizo Senior Member

Had a bandmate with a 70s Gibson Standard Tobacco burst, back in the 70s, his guitar was much superior to my Washburn Hawk in every way imaginable. It was my first encounter with a Gibson Les Paul. But when I wanted a better guitar, in the early 80s a new LP costed about twice the price of a American Strat, so I went the Strat way. Fast forward 35 years and back playing after haven't played active for 30 years I picked up a Epi Standard Ebony as I wanted humbuckers for my DAW. I liked it, and it evoked memories, just recently bought my first Gibson Les Paul and it feels just great :D

Not to mention all the iconic players on Les Paul, they are inspiration sure, but as I see it I'm only seeking what feels good to me and not to be like them. It was the memories of my bandmates Standard and it's perfection(apart from being rather heavy) that haunted me, no more :)

7. Ides of March

Ides of March Senior Member

My first recollection, it was before first grade so maybe I was 5, I dont' know how I remember this but I'm 44 now so this is 78 maybe. I was sick and on the couch and Kiss was on TV performing on what show I cannot tell you. But like many others it was Ace and his Cherryburst. I just remember him having smoke come out of it. When I got my first real LP an 09 HCS Trad Plus it was because of Ace.

8. djuul

djuul Member

My first memory of a les paul would probably Slash playing. My mom had live in tokyo '92 taped on vhs iirc, i must have been 4 or 5. Fast forward 10 years and i started playing got into zeppelin and i had to have a les paul. Now rocking a 96 standard that left the factory a month after i left my moms womb.

Becker34 likes this.
  9. scozz

scozz Senior Member

:wow:
    Lots of youngsters here....members of MLP Forum! Great to see!

In 1996 when you were born @djuul i was 40 years old, had two teenage children, and hadn't played live, ( to paying customers anyway), in almost 20 years!! :shock:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017