Tell Your First Experience/Exposure to a Les Paul Guitar

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by scozz, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Senior Member

1986. Junior high school. Kid I knew that played guitar got one. It was used and beat but just really cool. He hated it because the action was really high compared to his beater pointy headstock whatever which we all had.

I tried to adjust it for him but knew nothing of guitar setups at the time and just made a mess of it. He took it to a local shop and when he got it back it was just perfect. It was The inspiration for me to buy my first one in 97. I was 26 years old and had a new baby. Was about broke and a local shop had a wine red studio I put on layaway for almost a year.

I got hard up for money and sold it a few years later. I wish I hadn’t. It was one of the best guitars and LPs I have ever played.

Thumpalumpacus and ktj like this.
  2. dodona

dodona Junior Member

my first was in 1973. I came from a one piece maple neck blonde typical cbs trash strat, and thought that the gibson has a built-in distortion unit. A much darker, warmer and distorted tone.

3. scozz

scozz Senior Member

These stories are really fun to read! I love reading all the different experiences and the wide age range of our members here! Keep em comin!

Great job guys! :thumb:

Great forum! :thumbs:

4. dSky

dSky Member

This guy more then any other fueled my Les Paul desires:
    [​IMG]

then there was this guy:
    [​IMG]
    I learned most of the songs on FCA note for note..

I got my first LP when i was 16, It was a two year old 74 Standard.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  5. Gibsonguy57

Gibsonguy57 Member

+1 on all of those early influences... Saw my fist LP at Metropolitan music in Milwaukee in 1968. It was hanging on a wall with what seemed like 100 other LP’s, SG’s, ES355’s, etc.... It was a beauty... a black beauty to be exact! My first year of guitar lessons and I knew someday I’d have one! It took another 5 years of saving and I was able to buy my first Gibson LP.... It wasn’t a black beauty but a white LP Recording... I know, completely different but an LP non the less and it served me well throughout my gigging years....Love this thread... it says allot about how special this moment is in a guitar lovers life or anyone who has experienced it for that matter!

6. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

Jimmy Page, that's why. Had to have a LP. Originally I was after a Cherry Sunburst Standard like his. A local music shop received a used black Custom in 1976 - what I have now. Far cheaper than a new Standard, even though they took advantage of a dopey 15 year old and ripped me off price-wise.

Never bothered telling me about the factory second "2" on the headstock until after I had it for a while. The shop owner said he felt bad, yet I don't recall him offering me $ for the bit of dishonesty. Said he'd make it up on future sales. Doubt that ever happened. I have not fully trusted music shops since.

Jimmy is also why I had to have a Martin D-28. It took me a lot longer to fulfill that desire (2015). I went with the HD-28 as I love the herringbone trim. Also admire the fact they have been built 90 minutes away from me since the 1850s (when they moved from NYC to Nazareth, PA).

I found this image a year or so ago and felt a little better knowing Mr. Page had one. :)

Jimmy-Page-Black-Beauty.png

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  7. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

My first two guitars were gifts from my parents (mostly my dad really). Not LPs or LP copies. I had those guitars for 8 years or so probably before selling them. The first guitar I ever bought myself for myself was an Epi LP Special (bolt-on neck). Was going through a divorce and it was all I could afford. But I’d always wanted an LP and that was my first. In fact, the first 9 guitars I ever actually bought myself were LPs (either Gibson or Epi). Come to think of it, it wasn’t until I’d bought/owned many LPs that I ever ventured out and bought myself something other than an LP (though I did receive other non-LP guitars as gifts over the years). LPs have just always been where I leaned/what I wanted most of all... even growing up in the 80s during the pointy guitar era, the pull of the LP was always there for me. It was always just the most “authentic” guitar to me. I always put it on a pedestal. Still do for that matter. :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  8. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

It would have been around Easter in '91. The bassist in our little band had always fancied himself as a guitarist, and he managed to get himself an Epi LP. Man, I hated that guitar. Sounded like sludge, was awful to play, and terrible at staying in tune. It was so bad it made our Marlin Strat knockoffs look good - and they were truly awful guitars.

I spent the next 21 years avoiding LPs like the plague. Didn't try a single one.

After spending a decade looking for a replacement to my #1 guitar (an old 80's Charvel), I came across the Andertons YouTube channel, and their videos on the 2012 LP range. Decided to head over there and try one. Very glad that I did.

These days, the Charvel lives in its case, at the bottom of the pile of stacked cases. The LP from 2012 also lives in its case elsewhere in the pile. I switched to Custom Shop in 2015, and it's hard going back to the USA-line guitars after that. But that 2012 LP has something about it, and it does get an outing every now and then.

9. sdny

sdny Senior Member

My LP Deluxe was my second guitar purchase in the late 80s. Bought it used and still have it, came in the first gen chainsaw case.

10. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Wow @1all's Pub....it seems people you know like to buy you guitars! :dude:

The one and only guitar I got as a gift was my very first electric. It was a Xmas gift and it came with a really cheap amp..lol. It was the Xmas of 1964, I was 8 years old, and the guitar was a brand new $39.95 no name double cut made in Japan guitar.

Now the guys here that are my age will remember that back in those days anything that was "made in japan" was complete garbage. Lol. The guitar was almost unplayable, and when it was being played it sounded terrible! Well from then on I've bought all of my own guitars. You sir are very fortunate in that regard.

BTW....nice story! :applause:

1all's Pub likes this.
  11. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

In high school (mid 90s) I got really into the classic rock of the day, which mainly meant Zeppelin, I was also really into Hendrix, but for some reason I always gravitated to the Les Paul, probably because Page was a such a bad ass in The Song Remains the Same and I just loved the snarl he had. Aerosmith was also in the middle of another big time album (I think Cryin?) so Joe Perry was everywhere with his Les Paul. I don't know, for some reason the Les Paul just became the only electric guitar I ever had any interest in!

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  12. blackie2

blackie2 Senior Member

[​IMG]

These guys!!!

13. gball

gball Senior Member

I was transfixed by the sounds I heard coming out of the stereo, and the images on the album cover of Rush's All The World's a Stage when it first came out (1976).

[​IMG]

It was also coincidentally the year that I got my first guitar. Anyway, I knew that whatever it was that made that sound I was hearing (and looked that cool) I had to have. Then I started noticing LP's elesewhere; Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Gary Rossington, etc...but Alex Lifeson was where the quest began.

I got my first LP in '77

14. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

my first exposure was the thin lizzy boys, slash, and gary moore. at a later point, the feller from pearl jam.

i managed to convince myself that i hated les pauls. mainly because they were like a unicorn.. mythical.
    i ente rtained myself with shredders and guitars that could do metal.. lol. what an idiot.

then i got a job. stopped playing. had a meltdown. got back into music as a release. and suddenly found i actually really loved les pauls.

i got my first Gibson Les Paul this year. i bought it on a business trip to USA. it was waiting for me in the gibson memphis factory. i felt like i finally realised a dream. and i love it to bits

15. BADMAN67

BADMAN67 Junior Member

Slash and Pearly Gates responsible for my Gibson Standard obsession.

16. Javiersson

Javiersson Senior Member

I was 11, and my father gave me permission to play his vinyl records. I went for the Allman Brothers' "Beginnings". I saw it on the cover, I played the record, I was blown away.

Still I am...

17. fretout

fretout Senior Member

I started playing a Les Paul because my mom and dad bought be an Epiphone Les Paul Special as a Christmas present when I was 14 years old. He had the shop throw in a Gibson T-Shirt, and on the back, it had a Gibson Les Paul Custom headstock. I remember thinking "what is that logo? What does it even mean?" That's where it all started.

When I started attempting to play guitar, I was just getting into listening to music. I was hooked on bands like Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, STP, Tool and Nine Inch Nails. I felt so inspired that I found my grandfather's old acoustic guitar he gave me years before, and I was trying to figure out how to play by ear.

Keep in mind this was before the Internet took off, and even though dial up JUST STARTED, bands didn't have webpages, and there were no tabs.

So, I shyfully attempted to figure out how to play songs off the radio on my acoustic for several months...always making sure I was home alone so no one could hear me (I was very shy). So, by the time I felt like I was getting somewhere with my grandpa's acoustic, I received my first guitar...and my first guitar of my own...the Epiphone Les Paul Special.

So, my best friend growing up had told me I needed to check out a band that he thought I'd love called Metallica. He let me borrow a few of his tapes, and although I couldn't name a single song they've written, I started recognizing parts that I had heard on the radio and TV, and I absolutely loved Metallica. While my exposure officially started with The Black Album, I exchanged each album for another album, so it went the black album -> Ride The Lightning - > Master Of Puppets -> ...And Justice For All, and then a few months later Load was released. It was attempting to play along to Metallica's catalog that I finally felt like I was making progress!

After Christmas vacation, when I went back to school, I wore my Gibson T-shirt and all sorts of kids were coming up to me and asking "you play guitar, really?" I talked to few guys that I had gone to elementary school with and they told me "you don't sound like Metallica because they play Explorers and Flying Vs", andsince that moment, I planned to buy an Explorer or Flying V, but I could never find one! It also didn't help that Gibson decided to rename the Explorer an X-plorer and the Flying V became the V-Factor.

After being discouraged and thinking "I'll never get the sound that I want out of my guitar", I continued to save money and tried to find out what guitar was on the back of my Gibson shirt. After looking at some magazines, I saw a picture of Zakk Wylde and there it was...his signature bullseye LPC...with a headstock that was identical to my shirt!

So, I finally saved up a LOT of money and was debating whether I should buy such a expensive Les Paul Custom, or if I should buy a Fender Stratocaster (since AIC said they played "Fenders" in the Tripod Album's liner notes), or if I should buy a Dean/Washburn ML because Dime sounded amazing on Pantera's albums. I finally decided that it would only be right, and would bring my whole guitar playing time "full circle" and buy the guitar that was on the shirt my dad bought me from the start...so I bought my first Gibson, a Les Paul Custom in Ebony.

After the Internet became more widespread, I learned that nearly every guitar player I liked played a Les Paul Custom, and this cemented the fact that I chose the right guitar! Everyone from Jerry Cantrell, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett, Zakk Wylde, Chris Cornell, Adam Jones, Randy Rhodes...all of them played Gibson Les Paul Customs!

So that's my story. Sorry if it's long, but in the end, I started playing Les Pauls because my mom and dad.

18. robbym

robbym Junior Member

My first experience with a Les Paul was after seeing Slash, the sound and the shape of the guitar he was playing had an instant attraction to me. At the time I couldn't play guitar (I'm still not the best, but I get some tones out of it :) ) but I went to our local music store and told the salesguy I want a Gibson Les Paul.
    A Les Paul standard was a bit out of my league so I ordered a winered Les Paul Studio with chrome hardware and black plastics this was al back in the good old days of 1994. The guitar had to be ordered (the music store didn't sell a lot of Gibson Les Pauls) so after a few days I picked it up and took it back home. When I came home my mother asked me what I was carrying on my back. I said it's a guitar, she said but you don't know how to play guitar... And I said but now I have a good reason to do so :D

I still have the guitar, the plastics have changed from black to creme but other than that it still rocks.

19. Robert Parker

Robert Parker Senior Member

Mine would have been through GnR in the early 90s when I first learned to play. I'm not sure I'd even seen one and didn't know what Slash played, but knew I wanted that sound. My first in-person contact was when I have my first public performance at talent night during summer camp. One of the counselors let me use his Gold Top standard for Knockin' on Heaven's Door. I remember it feeling so chunky and heavy after playing a Strat for the last year, but it sounded so much better. I wouldn't go back to Fender style guitars until 20 years later.

20. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

I'm in my early 40s so my first exposure would have been Ace and Jimmy, followed by Slash and Steve Clark.

But I didn't start playing guitar until a few years back, so those guys didn't have the same relevance perhaps, but I still primarily listened to a lot of their stuff all the same.