Tell Your First Experience/Exposure to a Les Paul Guitar

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by scozz, Oct 22, 2017.

1. fry

fry Senior Member

Same here. It was something about the way that guitar stood out among everything else on the stage. Everything was black and silver and pointy, and there is this beautiful Les Paul hanging over his shoulder. My first electric was a junk Les Paul copy from Montgomery ward, I thought it was the greatest thing I had ever seen, because it looked like Ace’s guitar!!

2. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

I so know what you mean by that. My first electric guitar was the cheapest BC Rich Warlock you could find. But I was so happy to have one, just because it looked like
    the guitars that the bands I listened to played back then. BC Rich and Jacksons I remember the most.
    I didn't even have an amp back then.. I had this midi set (remember, this is the late 80's, early 90's). with a phono input.
    It had integrated speakers. I used to crank it, and bury it under blankets to get my first ever distortion sound.
    Needless to say, despite of the blanket covers, my parents weren't too happy :cool2:

Thumpalumpacus and DarrellV like this.
  3. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD!.........It's a Nerlin! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Well, the OP is about first encounters, not NGDay's so I didn't want to clog up your thread with another book!:eek2:

That tale is even more amazing and the ending is really nothing short of a miracle! There is no other way to explain it...:wow:

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  4. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD!.........It's a Nerlin! Silver Supporter Premium Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ah,youth! Love it!! :rofl:

RayTorvalds likes this.
  5. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

OK @DarrellV there's now an entire thread dedicated to your story (please)

DarrellV likes this.
  6. DarrellV

OK.....

I was gonna PM you the deetz :thumb:

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  7. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Oh, I'm TRULY honored. Lots of peeps wanna know too.

8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

lol, when I was fourteen and had less than a year on the instrument, my sister started dating a bassist in a local cover band. Their guitarist, whose name escapes me, played an ebony Standard.

One day sis took me to a rehearsal of theirs, in a powered-storage unit on the outskirts of town. I sat there, listening gleefully to them covering "The Rover", "Back in Black", and so on.

During a break, I mustered the courage to talk to the guitarist about his Paul. Emburrussin'! I had no idea who Les was, that the guitar was named after a person. After having had French classes in elementary school, I had thought the name was a French term, and so I asked him about his "Leh Paul".

Boy, did I feel like an idiot as he schooled me.

It hasn't gotten much better since then ... but now I have Google!

DarrellV and RayTorvalds like this.
  9. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

I got my first guitar (an Epiphone S style) for Christmas in 1988 at age 11. My first influences were Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Joe Perry, and Slash, so it only took four years before I took the LP plunge (a '92 Studio Lite). I had never so much as held one before that, but luckily, it suited me well. I got another (a '78 Custom) from a pawn shop in 1996. Those were my only two until late 2012.

Then I joined MLP and the rest is a blur. :laugh2:

DarrellV and Donal like this.
  10. DarrellV

+1:thumb:

bossaddict likes this.
  11. no jimmy p

no jimmy p Junior Member

First exposure to a Les Paul ... Small town , southern Michigan , 1966-1967 ; I had a friend when I was in Jr. High that had a pool table in his parents' basement . 3 or 4 us of would go after school to play pool . His dad would be sitting in the den , watching the TV . On a stand , next to the television , sat a 1957 , 3 pick-up , Les Paul Custom . On the other side of the television was a black-panel Fender Super Reverb . Dad would say on nearly every visit :" That is a 1957 Les Paul Custom , the finest electric guitar ever made . Do . Not . Touch . It "
    It was all shiny, gleaming gold hardware , sitting there like it was a royal artifact . Truly a regal object . I knew I wanted one then , but school , sports , girrrls , and weed controlled my priority list . 40 years later , I got my 1st L/P , a '96 Special with a bound fretboard and 2 unruly p-90 p/ups . Not exactly a Black Beauty , but my very own Gibson Les Paul .

12. scottsgh

scottsgh Junior Member

Had a 68 sg that went out the 2nd floor window. Girlfriend saw me making out with a smokin hot chick. She also tossed my sound city 100watt head.that was to heavy , and landed in the bushes, so it was ok. I took my pitiful sg broken in half to a music store, and the guy gave me $100 off on a 1969 goldtop. Some genius put a humbucker in the bridge. Loved that guitar. Sold it for $450 when i was broke in 1985. Wish i still had it. Lesson , don't let your old lady catch you.....

13. Dirty Mind

Dirty Mind Junior Member

I was sold when i saw Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham from Thin Lizzy back in 1974-75.
    classic_deluxe.jpg

geddy, Donal and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  14. Tweeedman

Tweeedman Junior Member

The first time I remember was Peter Green playing with John Mayall´s Bluesbreakers in Göteborg, Sweden in February 1967 and then later the same year when Mick Taylor had replaced PG. I was playing bass at garage level at that time and was not into guitars at all. I just remember the singing, overdriven notes from both PG and MT. It took me another 10 years before I bought a used early 70´s tobacco burst as a part of my little collection.

But before the guitar, I remember hearing Les Paul and Mary Ford on the swedish radio with Hiw High the Moon in the late 50´s. But then I had no idea that LP also was a guitar.

Howard2k and DarrellV like this.
  15. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Member

They are everywhere, how am I supposed to remember the first one. I was an Explorer Guy after all.
    I remember 2 occasions though, both window shopping^^.
    A 2006-ish Gibson Honeyburst standard (back then it was like honeyteaburst) I thought to my self that that thing was beautiful. The other was an Epi Gothic Series Les Paul that I thought it looked really cool, Esp the XII inlay.

It's about 11months now that I switched to Les Pauls, because of their Ergonomics :cheers: (compared to explorers)
    It turned out great :)

16. Burty459

Burty459 Member

My first electric guitar was an all black Brunswick strat copy, I remember getting it home and rocking out through my park amp, well, I rocked but the guitar just made some noises that resembled nothing I’d heard before, I was so proud!! My older brother came home and just bluntly said....”nice.....you should have got a cherry sunburst Les Paul standard”

25 years later I now have a gorgeous R9 in washed cherry....thanks bro......that Brunswick will always have a special place in my heart.

17. Jceremic

Jceremic Junior Member

My first hands on exposure was about 1971 at a pawn shop Pittsburgh, PA. LPs were rare anywhere at the time in Pittsburgh. The pawn had an early 50's Les Paul that had no pickups or hardware, and the top paint was sanded off. He wanted $400. Too much for 15 year old. I could and did by a brand spanking new telecaster with hard case for $183.00. I sold it a year later and bought a '69 SG Srandard for $225.00. In 1974 I walked into a music store in Noblesville, Indiana with some money burning a hole in my pocket. I thought I died and gone to Les Paul Heaven. They had about 20 on the wall, including a White 20th Anniversary Custom ($750.00). But the neck felt too fat and flat. I couldn't believe they had large humbucker Standards (special ordered, did not go into production til '76). I fell in love with the one in my avatar ($626.00). I still have it and have worn some serious grooves in between the frets over all the's years. I also have a 2005 R9 which is so much better than the 74,. But the 74 always feels like an old friend when I pick it up and still enjoy playing it.

18. colder

colder Junior Member

I wanted something besides a strat or a tele, so I went to GC to try them out.

I picked up a new SG standard - ok, I like that fine. I picked up an LP - I don't know what it was, but it was like $4000. I liked the SG better!

I ended up buying an SG but I didn't own it very long. Eventually I bought an LP standard that was part of a blowout sale. It's my favorite guitar now. No sound I can't get out of it.

19. SpeedKnob

SpeedKnob Member

My first "Les Paul" was a D'Agostino from around 1981 or so. I should have kept it.

20. ktj

ktj Senior Member

Mine would have to be seeing the "Sweet Child O'Mine" video for the first time when Slash walks up, plugs in the guitar (you hear the buzz and click) and then goes. I got a Hondo Les Paul copy which I still have.
    My first Les Paul, I got as my wedding gift from my wife, which was a Les Paul Traditional Faded that was a short run for Long & McQuade up here. I saw the price and then googled, which is how I happened on this site. I thought it was too good to be true. Low and behold, there's a sticky thread here, the 2011 LP Traditional (Standard?) Faded Mega Thread, that gave me a ton of info and told me it was legit and a helluva deal. I tried a Standard (which was my true goal) and loved the asymmetrical neck, but really couldn't justify the price difference.
    My second Les Paul - I recently lucked out and picked up a 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded that was on clearance but also, I found out was mispriced after I bought it and since the volume knob didn't work when I tried it at home they discounted it further (to ~$340 CAD). Probably my best guitar deal so far.
    A recent Les Paul experience that got me excited again, was hearing and seeing Kirk Hammett play the Greenie Les Paul in Toronto. I'd seen them a few times and the Fade to Black solo was out of this world. He played it a fair bit too.

One thing I notice about this thread, is you can see eras of when folks grew up. I'm hoping to see some of the young'uns who may have stories from the mid-late 90s or 2000s who found a 'modern' Les Paul player that got them keen on it rather than the usual suspects.