Tell Your First Experience/Exposure to a Les Paul Guitar

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by scozz, Oct 22, 2017.

1. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

I have a really good memory but I cant recall this for some reason. my best guess would be ace frehley. when I was a kid I really wanted an ibanez iceman because of paul stanley. I dont think I wanted a les paul because of jimmy page because in my mind his telecaster was cooler.

regardless, I knew I wanted a black lp custom long before I even played guitar.

2. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

Yeah, I can't remember being obsessed over my guitar heroes' guitars. I think I recall Frampton's Black Custom with 3 pickups and Page's Black Custom, maybe Ace's Sunburst. My first electric was some black Les Paul copy that weighed a metric ton and I tortured with my horrible playing.

At some point, I do remember loving Santana and Duane Allman and picking up a vintage SG ( a 1970, which I still have). Probably some Angus influence there too.

After maybe six or seven years of playing I ended up in Gil Southworth's vintage guitar shop up in DC. I was purchasing a 1968 ES-340. My birth year guitar. I was paying $850 and looked up on the wall to see a guitar with a 24k price tag. I asked what made that guitar worth so much more than mine.. Gil said, 'try it out'. He was crazy, but eventually convinced me to try it.

It was a late '57 Gold Top to Burst conversion. It had a small patch behind the bridge. It was substantial, but not particularly heavy. It hd a really nice, full neck with nice low frets. And it had some magical PAFs. It played like butter and sounded like absolute heaven! I was haunted by that tone for years and years. Not being able to afford that guitar, or any other LP for a number of years... It took me about 20 years to find an LP that I could afford and that compared, a used '08 Traditional. I've gone through a few since then, maybe five or six.

Currently, I own three. A '13 Custom Lite with Zhangbuckers, '15 Double Cut Special with P-90S pickups and my most recent.y purchased '15 Less Plus P-90. The two single cuts are fantastic guitars. The Custom lite is one of the best guitars I've ever owned and the Zhnagbuckers were the last detail needed to kick it over the top. Thew other two I;'m still getting to know, but they have been incredibly fun so far. I gig them all pretty regularly now, so they are getting tested under fire for sure!

3. mudface

mudface Senior Member

IMG_0050.JPG My early playing was done on a Martin my dad owned. My first electric was a Tiesco Del Rey Japanese copy of nothing. Christmas of '79 my parents got me a Gibson The Paul Deluxe Firebrand, truly the world changed for me. A Peavey Bandit and a Electric Mistress flanger I was now in my mind a true Rockstar :laugh2:. I saved up my after school odd job money and bought a used '78 LP Custom, it was 2 years old but it looked brand new, and here it is today.

4. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Member

I remember my first exposure to a Les Paul being on GarageBand probably eight years ago or so when I was about five or six. I first noticed it on a pre-made song and you could change the guitar, bass drums, etc and the Les Paul was one of the guitars you could choose. I always thought it looked like a cool guitar to have but I never really cared about playing guitar back then so I pretty much forgot about it. I consider that my first general exposure to a Les Paul but I think my first actual one in person was probably my first trip to Guitar Center around 2014 and I wanted to see all the Les Pauls there since Randy Rhoads and Slash were my favorite guitarists at the time. I remember the first Les Paul I actually played was an Epiphone Les Paul Standard in Heritage Cherry. Unfortunately, I can't remember the first time I played a Gibson Les Paul but the first Gibson I played was an SG.

Tobin1634, DarrellV and mudface like this.
  5. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Senior Member

I never chose an instrument or amp because of so & so plays it.

I never found the fascination with them like everyone else did.
    To me (at the time), they looked outdated...everyone has one (or at lease some copy of it).

So I grew up the Jackson route.
    Besides, I could buy 4 Jacksons for the price of one Les Paul (kid logic).
    I did try a Gibson...back in the early 90's.
    Didn't know squat about them...neither did most sales people around here at the time.
    Neck was as big as a telephone pole, heavy, too many knobs...Hated it.

Twenty plus years later...and all my Jacksons being pretty well worn out...and because Jackson sold out and is primarily made in Indonesia/China, I decided it was high time to start buying into 'quality' over quantity. And now I find them classy and elegant.

2014, got a Studio Pro and the Halcyon model.
    2015, picked up an Epiphone Custom classic (price was too good to pass up).
    2017, SG Standard T

I can say I still play my Jacksons way easier and faster than I can any of the Paul bodies...especially in the lead department. And the the Floyds hold tune much better than stop-tail guitars. But if its Gibson, Its SG for me.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  6. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Still looks in terrific!!!

mudface likes this.
  7. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Thank you:cheers:

It has bumps and bruises but purdy much intact.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I heard 'em enough as a boy, no doubt, but didn't know what I was hearing until I got into KISS and learnt that Ace, my favorite player at the time, slung a Paul. I always liked the simple looks, and loved the sounds I was hearing.

Took me a couple of years to convince Mom to buy me a guitar. She got me a $29 dollar plywood acoustic. Hmph. We made a deal -- if I kept it up for a year, she'd get me a Standard. A year came and went, I was plugging away like nobody's business, and she changed her mind ... probably had something to do with the $900 price tag.

So I went another six years playing Strat copies and an acoustic 12-string I was gifted one Christmas.

October 1987. I walk into my favorite music store in Oxnard at the time (Michael's Music, run buy a great guy named Michael Nation, shout out to you, brotha), looking for strings and picks. A clowny/tomato-soup burst 73 DeLuxe hanging on the wall. Mind you, I'd never touched a Paul before. Had played SGs, thought they were cool, but wasn't (at that time) my favorite Gibby (they are now, no doubt). So's Michael lets me sit down with this 73 and I play for a good half-hour or so. I'm sold. I ask him what he'd give me for my MiK Strat copy. 75 bucks. That leaves $300 to pay out before tax ... do a little math, and then run home, grab my Series-10, and put it on layaway -- I have to pay it out in one month.

I'm making $600/month working overnights at a 7-Eleven, sharing a condo in SoCal. That $320 pinched, that's when I learnt to enjoy ramen, because I had about $15 a week left over discretionary, and I was a smoker to boot.

But I got my Lester home in a month, and it was my #1 for the next 15 years. All original except the tuners (Grovers), crappy jack-plate replacement/repair, and as useful a tool as I've ever owned, because it could sound right doing damned near anything.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  9. syrinx

syrinx Senior Member

I remember seeing them in the hands of players, but never knew anything about them until kiss had them on albums witht he phrase "kiss uses gibson and pearl drums_ the best deserve the best" or some such. Then when the mall opened in 76 or 77 there at byerly music was a les paul standard, a deluxe, and a black beauty custom. I think the BB was 999- and we were let hold it and strum a few chords-thing felt as heavy as an accordian!- and sustained as long! Soon after my friend got a copy- but i didnt get a les until much later- a 72 deluxe modded for HB back in 86. So it took me ten years to incubate from exposure.

10. WineRedFreak

WineRedFreak Member

'
    When I was a kid in the late 70s or early 80s a friend of mine got one of those short lived Gibson "Firebrand" Les Paul's:

IMG_4026.JPG

At the time I thought it was some sort of cool special edition, but now I know it was a low end model that Gibson created to get some quick sales.

I suppose now it'd be kind of cool again, so if I ever saw one for a reasonable price I'd probably get it...

'

11. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Yup, my first Gibson.

WineRedFreak likes this.
  12. coupe89

coupe89 Senior Member

When I first saw one of these
    [​IMG]
    plus I think Ace, Joe Perry and Slash

Christosterone likes this.
  13. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I had a Guild D35, same era, which I stupidly sold for a "better name" brand. The buyer still has it, and for both him and me, it remains one of the best-sounding, best-playing guitars we ever encountered. Not all Guilds are that wonderful, but some are, and they are freaking great.

MooCheng likes this.
  14. bungle

bungle Senior Member

15. Christosterone

Christosterone Premium Member

I’m from the [American] south so every band in the 70s had les pauls...

Plus Jimmy...duh....and don’t get me started on :slash:

-Chris

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  16. Becker34

Becker34 Member

Back in high school, I was a Page freak. Started taking guitar lessons around '86 or 7 on a Fender Catalina acoustic. Thought it was cool because it had a Strat-style headstock. After a while, and playing friend's guitars, I decided I needed an electric. My dad, who was financing my lessons (and ponied up for the Fender) made me a deal where if I met certain goals laid out between us and my guitar teacher, he'd get me a used electric. I started practicing my ass off and started looking, in earnest, at electrics.

The shop where I took lessons carried a lot of different brands back then. They had Fender, Peavey, Ibanez and Gibson. Now it's mainly Fender. Anyways... one night I walked in and there she was. Hanging with the new LP's. I eventually played it and I HAD TO HAVE IT. A while later after I met my goals, I was presented with this:
    [​IMG]
    '85 LPC. Was about a year old. Only real wear was some buckle wear on the back. Still got it. First electric I owned, probably the first LP I played.

17. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Member

Standing six rows back from Billy Gibbons playing while the band performed, "cheap sunglasses" and other iconic songs. I loved that guitar sound. Stuck in my head. I was heavily into Led Zeppelin (hell, still am) too, though I never saw them in concert. Then there was this B lister playing at a blues festival on a GT that sounded so powerful and full of soul. I could go on.

18. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I know what you mean @moreles about 70s Guilds. When I bought mine I played two Gibsons and a Martin. The Guild felt, played, and sounded better than all of them! I would say that most of the Guilds that came out of the Westerly R.I. factory were exceptional instruments!

MooCheng and DarrellV like this.
  19. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I first picked up a guitar in I think 1967. Had a Kent, then a Kalamazoo. In 1971 I put a slightly used Gibson 330 on layaway and paid 25 a week for a couple of months to finally own it. I was set for a few decades. My best friend's big brother had an SG. I loved that thing. That was the only other electric I'd ever lusted after. Fast forward 47 years. I'd just turned 60 and hadn't really played for 34 years. I picked up a used Epi G400 on the cheap. I was researching it on the internet and stumbled across an Epi forum at a place called MLP. That led me to do a little reading on LP's. I wanted to try one, so I bought a new Epi Tribute + off Amazon. I loved it, but traded it for a Strat. Then I traded for a really nice '01 Standard. Loved it too, but traded it away as well. 20 plus MLP swaps later learning about all guitars, I've tried several more LP's. Loved em all, but never held onto one. I came full circle. I'm a semi-hollow guy. My go-to's are my semi's. Just picked up another SG and I'm totally in love with my new LP double cut. I think both of those will stay with me as compliments to my semi's. Sure, I always knew what a LP was, but my first real exposure was at age 60 at a place I accidentally stumbled onto called MLP.

20. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

My old 70's Cherry Guild remains "the one that got away".