Tell me about your 2017 Classics

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Les Paul Newb, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

Killer deals on these right now. Thinking of getting one.

How do you like yours? Did you bond with the rolled binding? Any info for a prospective buyer?

Christosterone likes this.
  2. xscottx9

xscottx9 Junior Member

Pros: Mine is amazing .. sounds good, very nice plain top, projects sound, fast attack, super low to high action if desired.
    Cons: At the 12th fret, shoulder is less than the rest of the neck, which makes for an extremely awkward adjustment while playing. Im not sure I will get used to it, .. just feels "off" . super sad.

3. Les Paul Newb

Sorry to hear that. That sucks.

When you say "shoulder" are you referring to the area where the rolled binding is? (Basically by the nibs) I've heard the rolled binding can vary greatly by guitar.

4. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I had one for a few weeks... never quite bonded with it. Wasn’t anything “wrong” with it per se, just didn’t speak to me in the long run. Mine’s neck was slim (as expected), but luckily did not have the same issue xscottx9’s had. So I guess, inspect any guitar closely before buying.

I will say this about the rolled binding though... I didn’t care for it. Not that it really *felt* any different when playing (I couldn’t actually notice any appreciable difference in feel when playing, to be honest)... but visually/aesthetically Gibson USA seems to not do a good job of rolling the binding symmetrically. By this I mean, that mine (and unfortunately many 2017s I held in hand over the past year+) had one side that had been rolled “a lot” and the other side that hadn’t—resulting in a very lopsided and unbalanced look to the binding. It just looked poorly executed. I’m sure there are many 2017s with rolled binding that were done correctly also, but Gibson USA was at the very least highly inconsistent in the application of their rolling technique. It wouldn’t cause me to rule-out a 2017 model, but I would inspect the binding very, very closely as there have been several 2017s that I would have considered buying except the binding rolling was done like crap (ie, very asymmetrically). The only 2017 I do currently have is a Trad Pro IV, and it does not have rolled binding. It’s a purely aesthetic issue with me, but still... these are pricey guitars and blatant aesthetic miscues do matter when making a purchase decision.

That said, if one with poorly executed rolled binding was just a true killer guitar... one that just spoke to me the instant I picked it up... I wouldn’t let the poorly rolled binding prevent me from buying it. But it would always be a source minor irritation probably.

Christosterone and Les Paul Newb like this.
  5. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

I have three. They are excellent guitars.
    No two necks are the same on any Les Paul.

Christosterone, JohnnyN and steveb63 like this.
  6. Les Paul Newb

You have 3, 17' Classics?

You must really like them huh? Is there something that drew you to this year/model over other options?

7. dcurran87

dcurran87 Member

A 17 Classic GT has been my main want for some time...however I'm saving for a wedding in June. After that I'm allowed to treat myself and just cannot wait!! (For the wedding that is ;) )

In the meantime I've bought a Faux Rosewood Harley Benton Tele copy. I've leveled the frets and stuck in some Tonerider hot classics and I honestly can't put it down!

8. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

I prefer the Classics for the neck and price.
    I have a Gold Top, Cherry plain and Plus top.
    The '17's went back to a more traditional build with ABR-1 bridge and standard weight relief, rosewood fret board, "Classic" not written on headstock.
    I like the locking Grover tuners. '57 Classic pickups are pretty good.
    Mine play and sound great. I sold Gibson guitars for 7 years and handled a lot.
    You don't have to pay $5000 for a good Les Paul.
    Quick pic of one. Looks way better in person.
    [​IMG]

9. Spiderman0863

Spiderman0863 Junior Member

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I recently purchased a classic gold top 2017 and I must say I am not totally impressed with the quality control. There is a deep scratch on the body near the pickup trim. Two of the washers on the grover tuners were loose and shaking around. The binding I would give an 8 out of 10 . There were scratches on the headstock. And the over all gold top finish I would give an 8 out of 10 . I must say i got it for a great price at a big box store here in Canada. It was the last one on clearance brand new in unopened box but it certainly has it's issues. Thanks for listening to my rant . I have been a long time reader of this forum but have never owned a Les Paul until recently. Great forum an a great group of guys an gals.

JCarno and dcurran87 like this.
  10. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

In my opinion... the new Classics, are the old pre-Modern Standard. Have a '17 and a '18 both. Though, I prefer the '18, for the P-90s. Its just a freaking mean ass guitar. All kinds of attitude.

I do not have any issues with the binding.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both have cosmetic upgrades. I added a 5-ply and amber switch tip to the PB.

11. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

^^ That PB w/ black plastics is just...wow! :D

GibsonKramer likes this.
  12. ivandolz

ivandolz Member

I have a Classic 2017 and I love it, specially the neck, the finish, the pick ups... Its a perfect Les Paul if you dont need extra sounds or a more modern approach. Iis classic, as it name says.

SlyStrat and Christosterone like this.
  13. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

I have a 2017 Classic T. I have no problem with neck, although it appears be slightly thinner at the 12th fret. It's not something I notice when playing, so it doesn't bother me.
    The rolled binding is symmetrical and feels okay. I have made a few changes to it, but it was fine guitar right out of the box.
    I think I got a great guitar for a reasonable price (1444 €). :)

14. ACEit

ACEit Senior Member

I think that in gibson some employee is extremely cross eyed... my trad 17 has almost all the finishes decentered... luckily the rolled binding is not one of them.. but saddle's slots are way out, cavity convers too...
    :wow:

1all's Pub likes this.
  15. ACEit

ACEit Senior Member

Il like p90 and gold top... but I wish them bundled with rounded neck and rosewood... it seems that's imposible for gibson to make a guitar ( non custom ) that answer my wishes... classic has slim taper and classic player plus has richilite, that I can even accept, but no gold tops...

16. BeanoFAN

BeanoFAN Senior Member

So I know this thread is about a month old now, but maybe I can help if you're still on the fence. Just got my '17 classic on Saturday. Its pretty darn near perfect in every way. Just needs a switch washer and pickup covers, and those are on the way. This is my second '17 Gibson, and I can say now that the 2017s are quite good.

[​IMG]

17. TheWelder

TheWelder Senior Member

The cherry sunburst finish on these Classics look great - and that's coming from someone who typically doesn't place HCB high up on the list of Les Paul finishes.

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is 'rolled binding?' How is that different from standard binding? Thanks.

18. BeanoFAN

BeanoFAN Senior Member

Basically the edges of the binding is slightly rolled into the direction of the fretboard. its like taking a square edge and soothing it over so theres no hard edges. Its actually quite comfortable. Have it on my '17 SG Standard and '17 Classic.

19. Les Paul Newb

Oh man that's nice.

BeanoFAN likes this.
  20. BeanoFAN

BeanoFAN Senior Member

Thank you :D