Tell me about Fralin pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Mr Insane, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

I have been wanting to change out the pickups in my LP Standard for some time now. Tried ordering Phil X Arcane pickups, apparently Phil doesn't care about his customers anymore and didn't even bother. Tried contacting Arcane to commission my own pickup, but no reply from him either.

No I am basically looking for someone who wants my business.

Right now I am deciding from the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop or Fralin Pickups.

I don't know much about Fralin, is it a good company? How is their quality? If I order from them, will they actually make my pickups?

2. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I believe Fralin is a very reputable winder.

I’ve never had a Fralin pickup personally though, but I can recommend very highly Bare Knuckle Pickups. I have a set of The Mules in one of my Trads and the are fantastic. Built to my personal spec (I ordered them online and spec’d them out just as I wanted them). Even coming from England they arrived w/in 2 weeks of my order. Very impressed. And amazing PAF type tone.

3. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Fralins are decent pickups. I prefer the older ones, when Lindy was winding full time.

If your not dead set on Fralins, I went overboard recently and would be willing to give you a great deal on a great set of pups. If interested, shoot me a pm.

4. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

I love Lindy's stuff. Him and Jason (Lollar) are great. I use a mix of both in my Fender guitars. I have not tried their humbuckers, but their single coils (Strat and Tele) are legit. I want to try Jason's Low Wind Imperial and Lindy's Pure PAF. I hear great things about both. The two best for singles, IMO.

I can't comment on the humbuckers, but Lindy makes great stuff and a great company.

5. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

I've used five of Lindy's pickups. He's a small shop, a very personable gent to talk to on the phone. I think there are five people working there, at last count. They will bend over backwards to give you the tone you want, and Lindy knows his stuff. He has been in it a very long time.

I've used his
    Tele bridge, decent overwind, but it came out meaty, not dark, just perfect.
    Tele full set, both overwound, basically the same as the first one in the bridge, with a neck to match.
    A very very full toned Strat bridge pickup, replacing the ludicrously nasty toned Fender Texas Special bridge pickup
    And a balanced set of mini hum in the neck, and Tele bridge - again, the bridge was overwound, and the mini hum a bit underwound.

CAUTION: Lindy likes his pickups a bit on the bright side, so it you're looking to get "not as bright" you'll need to explain that to him. I was happy with the Tele pickups, and the Strat pickup was just perfect too. The mini hum .. I didn't have experience with, but its rather bright, but not overly so, makes a very good clean pickup, which is what I wanted.

6. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

I went with the Seymour Duncan custom shop.

Zoobiedood likes this.