Tell me about Denver

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by E1WOOD5150, Sep 22, 2017.

1. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

Damn we play on Thursday, will just miss ya. I'll check the schedule of my favorite local bands though, there's always some serious talent on display.

2. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

It's also better quality than most airports I've been at. But then again I don't usually eat at airports.

3. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Member

I haven't been there since 1978 and I was on a motorcycle trying my best to keep from getting run over. so, I'm no help. :facepalm:

4. E1WOOD5150

E1WOOD5150 Purveyor of Joke Grenades

Uhhhh, no.

My wife is a Chiefs fan, and has pretty much turned me into a Chiefs fan. Whenever teams in the AFC West plays each other(other than the Chiefs), she roots for the stadium to sink into the ground. She said she will be conflicted next Sunday; she cant root for the sinking stadium.

Rats! I'm gonna be with 3 other people who probably will want to go to someplace swanky. I'd just as soon go to see a band try to be the best band in the world for that night.

5. meatball

meatball Senior Member

I was in Denver about 8 years ago . I went down 16th Ave . Its pretty cool ...all bars , Microbreweries and resturants .. there are some music clubs on that street too . Its a closed street so they have pianos in the middle of it to play if you want to . There is free shuttle service every 10 -15 minutes at each block. Pretty cool from what I remember . A lot of great food . One thing I did notice ,, its got a lot of homeless kids there .. Dont know if tht has changed or not .
    The Denver Airport is the Biggest in the United States area wide .. I forget how many miles it is in circumference . But I can tell you .. ITs big . You will see the "tent" from miles off . You will know what I mean when you see it . With all the changes to Atlanta Hartsfield , I dont know if that is still true . I remember flying into Denver it was all barren outside my Window and then wahla ... A big city to land in. Miles of open fields from what I saw before we landed . When the plane was leaving to come home , I looked out the window and I saw absolutely nothing to my left ,, pretty much barren in site ,, that is unusual to see . Denver is a nice town ,, but its not home here in the South !

HeartString and sapounov like this.
  6. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

16th Street is the tourist trap. Don't go there lol..

Unless you really like chain restaurants and homeless people

HeartString and meatball like this.
  7. E1WOOD5150

Thank you SO much for the recommendation! Went there about 2 hours ago. Lance was a helluva fine host, and he let me play anything I wanted. I started with a badass sunburst Custom Shop Strat, then he handed me a Collectors Choice Dangerburst...Holy Hell, what a killer guitar. Then, because he had a hole in the rack of Lesters, Terry produced a 57 Custom Shop Classic that was aged black over Pelham Blue. The Pelham Blue peeking thru the black...Holy Mother of God, that guitar was hawt.
    I intended to buy a hat, t-shirt or something, but before I'd even touched a guitar, he handed me a shirt. I was floored.
    I am now a huge fan of Wildwood.
    We've been sampling some of the breweries in Louisville, and, while I'm not a huge beer guy, the Cerveza at Gravity is pretty damned good, and the root beer is killer.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Tone deaf, HeartString and CRobbins like this.
  8. dennis g

dennis g Senior Member

I've been to a lot of places over the years, some more than others (NYC, Atlanta, SanFran, LA, Norlins, Boston, Seattle, Chicago, Dallas, etc.) most of which have a "personality" if you will. Denver...meh. No offense intended to anyone living anywhere near Denver, it just didn't do it for me, and I was there several times.

9. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I even never been, but I always picture it as pretty white.
    I’m a Chargers fan though, for disclosure purposes.
    That stadium could sink into the ground, the Chiefs could crash their plane, and we still wouldn’t make the playoffs.

NewDayHappy likes this.
  10. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Take a day to get out of the city and enjoy the awesome parts of the state. See some of the big parks and such, if you can.

...and don't forget to worship Blucifer on your way back to the airport. For some reason, there's an angry blue demonic hell-horse with glowing red eyes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The murals on the walls inside the airport are rather disturbing, as well.

11. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

That guy died so they are keeping it there. The most out of place statue I'v ever seen. Most residents hate it too.

12. WaywerdSon

WaywerdSon Senior Member

Silly ass Donkey fans

E1WOOD5150 likes this.
  13. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Senior Member

The guy died in an accident while building that creepy thing, so that makes it all the creepier
    The airport is all Illuminati all the time, hence the bizarre murals
    http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/3...er-international-airport-conspiracy-theories/
    Wildwood is super cool though and for such a cool place they are really nice in there. I work about a mile from it so I can go anytime

14. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

You (any of you who are at least mostly sane) can always take a trip about an hour South of Denver to Colorado Springs and visit your pal cooljuk. I don't have a very impressive place at the moment (moving shop and home both in the beginning of 2018) but I'm generally down to have a coffee or a bite to eat or occasionally an adult beverage and talk shop.

I don't make it up do Denver often (I generally prefer to drive West into the mountains instead of North into the traffic) but, occasionally, I'll find myself in Denver, Loveland, Ft. Collins or Boulder, all of which have some interesting or beautiful places to see. Red Rocks is always a treat when there's an artist you want to see playing there.

HeartString likes this.
  15. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Senior Member

Keep in touch Dude
    I'm in Longtucky

cooljuk likes this.
  16. E1WOOD5150

I wish I could slide on down and hang out, but I have 3 others tagging along, who I have to consider. If I ever make back out this way again, I'll look you up.

cooljuk likes this.
  17. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

SteveC,

I am in the house, but I live in Durango, not Denver. Doesn't look like it is that far away on the map, but if you are trying to drive it, the mountains and two lane highways really get in the way. It is a seven hour drive one way!:eek: We can fly to Denver in 45 minutes in the air, but a cab from the airport to anywhere in Denver is about $60. As a result, I have been to Denver only a few times, and don't know al that much about it. There is the "LoDo" area (lower downtown) with restaurants, bars, bands, and such. It's pretty neat, depending on what you are looking for. A word of warning. If you get a chance to go to a concert at Fidler's Green (large outdoor venue), pass it up! They won't even let you bring water or soft drinks in, give you a near body search at entry, and gouge you bad on concession prices ($10 beer?).

18. E1WOOD5150

We passed this on the way into the airport yesterday. At 8 am, after 4 days of LOTS of alcohol, killer food, and a couple edibles, THAT friggin' thing is scary!

cooljuk likes this.
  19. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

I don't know a single person who hates our overlord Blucifer.

Seriously, love it

20. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

I worked there and took the bus to and from Broomfield and I got tired of hearing it. It doesn't bother me either way.

rxbandit likes this.