Tele pickups for classic hard rock

Discussion in 'Fender' started by TonyAsh, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

Cool. I was going to suggest a Broadcaster type.

2. rikko

rikko Senior Member

My bandmates were blown away at the way my American Special
    (CS Texas Special pups)
    Sounds through my Marshall half stack.

I can go all over the genre spectrum-

Metal, classic, blues, country...

No plans on changing out these pups!

Walt_T likes this.
  3. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

Yeah, maybe the best modern Tele set Fender ever made. Mine are in a '98 American Standard with a 4 way switch, and it's a monster. My other favorite is Dimarzio Twang Kings with the 4 way, a little more edge but still get it done nicely.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    rikko likes this.
  4. sollophonic

sollophonic Senior Member

The Broadcaster that they put in the Baja is a great thick sounding Tele bridge pickup, IMO.

The other set I really like is the Seymour Duncan Hot Tele set. Highish output, but with a lot of clarity.

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Senior Member

I recently bought a used 50s Classic Tele, the second one I now own as I prefer the 'vintage' neck and frets on these. The plan is to change the neck pick up for a humbucker, but of course I have given it a good play before starting any mods with the single coils still in place. However, I've been surprised at the difference in tone between the two guitars, the 'newer' one having standard 50s Classic pickups and my older one I already upgraded to some Fender Original Vintage pick ups.

The OVs one has a smoother bridge tone and a clearer neck pick up tone than the 'new' one with the standard pickups when playing clean through my Fender Blues Junior Tweed. However into my Marshall Mini Jubilee set up I prefer the 50s Classic standard pickups, particularly the neck pickup when played dirty. They seems to take overdrive better and the OVs by comparison sound thinner in this case.

I had expected just to pull out the standard pick ups, but this shows that it seems very amp and overdrive (or not) dependant. I suppose that if you can get the tone you want by rolling back the guitar tone control and a TS, then stick with that.

Gives me a dilemma now as I don't know which pick ups to put in which guitar now as I still want to end up with one of them having a neck humbucker...

6. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Try installing a 4-way switch, might get you close in sound

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  7. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

I had a Bare Knuckle Piledriver set in one old Tele - they sounded great.

In another - which had a P90 in the neck - a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder worked as a good match.

8. GySgtFTL

GySgtFTL Senior Member

I just installed a pair of the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders in my Telecaster. To my ears, they are perfect for classic rock. I have no issues with either the bridge or neck pickups. A huge improvement over the stock pups. Of course I also installed new pots, switch and jack. The new tone could be a combination of all the upgrades/changes but either way I like it.

9. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

Those Quarter Pounds have the power of a P-90 and still there is some twang there. No wonder they sound great for classic rock. For other options, the Little 59 for Tele sounds closer to a humbucker than a single coil, but is great for classic hard rock.