Tele neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Weldaar, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

I am working on this Tele that has serious relief in the neck, like 1/4". How long do I have to wait to get it straight? I want to start from scratch. Been laying around for quite a while. I do not want to force the rod. It's getting pretty hard to turn. Very close now, but i need more. The strings are off, BTW. Any suggestions? What happens when it does not turn any more? Is the neck NG?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers Member

Don't use the trussrod to force the neck in a shape, it's not strong enough for that, and it will snap right off.

What I did with a front bowed Telecaster neck (one piece maple, vintage trussrod) was to support it at the nut and the last fret on two corks (from winebottles), and applied pressure on the back of the neck around the 7th fret. I used a clamping caul to force the neck in a considerable backbow (2cm depression in the middle)), and the trussrod was relieved all the way. Then I applied heat to it using an industrial light, and let it heat for a day. After which I lubricated the trussrod nut (both inside & out) with some petroleum jelly, and tightened the trussrod until "just over fingertight". Then I slowly released the clamp, and the neck was dead straight, and hasn't moved ever since.

Maybe worth trying. A Telecaster neck can cope with some abuse.

w666, dickjonesify and Weldaar like this.
  3. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

double ditto!

5. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

What's the rule for a neck with a separate fret board with this problem? I'm assuming heat may delaminate the board. If it does do you then apply heat to the neck and get it flat then re-attach?

So I guess the idea is the neck should be straight or slight forward bow when the truss rod is released, correct? TBH, I would have tried adjusting the truss rod. :oops:

Cheers Peter.

6. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

If a neck like this gets hot and bows, the fretboard glue can get soft, re-harden and hold the neck where you don't want it.
    This is the case with hide glue, anyway.
    When an old neck is clamped to straighten, it gets heated to loosen the glue.
    This way, when it cures again, the fretboard actually helps hold the neck in shape.
    This is done with a lot of old necks that don't have a truss rod.

7. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

gosh, i love this place

dickjonesify likes this.
  8. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

What Charlie said.

As for the OP adjusting the truss rod, he already said it's getting hard to turn and he still has a lot of relief.

9. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Cool - thanks guys.

Cheers Peter.

10. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

Not as straight as I would like it, but there are multiple problems here. A bit too much relief, but i can live with that for now. But many frets are fretting out. Appears to be a twist in the neck upon further examination. Not sure at this point if I should replace the neck. Might easier in the long run.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018