Tech 21 Trademark 10 - analog modeling

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by mdubya, Apr 12, 2017.

1. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

This little guys arrived today. It is sort of a blank slate with no go to presets. It does offer 3 varieties of 3 base amps; Fender Tweed, Mesa, and Marshall. From there you get choices of clean, hot, and hi-gain.

I am somewhat familiar with Tech 21, so the super sensitive "active" controls haven't put me off too bad, but I do think they are a bit too sensitive, always have.

So far, I have been able to dial in a reasonable Tweed clean on the Hot setting and the amp gets along fine with my preferred Maestro Fuzz and Maxon 808 OD. It's kinda funny, this is almost the exact same way I use my Fender Mustang about 90% of the time.

The TM 10 is a bit more crisp and clear at the super low volumes I prefer, currently. But I was surprised how I wanted to grab for the Mustang's fx and dial in some vibe at one point.

The reverb on the TM 10 is killer, so far, and allows for great splashy surf tones. It is a really good sounding low volume Champ at this point that takes my fuzz and OD and allows me to run the gamut from 60's fuzz to Led Zep to AC/DC to Hendrix to Black Sabbath. Turn off the pedals and I can play The Ventures and the James Bond Theme by toggling through pickup settings.

I haven't been able to get a single good Marshall tone yet. I am going to have to read the manual. :eek2: The Mesa setting sounds fine, but I have no idea what to do with it yet.

I bought this because I was bored and needed a new toy to mess with for few $$$. A Mustang Floor Modeler deal fell through last month and I am not quite ready to pony up for the AX8 just yet. In the meantime, the little Mustang I has never sounded better. :p

She's clean. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Wonder how it compares to the sansamp floor models.

3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

It is supposed to be a Sansamp in a cabinet with a speaker and power section.

More fiddling last night. Still liking the Tweed settings. No more luck with the Marshall tones. I don't really like preamp gain and that is what most Marshall tones seem to be based on (with a few exceptions).

I will do some searches for recommended settings. I DID read the manual, settings were OK, but not what I am looking for. :hmm: I need to find a Lead 12 setting. Then I would be happy (enough). :lol:

4. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I had the GT2 for a few years. The EQ is faiurly powerful (Active) in the Sansamp design so the tone controls have a huge affect on the tone.

5. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

Nice! I never saw the controls on those until now. It looks like the built a SansAmp into a Power Engine. I wonder if Marshall tones might be a challenge due to the open back design of the cab.

6. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

Cool amp!

7. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Yeah, the active controls are extremely sensitive. .5 on the dial will make a noticeable change.

That is what they did.

I am not sure on the open back because I am using it at what amounts to cell phone video volume, for the most part. I put the speaker at head height and face it directly at me. I will have to try it with headphones.

One of the reasons (justification) for the purchase is the flat setting on the speaker sim. I thought that might be useful for running a Mustang Floor modeler or an AX8 or even my Tech 21 British pedal into the return of the FX loop.

The Tech 21 British pedal JTM 45/plexi type tone is what I was hoping I could achieve with the Marshall model. I think some more research might get me there. The British pedal sounds glorious through a powered monitor.

I have been working away from home for the last 18 months, and my gear capacity and volume levels are greatly restricted. Much of my favorite gear is at home, unplayed. Just trying to have some fun with this thing on the cheap. :p

Pop1655 likes this.
  8. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Thanks m.b. :thumb:

Not as cool as your Kemper, though! :D

9. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

One of the best SS amps, IMO

analog modeling on the highest level

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

StingyCH and Pop1655 like this.
  10. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

:thumb:

I had a little more luck this afternoon with the British settings. I still prefer the Tweed settings. I think that is just me though. :)

11. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

:thumb:

I have the manual. I tried those. Waaaayyyy too hot for my tastes. I set the Marshall mode to the clean setting and had the drive at less than half, the mids pulled way back, bass lowered and treble about half way. Close, but still not what I am looking for. :hmm:

13. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Welp. This one had to go back. The volume was surging and the eq was going wonky while playing. I was getting some great tones out of the Tweed setting but it was inconsistent. Figured I better return it before it was too late to do so. Shame. It was a cool little amp. :sadwave:

14. pwhite

pwhite Senior Member

I was going to do a new amp thread but since this one is not to old I will just post here. I have been looking at the Trademark 10 for about 6 months and I really didn't need another amp, I just got one in December but, one came up on CL and it was cheap so I jumped on it. I have been playing a lot more on my Strats in the last 2 years and really digging this amp for clean-ish Fender or Marshall type stuff. It has super scratchy pots in it and I was told that up front and once its set it's really not that big of a deal. I have not tried to clean them yet, I wanted to see if using the amp would resolve some of it. I really like this thing and I like what I hear out of it, like a lot of other amps it gets in the ballpark of what it's meant to model but not quite there. Plus it's a 10 watt 8" amp, it's not going to sound like a Marshall stack or a Fender with a 12" speaker. If you see one and are in the market for a small practice amp on the cheap, I would try one for sure. I think mine was worth what I paid for it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    mdubya likes this.
  15. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

They were hot back in the day. One of the first solidstate amps that had credibility.

Can't remember which small Beringer amp but as soon as you see the switches it's pretty much a ripoff of Tech 21.

16. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Just a few weeks later I started my AX8 adventure and never looked back.

I have been playing my T21 British pedal through my powered monitors though, and it still sounds amazing, really great classic Marshall tones.

I really liked the tweed tones on the Trademark though.

Congrats @pwhite .

17. pwhite

pwhite Senior Member

Just want to check in, I had to order a can of Deoxit 5 to clean my pots. It arrived today and I pulled this little guy apart and cleaned the pots. No more scratchy on any of them, it's cured. I love this little thing, I played it all morning with one of my Strats then switched over to my Firebird and it's just a fun little practice amp.

mdubya likes this.
  18. Zungle

Zungle Senior Member

Never understood the Tech21 popularity....

I've owned the GT2 and Trademark 10 and 60...didn't keep any of them.

I suppose some of the Cleans were decent enough, but the full on distortion and gain...meh.

The direct tones aren't really "to die for" either.

For direct analog I used a HK Red Box Pro and the stomp of your choice

mdubya likes this.
  19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

The Trademark 10 I had here, briefly, had a great Tweed base tone. Can't comment on the other tones. They were either awful or there was something wrong with the amp; Guitar Center agreed there was something wrong with the amp. I'd like to try one that is working properly.

My T21 British pedal into a powered speaker is still my reference for modeled Marshall tones, whether digital, analog, MIAB, or whatever.

If a Fly Rig sounds as good as the British pedal, I could see it being my only low volume rig with a few extra pedals (fuzz, boost, Phase) into a powered speaker/monitor.

Then again, I was happy with my $100 Mustang I on the Deluxe Tweed model with my Maestro Fuzz and Maxon OD808 in front. With the onboard Reverb and Tremolo, I could go from splashy surf tones, to AC/DC, to the Stones Satisfaction, to full-on, vibed and fuzzed Band of Gypsys Machine Gun. Anywhere between whisper volume to bedroom jam volume, plus headphones out. That is a lot of bang for the buck. I never ran the 'phones out in to a powered monitor, but if that sounded anywhere near as good as the headphones (earbuds, actually - it didn't like my studio headphones as much) it would have sounded amazing. The worst thing about the Mustang is that it broke. :(

Zungle likes this.