Tapered Treble Bleed

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by dpgumby, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Orangedrop

Orangedrop Member

Thanks - I'll give it a try :)

2. siore

siore Senior Member

Very nice wiring scheme. :) I have two guitars wired this way now, and I think it has merits for it to stay awhile. The treble bleed cap value, just like wired conventional across the hot and wiper of the volume pot, still benefits from some tweaking. It can vary a lot to where you have good results. I got 1nf (1000pf) on one guitar, and 180pf on the other. Both humbucker guitars at that. I recommend taking out the ol' alligator clips, and see what works.

What I like is the consistent taper you have on both volume and tone knobs, also the tones are never thin, and together with some PIO tone caps, are almost always vocal. YMMV.

3. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

fabulous!

4. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Very interesting. :hmm:

5. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Hehe, dont get too excited, you may find other issues, especially when using a fuzz pedal, things react differently when you put a cap in series in the circuit, i find this too temperamental when changing tones at times.
    But if it works for you much love and blessings, just dont freak out when one of your fav pedals sounds totaly different after this mod ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. luisgarciaalanis

luisgarciaalanis Junior Member

I just wired this into my LP. I am using

500K pots.
    0.001uf cap is code 102
    0.22uf cap is code 223
    220K resistor

Results:
    I can lower the volume and treble remains
    The last 20% of the volume makes it go volume less.
    The tone caps seem to have no effect on the circuit. For some reason tone pots are useless.

Any ideas on why the tone pots seem not to have any effect on the circuit?

I rewired this again and got the same results
    I even tried this with aligator clips and the same happened... I wonder what is wrong with this.

I am using Seymour duncan alnico II pro pickups.

Thanks
    Luis

7. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

Hi!

I want to try this too!

How do you wire this in an Explorer-Style guitar with 2 volumes, 1 tone and a 3-way switch?
    Log or linear pots?

Cheers

Es

8. mytone

mytone Junior Member

So the .001uF Sprague Orange Drop cap and a 220K metal film resistor are wired one right after the other from the volume to tone pot?? I real interested in trying this but want to make sure I get it right. :slash:

9. korus

korus Senior Member

Here tone cap is BEHIND the tone pot ( vol pot - tone pot - tone cap - ground )
    1 http://www.dominocs.com/Gibson/WiringLibrary/wiringHighPassFalbo.gif

and on both here, tone cap is IN FRONT of the tone pot (vol pot - tone cap - tone pot - ground )
    2a http://www.dominocs.com/Gibson/WiringLibrary/wiringModern.jpg
    2b http://www.dominocs.com/Gibson/WiringLibrary/wiring50s.jpg

If your tone cap is connected as on 2a you should rewire it as on 1. Then the mod will work.

And use both cap and res like here (R2 and C2)
    http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss18/ilya-v/BestWiring2.jpg (note: R1 is a resistor which makes audio taper vol pot closer to linear)

10. strachs

strachs Junior Member

Anyone have an idea how this might be incorporated into a "two-volume, one-tone" -type configuration? I play an Ibanez ART100, which is wired "50's, coupled". I don't ever play with the volume so low that it causes tonal problems (typically I have the volume at about 6-7 to clean up and 10 for full gain), but I am interested in some of Joe Satriani's use of switchable treble bleed - called High Pass Filter on the JS guitars.

Check out the sound he gets at 8:11 in the V1eWXGn9rnY video on youtube.

However, treble bleed is generally found on a "one-volume, one-tone" setup or on a LP "two-volume, two-tone" topology.

Any idea how I can make use of it on mine?

(BTW - anyone with a Gibson Explorer or Flying V has the same wiring, so this may have a wider audience than it first appears).

11. domct203

domct203 Senior Member

Just thought I'd give this great thread a bump. I've been running this Treble Bleed in my Sig T for 8-10 months now and I really like it, much better for me than 50's wiring.

Time to add it to the Norlin.

Dom

1 person likes this.
  12. TNJason

TNJason Senior Member

Hello all. I've been reading a lot about treble bleeds and would like to try this one. I'm really good at following directions but know very little about the way electronics actually work. I have wired all of my guitars myself, single coils and HB's, 50's and modern. Complete diagrams and pictures help me the most. I have 50's wiring in my 2 Les Pauls and want to try this mod. From the diagram, it looks like the PIO caps are no longer there. I know that can't be. So do I ADD what is shown in the diagram to the existing wiring? I know I would have to change back to modern by moving the caps over a lug, but then do I just add the other cap and resistor? Thanks in advance for replying to a necropost. Detailed pics would be great if anyone would be so kind. Thank you.

13. Sugardaddy1979

Sugardaddy1979 Senior Member

Check out the diagrams in post 8 of this thread. The green circle is the tone cap that would be your pio. The diagram references a ceramic disc type cap.

14. TNJason

TNJason Senior Member

Thank you Sugardaddy. One more stupid question. Is the jumper going from the center lug of the volume to the top lug of the tone a cap as well? In the diagram it looks like one with the little yellow circle on it.

Thanks

15. Sugardaddy1979

Sugardaddy1979 Senior Member

It is a capacitor as well.

16. JHMvP

JHMvP Senior Member

Good thing that this old thread was pulled up again!

I totally forgot about it although I was planning to try this.

17. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta Senior Member

Yeah pretty much. I sell/install a bunch of them.

Volume, one can install grease buckets on the tone pot or pots. I install a fair bit of these as well.

18. if6was9

if6was9 Senior Member

I have used this "Tapered Treble Bleed" on two guitars for the last 4 or 5 years and prefer it to regular modern wiring, modern wiring with 'standard' treble bleeds or '50's wiring.

I purchased a new ES-335 two months ago and I'm working up the courage to pull the controls out of the F hole and rewire it also.

1 person likes this.
  19. JHMvP

JHMvP Senior Member

What components and values did you actually use? On what kind of humbuckers?

1 person likes this.
  20. if6was9

if6was9 Senior Member

On my '78 "The Paul" I used the suggested values of 220k resistor and 0.001uf capacitor. It has a set of Guitar Force Rebel II pickups 8.8k bridge and 7.9k neck - all 4 pots are 500k audio taper.

My Epi SG copy has Lace alumitone pickups with all 4 pots 300k audio taper. I used the same size cap (0.001uf) but I went with a 150k resistor.

Another good read on this subject can be found here:
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/109923-top-secret-wiring-pros.html

1 person likes this.