Taking Flight With Vibrato

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by SlapChop, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

My head was either too big, or my my Mums kettle was too small...:laugh2:

:applause:..:laugh2: I found my old ray gun on line..

[​IMG]

2. Lampens

Lampens Senior Member

Your house here, house there reminded me of a joke.
    Wasn't there a joke about London having lot of warehouses before the war? There warehouses, and over there warehouses.

Maybe it was dutch about rotterdam. :hmm: Warehouses in dutch translate better to there were houses.

A lot of bombing stuff going on tonight. I don't think the IRA or ETA talked about this many bombs in their conversations. :laugh2:

3. SlapChop

SlapChop Senior Member

I grew up right on the cusp of the change from an outdoor adventurous childhood and the video game era. I think I was about 10 or 11 when Nintendo became the thing to do, but at that early stage, it was not nearly the time sink that xbox is today. I mean, when it takes you 30 minutes to beat Mario Bros., how long can you really spend playing it?

I grew up on a quiet dead end street with a field and orchard at the end, and a creek running through it with a big old train tressle going over the creek. That was my hang out. Fishing for creek chubs, swimming, playing guns with my friends and squishing coins together with passing trains was what passed the time for us... In winter we'd toboggan or build forts and have snowball fights. One time I broke through the frozen creek and got completely soaked. Luckily I fell into a shallow spot and was able to walk out and get home before I froze to death or drowned.

4. Lampens

Lampens Senior Member

I got my first computer and mobile phone when I was in my twenties. Only had three channels, and some german channels on the tv. I played with lego.

5. SlapChop

SlapChop Senior Member

Ah yea, I had a huge box of lego as well.

6. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

I forget the exact quote, but Roger Daltery was explaining his upbringing in a documentary about The Who, & he basically said that the things they valued (like your guitar, but also like actually being able to hear the music) were bloody hard to come by. As a result of that, they placed a huge value on them.

By comparison, these days so much is available to so many people so easily that it doesn't have the same value, and becomes viewed as disposable...

...which explains a lot of music I hear these days... :laugh2:

...but also some modern attitudes towards music or learning an instrument.

7. WhippingPost

WhippingPost Senior Member

I guess I'm a bit behind the current stroke of this thread, but I have been reading it off and on since its inception.

How someone could not make that "beautiful" connection with music is something I don't understand. I've heard solo horns that make your heart cry, and violin pieces that make it leap. I've heard minor-key numbers that were obviously written on the happiest day of someone's life, and major-key numbers that must have been composed during the last dying breath of love.

I can't tell you if I can swing or not, but it's certainly something I enjoy the feel of listening to. I think my playing suffers most (although most people suffer through it...) from trying to play what I think others will want to hear in a passage. I know that I enjoy listening to my playing much more when I just let my soul speak without trying to think-up the words.

And, my vibrato is atrocious. :laugh2: I have this stiff-arm technique that I developed during my earliest playing (before I gained the hand strength necessary), but haven't been able to break it. My bent-note vibrato is much more "from the wrist," but my standard vibrato is stiff and sounds very forced. Maybe if I wouldn't have taught myself I would have learned more proper technique. :laugh2:

Now, have I caught myself up in the conversation?

8. WhippingPost

Oh, I forgot: I was supposed to post music as well. Well, this is the kind of stuff that I play with when I'm not working on band material:

SoundClick artist: Fred J - page with MP3 music downloads

There's vibrato in there (very little), so it's relevant, right? Also, it would appear that I'm more of a clean note into widening vibrato guy...

9. mudfinger

mudfinger Thanks for the memories! V.I.P. Member

Yer vibrato ain't so bad; there's tension in it, like Jimmy's. If you wanna change it fine, but it matches the phrasing and general sensibility of what you play. :thumb:

10. WhippingPost

Thanks mudfinger. :) While listening to that clip, I'll agree that it does seem to fit in well, it's more a feel thing for me. When I'm playing a more intense song (faster temo and/or faster vibrato), it just feel so forced. Not comfortable. Not good. I can't believe something that feels that forced can be good for me. KnowwhatI'msayin? :)

11. mudfinger

mudfinger Thanks for the memories! V.I.P. Member

Yup. If it ain't feeling good, it definitely ain't good. I think the only way to kill the stiff-arm technique is to retrain that arm a bit; since your bent note vibrato is all good, what happens on ghost bends? If you fret the note, bend it up and back, THEN pluck it, does that trick your fretting hand into doing wrist vibrato? If so, I bet some daily work on that right before sleep would show some changes within a couple/few weeks. :thumb:

12. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

Vibrato is major to me..........I do the wide in your face version.....Although there isnt really many solos in my bands songs even though I write them but I do adds bits here and there to keep me awake.

............I use it a lot on the bent notes only pretty much as it gives the width and flux to it. .......It's a lot of what playing a guitar is about for me.

I like playing solos but, yet I dont add them to the songs I write.....I guess if I think they wouldnt fit then..........They dont get one.

Someone asked for a video once ages ago to show how I do it, but.,...Im not sure youd learn much from a video anyway. Theres no substitute for messing around with it. I have little in the way of patience for practicing so I dont really bother...but If I do pick a guitar up, I will sit and just bend notes and do vibrato to keep the fingers hard and the arm moving. If I dont play for a week it starts to suffer along with my temper.

13. TravisW

TravisW Senior Member