Taking Flight With Vibrato

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by SlapChop, Sep 1, 2010.

1. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

I've had terrific messages during the years Mud, things that I lost with the account. But people telling me beautiful things. It's... addictive :)
    Roman, I'm watching you as I write this. I think I have a similar approach to yours in the playing. I would call it... the word was "wise" playing. I don't know if it's your white beard "tricking me", but you are as I expected you to be.

I like it. You'll understand.

2. Roman

Roman Master Luthier V.I.P. V.I.P. Member

I have been to classical performances where I saw the same thing.

I think there is a certain "politeness" involved, or it is uncool or "unsophisticated" to exhibit the proper emotional response.

Once I was at an LA philharmonic performance, I was the only "rocker" there in a sea of Tuxes and sophistication. :laugh2: I got certain looks of disapproval for being too enthusiastic in my applause.:hmm:

3. Maus

Maus Member

Guys, seriously... cut it out.

Here I am trying to learn to play the guitar, and you start throwing all these really informative and educational posts at me!

:D

So much to learn, so little time. (or so it feels)

:dude:

4. mudfinger

mudfinger Thanks for the memories! V.I.P. Member

Good way to describe it; wise. I was reaching for something similar without success.

When I was much younger, and even more full of myself than I am now :)rolleyes:), I always got a selfish kick out of compliments on my playing, but as I got older that sorta faded, and I noticed a sense of being humbled by such things; it's a privilege to make that connection with other people, do a tiny bit of good in the world thru music, ain't it?

The only time I can really tolerate sitting thru good musical performances is when I'm outside. And the beer is good. :laugh2: I absolutely do not grasp the concept of showing emotional reserve in response to a great musical performance. I guess that's what sophistication is all about, being too experienced and worldly to express anything honest, direct, and genuine? Bah to that.

You'll make Phil's day when he reads this, Maus. :D And...you'll get no mercy from us...None! :laugh2: :thumb:

5. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Wow, just wow. That' EXACTLY how I feel now.
    I used to be "outgoing" as a personality trait. Now "compliments" humble me down.

That a sing of age, Muddy? ;)

6. mudfinger

mudfinger Thanks for the memories! V.I.P. Member

Sadly, yes. :shock: Decrepitude cannot be far behind! :laugh2: Mebbe as the years go on, and the reality of being human and alone really sinks in, those moments of connection become more meaningful? I really don't think I've gotten all that much wiser, but I do find I'm more easily moved to that kind of emotion when I experience a sense of being connected with others, be it thru music or just a good conversation, even. It's uplifting, a moment of goodness in a world filled with people mostly looking after their own selves, myself included. That sound about right?

7. Roman

In today's times people do not connect anymore, they "hook up". Similar to in-flight refueling of a fighter jet.

8. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Thanks Mud..I'll tell her. Shotgun's weren't the word..My wife and I were once waiting to pick her up after an evening at a night club she went to when she was 18 . Suddenly she strolls round the corner with this guy and my wife always remembers to this day me sitting bolt upright in the car shouting.." Who the ****ing hell is that retard?" Luckily she's 26 now and grown up.. ( Thank heavens ). She's still a bit of a whako though like her Dad and really moody with her Mothers temper and with an IQ of 135. She doesn't take any shit from guys either.That's my gal. :laugh2:
    But she's got a great voice and we do lots of gigs together.

Dad and daughter..:laugh2:

[​IMG]

9. Roman

A proud Papa.

10. MineGoesTo11

MineGoesTo11 Senior Member

Nice work Phil, she's lovely. :thumb:

11. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Sounds great to me Roman.. The one thing you can tell about you is that you live, eat and crap guitars as a way of life and you tell your story.
    I am not impressed by clever tricks, because with 99% of people that's all they are..Party pieces. I want to hear someones life story and it doesn't have to consist of a million notes to do so.
    I have known quite a few pro players over theyears and not one of them are impressed by flashiness, simply because when you work you work as a team and there is no room for prima donnas.
    What a lot of people on forums don't realize is the reaction of some players about all this hero worship.
    I was chatting to Martin Barre who lives not far from me a few years ago and telling him about threads on his burst.
    He just pissed himself laughing and said ' Silly sods.' That Les Paul is in a cupboard under the stairs as my retirement fund. Everything I play on most albums is done on Strats straight out of their cardboard box from Fender.

Same with Robbie McIntosh he just throws his eyes up to the ceiling and sighs. He turn up at most gigs with a bashed out old JV Squire and a Matchless.
    These guys don't endlessly talk about truss rod covers and pickup rings, but get on with what they do best..Playing guitar.
    I just hope some youngsters read this and realize that it isn't all about achieving Slash tones and making your guitar the right shade of red etc.
    Ok fine if you want to remain in your bedroom for the rest of your life, but remember there is only one Slash, as there are only one of all these guitar heros and Slashes tone doesn't come from white pickguard rings, top wrapping and all that other stuff.. It's simply because he's him and you aint gonna sound like him in a million years.
    You know what the pros would say.. Stop fucking around trying to sound like someone else and start down the road of sounding like you, because there are millions of you out there all sitting in your bedrooms reading boutique pickup mags instead of hauling your arse down to a local jam every week and gaining some experience.
    OK be inspired by someone..That's great and that's how we all learn, but don't waste your time copying solos off you-tube note for note for six months of your life.
    If you don't believe me just listen to say Hendrix or Clapton .. They never play the same solo twice, even if they play the same song for six concerts in a row.
    Why not? Because it's impossible.
    OK prove it to yourselves. Try telling the same ad libbed story exactly the same six time on the trot. A million to one you wont get the words the same or in the right order and even if you did you'd never get the inflections, punctuation, pauses and dynamics the same either. It's impossible.
    If you want to sound like someone, then emulate their playing style and phrasing, but don't wate your time copying these guys note for note, coz they think it's all a scream.
    I once played a gig and a guy came up to me and said " I didn't know Hendrix recorded that". "He didn't" I replied. I just played in his style.
    So if you want to do that, imagine yourself as a one of these guys who mimics famous peoples voices and mannerisms. We've all seen them on stage and thought they sound exactly like Bill Clinton or whoever. But remember, Bill Clinton maybe never ever uttered those words, it's your imagination that goes to work and convinces you he might have.

P.S. Roman did you get my PM about Tele bodies route out for a B bender?

12. MineGoesTo11

MineGoesTo11 Senior Member

That's interesting about improvising. I've been looking at jazz licks lately, and what one of the guys on a video said was that you are simply remembering licks like you remember words. You don't remember sentences, you take the words you know and say something different every time.

Another said something like, you do these scales and licks, you aren't remembering fret positions, just shapes and memories that get into the fingers which you then move around.

A couple of 'ah ha!' moments for me there.

13. Roman

Great stories Phil. Thanks for the kind words as well.

In my experience with the Rock Star "heroes" has been this, they are just people, and for the most part humble.

The ones that are assholes were ALWAYS assholes.

In my travels I have found even the ones who have a reputation for "having an Ego" not that way. ( at least with me)

The common denominator for them reaching the status they have has not been talking about it, or tinkering, or any of this nonsense people engage in on the forums, but by playing. PERIOD

It has amazed me the amount of pro players that are uninformed and don't care about the technical aspects of their instruments. They just play. :hmm:

14. 3rdstone

3rdstone Senior Member

I just got back from the Labor Day trip up north, and for the last 40 minutes or so, My eyes and ears have been absolutely glued to this thread!

Pardon this post if it goes astray, or misses something, I am terrible at expressing myself in written/typed form. :eek:

@ Phil 47, I watched all but one (blocked Stateside by Sony) episode of How Music Works, And I think it is fantastic. :) Posted it in the Cellar, and what happens? Not a single response. :rolleyes:

The other day I interrupted, poor StBede's thread, because what huw had posted, was such an epiphany to me. I get really worked up when I see something on these boards that strike me like: Yes!, Yes! That's exactly right!, Finally, someone besides myself actually get's it! You get the idea.

I started out on the guitar some 23 years ago, but quickly changed over to the Bass because, well, even as a guitar player in my first few bands, I could not stand all of the bassists that were completely missing how a particular song was supposed to "move" or "dance" as huw has expressed somewhere in this thread. I almost felt it was my duty of sorts, to pick up the bass, as no one seemed to quite "get it".

Now years later, I am once again picking up the guitar, and I read here in the Lessons section quite a bit. And thank God, there are people who know what they are talking about posting in these threads.

@ Roman, thanks for posting that clip per the original title of the thread, and demonstrating your vibrato technique.

The last 20 or so posts talking about swing, rock, and rock-n-roll etc., really struck a nerve with me, I felt compelled to post. But most of all, if you guys feel like your "singing to the choir", then I guess I just joined the choir...

Cheers

15. Roman

Fully keeping with the original post title, I give you one of, if not the, masters of Vibrato, Mr. Jeff Beck! :applause:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uwvBizKAwc]YouTube - a day in the life[/ame]

16. Roman

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msPiKYuuRiQ&feature=related]YouTube - Jeff Beck - Cause We've Ended as Lovers[/ame]

17. goatbreath

goatbreath Banned

I love the fatness of your tone and tone is in the fingers..You can use the controls on your guitar way better than I can.That's some of the best use of the volume pot fading in technique I have ever witnessed..The Warpig is a impressive sounding axe..If it is named after you being a fan of Mr Iommi,,the only bit I can hear his influence is when you have your volume on full and you hit a note then later apply vibrato..Nice touch..I hear lots of Jimi's influence in there,,but I actually prefer your tone..

I think you are a good player and have a really effective way of how you touch a guitar..Working with your own limitations is working with you.That's where it is at I reckon.That's how you develop personality as a player..If you are going to build a building and you have bricks and mortar,,you build it from that because they are the resources you personally have..If you don't have sandstone blocks like the other guy who built a building you admired once,,it doesn't mean you are lacking materials,,it just means your building will be different..In music that is a good thing..That's why we all don't just have one piece of music in our collections..I hope that made sense and doesn't come across as being some weird random rant..

What is a real player???Someone who can play a bit of music and make you go yeah,,you've got something,,I like that.,I like listening to you play..Not f*ck me listen to the speed that dude can play at,Impressive for a couple of minutes but after that you get bored and listen to some actual music..

I must admit myself,, I am actually guilty if playing a longer piece of music guilty of putting in a bit of speed somewhere,,just to show that I can do it,but also for a bit of contrast..that probably means I haven't fully grown up yet and want to say to the younger guys for a moment,,look I can do it..but I do try and do it within context..also it's a cheap trick that will hopefully get them to listen to the rest of my playing on a bit of music.

Maybe I am being hard on myself and it's part of my style and what I have learned to do to cope with a certain musical situation..Who knows??,,It seems that I don't?..
    Now there was a guilty admission from me..

I really like your playing Roman,,I also REALLY like your tone..

18. goatbreath

goatbreath Banned

Huw the Bartok sounds full of mysticism..There is something elemental in there if that makes sense...I get a similar thing from some of the passages of Daphnis and Chloe by Ravel..

A different type of atmosphere of mysticism I get from a piece of music,,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySMFuWE9xBM]YouTube - Syrinx, C. Debussy by Dante de Simone[/ame]

19. 3rdstone

3rdstone Senior Member

Don't suppose these guys are any good at vibrato :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQRV6YlhqgQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton & Bb King - Live At Rrhof (2005)[/ame]

Edited, see Roman's post below.

Cheers

20. Roman

SoloDallas, mudfinger, wreckingball, Phil, and Goatbreath, Thank you so very much for your kind words. :D Goatbreath, I should hire you to be my publicity guy! I don't think I have ever had such a compliment...........ever. Thank you. :D:D:D I was fully expecting to be critiqued and torn into bits which would have been fine since I would have learned something.

I have a long way to go and may never get there, but my interest in playing is coming back after a 10 year+ absence. So thank you all!

Back on topic.......Vibrato.

As great as Jeff beck is, I like Jimi better. Jeff is very refined and technical, whereas Jimi is pure raw emotion and his vibrato reflects that.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hipdlGSLYk4&feature=related]YouTube - Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun Live Fillmore 2nd show[/ame]

As much as I have grown sick of hearing this song, Jimmy's solo has some extraordinary Vibrato in it. It is also a beautiful song when you get a break from hearing it and listen to it with fresh ears. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Z2jaPN2dU&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Z2jaPN2dU&feature=related[/ame]