TAD Biasmaster!!!!

Discussion in 'Amplified Parts' started by AmplifiedParts, May 1, 2017.

1. AmplifiedParts

AmplifiedParts MLP Sponsor

We have a new video up on our YouTube channel talking about the TAD BiasMaster meter. This little gadget is really helpful when you're trying to get your monster 100 watt Marshall dialed in! You can follow the link and check it out. Be sure to subscribe as we're always loading up new videos on different subjects.

bulletproof and RAG7890 like this.
  2. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Hello - would a non-biased tube amp cause it to suddenly go very loud?

Mine does this now and then - and the only way I can get it to settle down is to run GAIN at #10 on the dial for say 5-10 mins. After that I play clean for some time - but it will again suddenly break up and then be very loud... I have installed a fan in the amp as badly needed one, so I wonder if its bias caps are not wired right - or crudy and causing the amp to run hot... and therefore cause this issue?

Its a 18 watt clone of what appears to be a fender schematic... it's done this since day one and no manner of tubes + cap swaps will resolve this issue.

So I'm wondering what biasing can resolve - would using this tool allow me to resolve this issue?
    Many thanks :)

3. NXT013

NXT013 Junior Member

4. AmplifiedParts

AmplifiedParts MLP Sponsor

It all depends honestly. There is a chance that your bias is set using resistors rather than an adjustable bias pot. If this is the case as it is with many 15-18 watt amps out there then this tool wouldn't help too much in the moment. If it has an adjustable bias with a trim pot then this tool would be very useful in terms of setting the bias.

5. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

You are right - it is biased using transistors!