Tacoma Guitar Festival

Discussion in 'MLP Meets' started by Slater529, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Slater529

Slater529 Premium Member

This year's Tacoma Guitar Festival is coming soon - April 29 and 30 at the Tacoma Dome. Any MLPers going?

I'll be there again, sharing a booth with a couple buddies. This year I've got a few pickups and 3 very nice vintage amps for sale. There will also be a few guitars and other odds and ends in the booth.

unnamed.jpg

2. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

I'll be there Sat. Look for a dumbass walking around in a Cabella's hat.

Lungo likes this.
  3. Lungo

Lungo Silver Supporter

I'm floundering. Not excited about the drive but might be worth it to see Andy Timmons and Larry Mitchell play. I'll have to check the schedule to see what times they go on.

4. Slater529

Slater529 Premium Member

Hope to see you there Big John.

Lungo, if you make it please stop by and say "Hi". We have a corner booth, and I'll be wearing a red Martin Guitar hat.

5. Lungo

Lungo Silver Supporter

I'll definitely look for you if I go. :thumb:

6. Big John

Got to demo some new amps from Boss, Yamaha, and PRS, and they were ok. Tom Deering's amps were awesome, and he had some cool "back in the day" stories. Ken from Sound Sculpture gave me a personal tour of his amazing switching systems. I hit him with some routing questions that involved treating preamp and power sections of amps separately with series loops with his switchers, and he just went into encyclopedia mode which was amazing to follow. The JHS pedal booth was fun as hell. The capper for me was demo'ing the Fluxtone stuff. Nicest folks in the world with possibly the best sounding way to "master volume" an amp I've heard to date. I even got a t-shirt out of them. Fun show for this kid.

Lungo and Slater529 like this.
  7. Lungo

Lungo Silver Supporter

What PRS amp did you play?

Sounds like it was a good event. I really wanted to go but this was the first weekend we've had with full days of no rain. Had to take advantage of it and get some things done in the yard.

8. Slater529

Slater529 Premium Member

I had a great time at the show this year. Met my buds at the Poodle Dog in Fife for breakfast, then headed over the Dome and loaded in. Big John stopped by the booth and we shot the sh*t for a while, then he walked across the aisle and demo'd the Fluxtone amp stuff. Big John - you got some CHOPS man! Seriously.

I ended up selling 2 of the 4 amps I brought, and traded the other 2 plus some cash for a '38 Martin 00-18... one of my bucket list guitars.

:cheers2:

Big John likes this.
  9. Big John

Thanks, man. The lester that Fluxtone had there to demo the amps was set-up really nice, which helped my redneck fingers a ton. Glad you were able to move those amps. Which reminds me, I need to do some homework today on those Altecs you had in the Twin...just for me own edification. Don't remember the PRS amp models (combos) I played, Lungo. They were ok, but nothing that really blew my skirt up...wait, wut? The loud room at the show was funny. Half the players that were wailing away didn't even care that they were out of tune. And I'll bet you that very few at the show knew that one of the Boss demo guys was a retired GIT instructor that can shred your balls off.

Lungo and Slater529 like this.
  10. Slater529

Slater529 Premium Member

One of my booth-mate buds ended up buying the green Fluxtone (see photo) as the show was winding down Sunday.

IMG_2422 (2).JPG

Big John likes this.