Tab Transcription For Stairway to Heaven

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Stoli, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Stoli

Stoli Senior Member

First of all, I know that a lot of people that play hate this song and I promise to not try to play it around anyone that feels that way about it.;) I am pretty much a beginner/novice and this song gets into some new techniques and concepts for me.

Could anyone recommend an accurate transcription for Stairway that is either online or in a book? I do not mind paying for a good tab that I can follow if need be. I have been noodling with the song off and on for a little while and have seen all sorts of transcriptions for it but they all seem to differ someplace. I first got into the song just strumming the chords from Led Zeppelin Complete Lyric and Chord Songbook from Alfred Music. It gives you chords and lyrics but no tab, pickng patterns, solo notes, etc.

I would like to learn as much of the song as I can because it gets into a lot techniques that I am just just beginning to try to scratch the surface on such as finger picking, arpregios, and the solo. I figure all of these skills should translate well to other tunes. The song also has some chords/voicings that I had not seen before.

Up to this point I have mostly just learned to strum simple songs and try to play in time. I sort of look at this song as my Winter project to work on. The song is a monster to me with the length, parts, and techniques.

2. JonR

JonR Senior Member

Sorry, but too many people play this song already. The world needs no more.:D

Seriously, I'd just go for any one of the gazillions of online tabs, and check by listening to the recording.

Failing that, download this - https://www.seventhstring.com/ - and check it yourself.

If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing yourself. ;)

3. Stoli

Stoli Senior Member

Yeah, I qualified my comments because of the disdain for this song but it gets at some things that I would like to learn. I never truly appreciated this scene in Wayne's World until I started noodling with this song.

Actually I am getting to the point where Transcribe makes some sense for me. I know you recommended this program some time back and my trial ran out. At the time, I was so overwhelmed that I was not able to use it for much other than a play along with chords. I still do not have the ear to make full use of it but with a tab I think it could be helpful for something that does not sound right and the slow down and looping could be of benefit as well. I am under no illusion that I can pick all of this tune up easily. Some parts are pretty easy but others are difficult and it seems no one agrees on some of the nuances of the song. I can slowly get through the intro and first half of the first verse with the fingerpicking and strum the rhythm to the solo, bridge, and some of the links. Some really pretty chord progressions in parts of the song.

I am envious of those of you that have a good ear.

Who likes this.