T-rex pedals??

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by nolzen, Jan 19, 2014.

1. nolzen

nolzen Member

I was just wondering if any of you out there has tried any of the pedals of the brand T-REX like the Mudhoney, Alberta, Room-Mate or Comp-Nova? I mean just your general experiences?

2. Stuart_tate41

Stuart_tate41 Senior Member

I have the Tonebug Overdrive which is pretty good. I've tried the Hobo drive which I liked as well.

Gary Moore used a few of them like the Alberta live so they must be good!

3. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

I've had a ton of T-Rex pedals over the years - lemme think: Twin Boost, Moller, Mudhoney, Reptile, Replica, Tremster and Hobo Drive.

I don't have any now but that's in no way down to the quality of the pedals. I just wanted to try new things and whist it would be nice to have a ton of pedals lying around "just in case" they're not exactly cheap! Build quality really is outstanding, though.

- The one I regret letting go the most was the Moller. Really flexible pedal, great overdrive tone with the 'clean blend' and a boost built in. I used it for years as my only drive sound rehearsing after work in London and travelling in by train with my guitar and Moller in a gig bag and using whatever amp the rehearsal room had.

- Mudhoney sounded immense but I found it a little noisy. Could have been my PSU - I did switch it out for a better one and dropped a lot of noise from my rig but that was post-Mudhoney so can't be 100% sure. The new Mudhoney 2 looks cool: twin channel version.

- Replica is a sublime delay pedal but I needed more room on my board so swapped it out for a MXR Carbon Copy when we dropped the U2 numbers (no longer needed tap-tempo :) ). Ironically I originally bought this to replace the Reptile purely for the tap-tempo!!

- Tremster is a great tremolo but not quite as good as the one on my Bluesbreaker hence it became surplus to requirements. Plus I only used it on one song - which also got dropped from our set!

- Hobo Drive was good but I liked my ZVex Double Rock and Fulltone OCD better and having 5 channels of drive on my 'board because excessive. :)

I'm very intrigued by the new Magnus as a lightweight 'all-in-one' solution for when I don't want to lug the whole board with me.

4. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Senior Member

I just have a Tonebug Overdrive, but it's a super good sounding pedal!

1 person likes this.
  5. Coldacre

Coldacre Senior Member

I've had a few. the one currently on my board is the Twin Boost. can't fault them really, they sound great and the build quality is superb. I just wish they weren't so pricey in my country.

6. kboman

kboman Senior Member

7. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

I have a Mudhoney and a Møller.
    The Mudhoney is described as an overdrive/distortion and it can go from sweet mild saturation to fuzzy wildness. Have a nice bottom and the tone control acts like a treble cut/boost without affecting the lows.
    The Møller is a great tubescreamer kind of overdrive, with a knob to mix dirty and clean signal. Build in clean boost too.
    I love both of them :)

8. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

Totally agree with this. Wish I still had mine.

9. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

10. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I had an alberta. Sounded great!

11. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Confusingly so! I haven't looked into it to any depth, but it seems like a strategic error to have two so similar products out at the same time.

12. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I also have a Tonebug Overdrive, a very nice sounding overdrive pedal.

13. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Here we go!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIxxVdNd7_8]NAMM '14 - T-Rex Effects SoulMate, Vulture, Creamer, and Replay Box Demos - YouTube[/ame]

14. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

Those individual pedals sound great.

15. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

I bought a Mudhoney years ago, and it's never moved off my board since. That's saying something, because at one point I had probably 50 or so pedals, 20-30 of which made it to shows.

I've been told it's based on the Rat circuit. I found that surprising, because I don't care for them, but after some thought, I can hear a similarity.

It's definitely not noisy, so tolm's PS must have been the issue.

Very interested in that combo pedal, individual effects, insert loop, tap tempo... damn, that'd make a fantastic quick grab-n-go or home board.

Edit: Hmm... no modulation, and an amp relay or two is a glaring omission. Maybe the next model?

16. porto leone

porto leone Junior Member

I currently own five t-rex pedals and the three of them (Alberta, Trem-ster, Reptile II) are fantastic. The Moller has an excellent built-in clean booster and it's very versatile, but it lacks some character and takes some effort to tweak if you play with different types of guitars and pickups. I'm kinda disappointed with the Bloody Mary (first edition). It's very raspy, fuzzy and mid heavy in an unmusical way, if that makes sense. I've kept it on my pedalboard for more than five years, but it's gonna leave as soon as i get some funds to buy another hi-gain pedal.

17. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Senior Member

I have the Mudhoney II.

Great dirt box.
    It can go from mild boost to mild overdrive.
    Then from mild overdrive to grinding distortion, and then really good sludge tones :dude:

18. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Senior Member

Cool pedalboard, simple and just what´s really needed!:cool::applause:

1 person likes this.
  20. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Had a few, great build quality and sound. The Gristle King was very nice, Greg Kosh had something to do with the designing and now i think someone else makes the model but the T-rex Gristle King is a great overdrive no doubt about it!

Angus Blackmore likes this.