SX SST57 worth modding?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by steocullen91, May 2, 2017.

1. steocullen91

steocullen91 Junior Member

Hi. I have a tanglewood les Paul which has entwistle hv58 pickups and I love it it sounds great. Just thought I'd throw that in since it's a les Paul forum :)

Anyway I have an sx stratocaster that I bought for 120 euro a couple of years back and it sounds good as far as tuning and intonation etc. What I'm wondering is would it be worth my while to modify this with a pickup upgrade and would it give me much of an advantage. People say sx are decent bodies and are good for modding and people even recommended them a few times over squier since they're cheap and decent enough.

If I was to upgrade the pickups which ones would you recommend since most cost more than the guitar did and I wonder would it really make that much of a difference to the tone. Thanks in advance.

2. TheZ

TheZ Senior Member

If you want to notice a big difference, change the pickups and electronics since it's probably got pretty cheap pots/switch etc. As for which pickups, there's a million options out there. Whether it's inherently worth it depends on how much you like the guitar. You won't get much more for it if you try and sell it. But if it's a keeper and you want to improve it, have at it.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  3. ultra80096

ultra80096 Senior Member

I have an older SX Strat copy also I picked up at a pawn shop for little $$. After cleaning & setting up the guitar, its very comfortable & plays nice. I found a set of used Tonerider Surfari's I put in, & really took the sound up quite a few calibers. But through a good tube amp, even the cheapo pickups didn't sound too bad.

4. guitarjoem

guitarjoem Double Platinum Supporter MLP Vendor

Whether it's worth it depends on whether you think it's a keeper, like TheZ said. A good set of pups for a strat will set you back as much or more than the guitar is worth. That being said, if the neck is good and the guitar can be intonated well (with or without a replacement bridge and/or nut), I'd think about upgrading something like that in this way:
    0. Setup
    1. Good tuning machines.
    2. Pickups/electronics
    3. Nut
    4. Bridge
    Basically the same priority as with any other guitar. Do a good setup on it and see where the red "You are Here" dot is on your roadmap. Get the tuning stable. Change the sound to your liking. Upgrade lower quality hardware.
    Just MHO. YMMV.

5. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

Start with pickups, then the pots and switch, then the bridge and tuners. It's a good bet that the Squier Classic 50s Strat trem will drop in. Look at vendor sites like Angela Instruments for parts at good prices.

Worst case on the trem is that you'll have to plug the screw holes and redrill, but there's a good chance that you won't need to.

I don't know what tuners come on the SX, but if they're modern style you can get reasonably priced replacements that will fit existing mounts if you shop around. I use a lot of the WD die-cast tuners for budget builds, and they're as good or better than anything else I've ever used.

6. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

Yes. Since you won´t expend too much and keep the parts to a possible sale. Electronics worth an exchange aswell the pickups. And a steel and bigger bridge block will help a lot too.