Switching between Les Paul and Strat during a set - what to do about volume drop?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Citrus Fresh, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Citrus Fresh

Citrus Fresh Member

Hi Guys, Hope I'm posting this in the correct bit of the forum!

My current set up is a R7 Lester, a '57 AR Strat loaded with SD Antiquities into an Orange Dual Terror. I've got some pedals in the middle.

I'm playing in a covers band and I need to switch between axes as some suit the 'Paul and some need that Strat bite.

Before I got the R7 I had a Les Paul classic with Slash Custom SD's loaded. The volume change was quite noticeable when swapping. I then sold the Classsic and got the R7. The R7 is a beast. It was far more powerful than all the other Reissues that I tried in the shop.

Now the problem is even worse. The Strat sounds tiny in comparison.

I got an Exotic effects rC booster, unfortunately it sounds so good through the rig I now leave it on all the time hahaha.

what can I do? Help!

2. bill m

bill m MLP Vendor

Turn your amp volume up a little when using the strat and turn it down a little when using the paul.

3. L.Campionero

L.Campionero Banned

turn this knob

[​IMG]

sdjjadk and MusicMan like this.
  4. River

River Senior Member

My amp has an effects loop I don't use, with adjustable send and return levels. I set them so activating the loop bumps the volume.

5. 76Custom

76Custom Senior Member

A lttle EQ pedal could be just the thing too.

MusicMan and diceman like this.
  6. jamman

jamman Premium Member

How about this , try lowering both pickups on th R7 so it's in the range of the Strats volume, and than turn up the volume on the Amp, so your happy with the Strat's level,than turn down the volume knob on the R7 untill it's = to the Strat.

I can't believe I just wrote that LOL !!!!! cool

Thundergod likes this.
  7. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Agreed 100%.

8. 76Custom

76Custom Senior Member

Thanks Dice. I'd try that first. Also makes a good boost for leads.

9. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I think they work great for a good boost, and it is something that you can set and forget - just tap the pedal when you switch guitars...

10. b3john

b3john Senior Member

Barber Launch Pad: big time clean headroom boost.

Now I have the modeler patches take care of that stuff.

11. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

Boost pedal.

12. The DUDE

The DUDE Senior Member

The ideal solution would be two separate amps....otherwise, I'd also go with the EQ pedal or clean boost.

13. Danelectro

Danelectro V.I.P. Member

I use a Dr Z Airbrake Attenuator in order to keep my stage volume at a reasonable level. It has which has a five position knob that attenuates in approximately 2.5 Db increments. I set it on 4 (about -10 Db) when I using my Les Paul and I bump it up to 3 when I switch to a Strat. It works better than fiddling with a volume knob because the change in volume is a fixed amount.

14. PSM

PSM Senior Member

Times however many on the EQ pedal. This also gives you a little flexibility with tone since your amp will only be EQ'd to one guitar (or you'll settle for an "in between" EQ on the amp). Get a quality EQ pedal and EQ the amp to sound best with whichever guitar you don't use the EQ pedal for. Then plug in the guitar that you do use it for and use the pedal EQ to not only boost your level a bit, but also tweak the tone for that guitar since your amp EQ setting might not be ideal for that guitar.

15. LIBERTYMACHINE

LIBERTYMACHINE Banned

I hate strats, but.........I'd consider changing the pups in the strat.( I know, a bit extreme).
    I saw a dude changing guitars thru his set (Paul to Strat to Paul etc) and his strat had thoseEMG -DG20 (David Gilmour Pre-Wired Pickguard/Pickup Set) and man, that strat's Volume and textures were nice and "Gibsony". No dips/changes on volume etc. The only pedal he used was a Boss T3 tuner. I had to ask him how his strat sounded so good as/against /Vs. Gibson. His band was a 70's classic rock cover band & he used a Mesa amp.......... My 2 cents.

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  16. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

Can't imagine why he bothered switching guitars then. When I first got a Strat 7 or 8 years ago after playing only an LP for eons, it took a while for me to accept the Strat as a Strat and not try to turn it into something else. When I play a show I bring both an LP and a Strat but, for rehearsals, I bring only one or the other to get just close enough.

MrRhoads likes this.
  17. LIBERTYMACHINE

LIBERTYMACHINE Banned

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing "Why switch when they sounded similiar", but I guess that since he had one of each He wanted to get use outta them both. He also didn't stay "brand correct" on the tunes......ya know, he didn't necessarily use the strat for Strat famed tunes but used the Gibby for majority of the gig. Since I don't know crap about Fenders, I 'll also assume that since he had an old Norlin, maybe his strat was an oldy?

18. tonyg73

tonyg73 Senior Member

Fulltone Fatboost works great on a Strat...still sounds like a Strat, just bigger. I've actually grown to love this pedal on all the time with my Strat.

19. Thundergod

Thundergod Senior Member

Problem with a boost or an eq pedal is they will probably change the signal a little when engaged. So the strat might end up not sounding as you want.

I'd try the amp's vol knob first... set it at 3-4 for the les paul and 5 for the strat, see how that works out.

Also... part of the strat's thing is they lack the body a LP has, so they should sound a little less big and powerful.

20. Thundergod

Thundergod Senior Member

Problem with a boost or an eq pedal is they will probably change the signal a little when engaged. So the strat might end up not sounding as you want.

I'd try the amp's vol knob first... set it at 3-4 for the les paul and 5 for the strat, see how that works out.

Also... part of the strat's thing is they lack the body a LP has, so they should sound a little less big and powerful.