Swapping PUP's

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by thefishingline, May 13, 2007.

1. thefishingline

thefishingline Senior Member

I got a pair fo kick ass 50's P90's I am going to put in one of my LP deluxes... This 73' GT I have has some of the best sounding mini's I've ever played especialy the neck PUP...pure CCR early days when he was playing his customs...

Has anyone here swapped just one pick up out and left the other...such as perhaps I should leave the neck PUP in and swap out the bridge PUP with the P90??

Or is it better or more balanced, swapping both at the same time?? Does it make a difference and can the PUP's of an LP be out of balance so to speak if I was to change one and not the other??

Thanks!!

2. Mystic

Mystic Member

Just use what sounds best to you. If it were me I'd change one and see if I liked the combination. You can always change it again.

3. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

personally, I LOVE the P90 neck tone much more than the bridge... but thats just a personal preference.

the only thing that matters with the pickups is the phasing. if the pickups are not in phase with each other, when you have them both on, instead of hearing the 2 pickups together, they'll cancel each other out, and you'll instead hear the sound that is normally cancelled out instead. Personally, I do'nt find this to be a pleasant sound, but a lot of players use it, Joe Perry, Jimmy Page ect... to me its more of a special use sound.

4. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Quite a lot of Deluxe players replace the neck pickup with a P90 and leave the bridge with the mini humbucker. They soon get another P90 for the bridge.

5. thefishingline

thefishingline Senior Member

Why is that??

6. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

I like having that really strong humbucker tone in the bridge... I write a lot of hard rock and it works for me... but I prefer to use my neck pickup while soloing and p90's just have that tone for me!

7. murkat

murkat V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

swap the bridge, leave the neck, try it. Tele in steriods Rich! ;)