Sustain bar

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FLICKOFLASH, Feb 21, 2015.

1. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

I am thinking of getting one made. Wondering if others maybe interested ? Thinking they could be put stealth under the maple cap with the use of longer screws.These came off of a Yamaha SG 2000 that I believe dates to 1977 - 1979 range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Baylin

Baylin Senior Member

Do they work or is it a gimmick? Just curious as I would have that vibration transmission in to the wood, would be better via smaller point such as standard bridge/tail studs.

3. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

Les Pauls weakness is the bridge post as the only go into the maple top. Using longer post improve tome immensely. Imagine a telephone pole with only 5' in the ground vs one with 10'. So basically these give you a huge solid ground to transfer tone and energy. Carlos Santana is where these originated.

1 person likes this.
  4. Aj2pointo

Aj2pointo Senior Member

Can you explain how it works exactly? I think I have an idea but not 100% sure. I am taking about how you mount/attach it not its function btw. I know I saw something along this line, except instead of the plate it was a solid bar of metal and it went under your tune o matic with no modification required. I can't remember where I saw it for sale though...

5. Mr Teeny

Mr Teeny Senior Member

The SG2000's have a thru neck rather than set neck so I guess the one length of wood and brass block to reduce any loss of energy to the body all help. The block just goes directly into a routed recess

[​IMG]

6. Douzydo

Douzydo Junior Member

Hey guys old post I know but I'm looking to make a sustain block and wondered if any one has the measurements of the Yamaha one ?
    Thanks in advance

7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

That looks to be the same dimension as a Nashville bridge.

But if you're making one yourself the absolute dimension is less important. You can make it any size/depth you choose.

Be aware that in adding this sort of thing that whilst it will change things.....there is no guarantee that you will like what it does. If I were to place generic odds then I'd say it would be a 50/50 proposition. Plenty have tried the mapleflame mod (longer abr posts) only to find it made things worse.