Supernova: My Take on a Tele

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ripthorn, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

Full disclosure, I like tele's just fine (Chris, sorry if that means we can't be friends :) ). However, I also love trying new stuff. I've looked at ergonomic guitars over the years and none of them seemed to really work for me. Then I saw a picture of an ergonomic guitar loosely based on a tele. I thought it was a cool idea, but there were a few things with the shape that I didn't like, so I set out to design my own. I chose the name Supernova because it fits with my cosmological naming scheme and because it is a very new take on a very old classic.

This will be a slow build. I've got several non-guitar projects I have going concurrently, but figured I would start this now. Basic specs:

- Alder body
    - Roasted maple neck
    - Roasted birdseye fretboard
    - 25.5" scale length
    - black hardware
    - Blonde/off white finish, black pickguard

Here is the design drawing. Yes I know the string ferrules don't agree with the bridge. I originally designed this as a multiscale but decided I would prototype it with a standard bridge so I don't have to make the bridge pieces. I started on templates yesterday. Should be a fun one once it's all done!

[​IMG]

archey, jkes01 and charisjapan like this.
  2. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Very cool, @Ripthorn!

Not a complaint, but I would prefer an ashtray bridge with compensated saddles ... just me. Unless, of course, you use the Hipshot multiscale bridge, hint-hint.

:cheers2:

3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

CJ, I have been thinking maybe one of the chopped tele bridges with compensated brass saddles, but there won't any brass anywhere else, so I worry that it might stick out like a sore thumb. It's still plenty early to change those decisions a number of times :)

4. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

It is cool. I think to my eye, the headstock would fit better if flipped., JMHO. :thumb:

5. Norton

Norton Senior Member

"Loosely based" on a tele is an understatement.

I'm sure the guitar will be boss hoss. The tele pick guard/control plate looks a bit out of place on a more progressive body design like yours. But Hey it's a little thing. Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing progress!

6. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

It's all still early on. I will be mocking up a lot to make sure that things work the way I want them to, so things like headstock orientation, pickguard, control layout, etc. will all be examined much more closely when I have something in the physical realm.

7. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

I'd avoid the Ashtray and leave it for cigarettes... :)

I'd dump the Tele control panel too or make it a raised plinth and do the controls from the back - the normal metal strip just looks cheap. The guitar looks great as is so why spoil it!

8. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

Appreciate the comments, guys. This is still in the formative phase, so I am gathering feedback to let it all stew in my mind for a while.

9. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

LOL. We're cool as far as I'm concerned. We would still be even if it was a straight-up Tele. If I disliked people just because they liked Telecasters I guess I wouldn't like very many people since I think I'm definitely in the minority in my dislike for them.

That said, calling this baby a Tele is like calling my Phoenix a Strat :)

Very cool design. Cant say I'm surprised though given your previous builds :)

10. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

Thanks, buddy! Yeah, well, this is my take on a tele much like the photon was my take on the SG (i.e., super thin with bevels). Also, you should see my take on the Jazzmaster, which is coming sometime soon. CAD drawings have been done on it for quite some time, I just haven't gotten to the point where I'm ready to start working on it. Its name? Continuum.

charisjapan and Skyjerk like this.
  11. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

Since I mentioned it, here's the first sneak peek at the Continuum as well. Like I said, this was my spin on the Jazzmaster, but it doesn't really resemble one all that much. I'm open to feedback on this one, too.

[​IMG]

12. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I like to body a lot (with the single exception of the straight vertical on the pickguard, which makes for a mismatch with the other contours). Like others, not a fan of the flipped headstock. And I hate to say it, but Supernova has already been used -- by Epi, for its Noel Gallagher (Oasis) model (Union Jack and blue).

13. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

I actually love that headstock :)

14. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

I like the Supernova shape. That's basically the bridge I've been putting on all my builds.