Sunrise Tea Burst - infos and pics needed

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Olli, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Olli

Olli Senior Member

Hello LP fanatics.

I´m interested in a finish that is called Sunrise Tea Burst but I cannot find many pictures of guitars with that finish. Is it like a Ice Tea with just more red or what does it look like exactly or how is it best described.
    It dies not seem to be a regular color for custom shop Reissues (but then again lemonburst is also considered a special color and they seem to be boosting guitars with this finish latly)

I hope yo can share some of your photos an knowledge and I´m thankful for every comment from all of you.

Thanks very much in advance.

2. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Olli,

Sunrise Tea Burst is supposedly the new name for Stanley Burst (which Gibson can no longer use). It is like a very light colored Iced Tea, but with less of a brownish look, and more of an orangish hue. Although from the Sunrise Tea Burst finishes I've seen, they have a little less orange tint than the old Stanley Bursts.

Here are some examples:

'07 R0 in Sunrise Tea Burst:

[​IMG]

And another view of that one:

[​IMG]

'04 R9 in Stanley Burst:

[​IMG]

And for comparison purposes, here's the Iced Tea template that Gibson used in their Custom Shop for a few years:

[​IMG]

Frank

3. Olli

Olli Senior Member

Thank you very much Frank - you´ve been really helpful.

In the pics I´ve seen from a dealer the guitar looked much more Orange than in your pics.
    I see If I can find them again.

Thanx again.

4. Kølabrennern

Kølabrennern Senior Member

Pinefd, why is it so that Gibson can no longer use the Stanley burst? I haven't done my history homework. :)

5. privateland

privateland Junior Member

Here's mine - a 2007 I got on eBay for 2000 GBP in August.
    Not so spectacular as some, but the frist time I played it live, I found myself more popular than I've ever been. Changed the ABR-1 to a Tonepros, and put the aged nickel pup covers on a pair of BKP Stormy Mondays - Tone Nirvana.

You'll notice I've pictured it on top of the bed. The missus sleeps on the couch these days :laugh2:

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      87.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      86.3 KB
      Views:
  6. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Sorry I didn't see this post before. I'm not sure of all the details surrounding this, but I believe Gibson stopped using this name because of a request (or demand) by Stanley and/or his family...just as the color "Brockburst" can no longer be used and has been replaced with "Bourbon Burst".

Olli, yes, many of the old Stanley bursts looked much more orange. Maybe something more like this (especially the one in front)?

[​IMG]

Frank

7. GibsonEx

GibsonEx Member

what a beautiful sight ... If somebody told me to pick one, it would take a looooong time :hmm:

8. Olli

Olli Senior Member

Frank:

Thanks again for this nice comparison. You´ve been really helpful. The one in the picture (in front) looks exactly like the one I saw on the dealers pictures.

9. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

My Stanley Burst Cloud 9 looks alot like the guitar laying down horizontally in the picture above. At times the orange was hideous but it gently fading and no longer burns your eyes. I know STB was supposed to replace 'stanley burst' but the 'stanley's' I have seen are more orange.

10. alexvdl

alexvdl Senior Member

Holy crap, the two in the middle have the same flame pattern... I'm sure it's from the same piece of maple. That's awesome dude!!!

11. goatman22

goatman22 Junior Member

Hello all. I am posting for the first time and just registered. I saw the request for Sunrise Teaburst photos. I was fortunate enough to recently acquire a Sunrise Teaburst '07 R9 intended for the Japanese market. This has been confirmed by Gibson. The 3D top is just amazing on this guitar and the colors, though an R9, are more reminiscent of a 1960 "tangerine burst" and appears less orange than some of the other photos I have seen posted of Sunrise Teabursts. The colors are very difficult to capture in photographs, but this photo provides a fairly accurate representation. The guitar is also Murphy aged.

Attached Files: