Suitable humbucker for an all mahogany Burny Les Paul.

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Shinji13, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Shinji13

Shinji13 Senior Member

As the title says, I've just taken delivery of a 1990s' Burny custom, no maple cap. It currently has Dimarzio in the bridge, sorry, don't know which model - Its a little hot, I have classic 57s in my Gibsons and would like some recommendations for similar pickups.
    Theres' a local luthier who sells Bare Knucle pickups, and would fit them for free, but I don't know anything about them. Obviously having no maple cap is going to make a difference, and I do like a bright sounding Les Paul.

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I think any of the vintage options will be great. The typical thought seems to be a Mule/Riff Raff combo. I think the Mule is the bridge option.

3. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

I think any vintage style HB will be good but for a mahogany body I'd install one with an Alnico 5 magnet.

I have an all mahogany Burny LP Custom and I swapped out the stock bridge pup for a spare MHD 5150 I had. A5 magnet & measured about 8.8k resistance.

I also swapped out the pots & caps as well for better quality pots and PIO caps and I would suggest the same with your Burny if you haven't already. The guitar sounds way better now and the new pots & caps also made the stock neck pup sound better.

4. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

Ask your luthier what he recommends
    Bareknuckle are superb

5. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

Riff raff in bridge

6. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I have a Burny VH pickup if interested..gold poles too, from a 87 Burny Custom.
    PM me if interested!