Suggestion: Renaming Other Single Cuts sub-forum?

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by RyanC, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanC

RyanC I'm Ryan... I'm an AVH Premium Member

After being told by a mod that my suggestion was 'boring', I wanted to post a thread in the proper place.

In my opinion, Other Single Cuts is largely an MIJ fan club. But when people post NGD's or threads looking for information about MIJ strats/335s/etc., those threads are moved to Other Guitars... where there is largely no MIJ contingent.

So... couldn't we consider renaming the Other Single Cuts forum to Other G***** & F***** Style Guitars (or similar)? It seems like it would help bolster and enrich the section, by keeping these threads in front of visitors who will both appreciate them and be able to provide helpful information when/if asked.

Thanks,
    RyanC

Matty likes this.
  2. mono

mono Senior Member

Agreed with Ryan.
    While there is a lot of replica talk, I know for a fact that most of the content is MIJ related and all sorts of guitar styles are discussed, posted for sale on the MIJ for sale thread etc etc

Could we please be less dogmatic in our moderation of this part of the forum, and slightly more open to want the users (ie, us) want to see?

3. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

Though I wasn't the mod involved, I'll do my best to answer both of the posts above this one.

First off, I can't tell what "G*****" or "F*****" refers to. I can only guess that it means "Gibson" and "Fender".

On that issue, a few years ago we were sent correspondence from Gibson's legal team, asking us to change the title of the sub-forum. They had a problem with the previous title. So when Gibson's legal team sends us a note, we're going to listen. All the wistful wishes in the world aren't going to pay MLP's legal bills, no matter how badly the folks who frequent that forum want it with the title they want.

As far as "dogmatic" moderation of that sub-forum (Dogmatic; expressing personal opinions or beliefs as if they are certainly correct and cannot be doubted), we've had a lot of trouble with people in there arguing points with moderators who are following the administrator's wishes.

It's not up for argue. That forum is but a sub-forum in MLP, not a separate forum with a separate set of rules. We get argued with far too much over little issues, bitterness, butthurt, nastiness directed squarely at us for doing our jobs, insults, jeers, smart-mouth, all sorts of crap. Frankly, we're sick of it. Most other forums, if you treat the moderators like the moderators have been treated in the MIJ and other single-cuts sub-forums, they'd bounce you out right on your ear. Try that with TDPRI or the LPF. We're damn tired of it. And we will act upon it.

We will take the time to explain things if you ask. I certainly will if you ask me. Simply PM me and I'll give the best and most thoughtful explanation I can muster. But I'd advise to come in with respect, not come in sideways with an attitude. We do what we do because the administrator asks us to. It's his show and his forum, and we couldn't change the name of a sub-forum if we tried. We don't have the access to the software.

4. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Member

I agree a more inclusive heading than "Other Single Cuts" might be useful.

Perhaps a subforum dedicated to "Replicas & Asian brands" would be better. I was going to suggest one for MIJ guitars, but that seemed a bit too narrow.

5. Matty

Matty Senior Member

If I may be so bold. The "Other Les Paul" section as it was previously known was the go-to place on the 'net for MIJ guitars. Like it or not if you were a fan of MIJ guitars then you had to join MLP to get the good oil. For years it was moderated in a manner that accepted that a large percentage of the members were only on MLP for this particular section.

In the past couple of years that situation has changed due largely to a different style of moderating. For what reason I have no idea. But it is a damn shame, quite a few very knowledgable members have disappeared or are becoming scarcely seen around here.

It used to be fun, the peeps that hung out here all knew the score. When we had the "Pub" thread and discussions about any MIJ guitar were welcomed, no matter how many "cuts" it had.

Rename it something, and put MIJ and Replica in the title. :thumbs:

6. RyanC

RyanC I'm Ryan... I'm an AVH Premium Member

Just to be clear, this wasn't written to the mods, it was written to Alex. I don't really care what you call the sub-forum, I'm sure there is a solution that doesn't split up threads that I'd guess the majority of OSC users feel belong in the same place, while not riling Gibson and Fender.

But alas, do with this suggestion what you will.

:io:

7. LtDave32

So, write a PM to Alex.

If it's in this section, we're bound to respond to it.

8. LtDave32

Every once in a while, Alex sees a situation unfolding that he doesn't like, or not in step with his vision of how he wants his site. So he asks us to perform specific tasks to clean it up or make other changes. Entirely his call.

Example: He asked the mod staff to get rid of all nude pics and hot bikini "cheesecake" pictures in the main forum, leaving all such material strictly in the afterhours section. The reason being; he was vying for a place with google apps and other such apps, and they took a frown on anything that wasn't "family safe" or happened to be NSFW.

So we made an announcement concerning that issue and gave the reason why.

It was largely ignored.

So we, under orders of the admin, began cleaning it up. Immediately we were given a hard time by some of the membership over deleting the posts, pictures, threads that were not in compliance with Alex's wishes.

Some people were downright nasty about it. Some earned bans (repeat offenders that were first politely warned) over it.

This is just one thing; NSFW or home pictures. There were many other issues. Many of them met with a lot of sour grapes and problems.

The site does not belong to the mod staff. We are here to keep the peace and carry out the policies of the owner. It is simply staggering how many people, people that pay nothing to be here and enjoy the site every single night, have a serious problem with that.

I try to be nice about it. I then I'm a bit more firm about it. Then I get nasty about it right back.

In short, one gets what one gives.

The abuse that we all (mod staff) took over the forced renaming of a sub forum was incredible. We had NO CHOICE. We were given a letter from Gibson's legal team requesting us to change it. We made this quite clear, in fact the sticky concerning that issue is still posted in the top area of that forum.

Still we heard the bitching, the grumbling, the insults, the jeering, being the butt of jokes, the disrespect.. -Constantly. So yeah, it gets boring and old.

Amazing how people didn't get that, and still don't get it to this day.

When it reaches that level, all I can say is "tough. Deal with it".

It is what it is, folks. Hope you enjoy the forum, and please respect one-another and the mod staff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.