Suggest pickups for my Bacchus BLP-STD

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by ii-V-I, Dec 29, 2017.

1. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

I just bought a used Bacchus from Japan. It won't arrive til mid-January, but I paid so much less for it than I was expecting to pay for a Les Paul that now I've got some $ leftover and I'm thinking of spending it on some nice pickups for this guitar. Even though I know I should first get the guitar and play it a bit and go from there, I'd really just like to go ahead and order pickups so that they'll arrive around the time the guitar does. I hate waiting, and, plus, I'm off work right now and have time to dork around on the internet researching pickups.

I want to go for the beano sound. I'm already close to that sound with my current gear. I've got a 1960 Gibson GA-6 Lancer amp, which is a rude, raunchy little combo in the ballpark of a tweed deluxe or an 18watt marshall. I put a greenback in it, which makes it break up earlier and gives it an even meatier, even more mids-focused sound. And I've got a great rangemaster that was built around the vintage-accurate, rare, and sought-after germanium transistor used in the originals. Totally nerdy, I know. But the thing sounds great. Hard to argue with that.

So, pickups. Obviously, the Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday set caught my attention. Seems like a natural choice. But I don't want to spend more than necessary, just because I could. I also have some other gear that I'm currently lusting after, including an expensive keyboard for my home recording rig. So I am looking around at other cheaper options. The Vineham Whisky Burner set caught my attention. Finally, I've got a Korean-made version of the Duncan 59 neck pickup laying around. I was thinking of buying a Dean Nostalgia bridge pickup and trying out that combo. That'd be a super cheap way to go. What do you guys think? Got any suggestions for me? Thanks

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

I still say, wait. The guitar might be darker or brighter than you think it will be, and that would change the pickups that you might want in there...you'd then have to wait, anyway.

ii-V-I likes this.
  3. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

yeah, you're right.

4. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

First rule.

Pictures.

5. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

Well, I don't have the guitar yet. But here's a shot I stole from the listing.

6. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old school Premium Member

I would wait till I have the guitar, and in my part of the world the customs could take some good money off my hands.
    Congratulations with a great and very nice guitar :)

ii-V-I likes this.
  7. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

yeah, i probably shouldn't count my chickens before they've hatched...

JohnnyN likes this.
  8. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

I say wait too.

9. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

Jumped the shark and bought some byo blizzard of 59 pickups. $79 for chrome covered, and supposedly accurate in all the ways that you can hear, paf type pickups. Had to try them.

10. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

Bacchus makes some models that cost under $150, and others that cost over $2,000, so it's hard to tell what you're going to get. The #1 killer with covered humbuckers made in the East is the use of brass covers, which greatly attenuate high end response. Without testing equipment, the only way you can really tell if you got brass covers is to sand away some of the chrome, below the mounting ring or underneath, and see if the metal is silver or yellow. I'd presume the pots are 500k, but you'd want to check that too, to make sure your tone doesn't get screwed by low value pots.

Suppose you like the Bacchus pickups and decide not to change them, the BYO set is good to have on hand. A single Seymour Duncan '59 goes for $100, this disparity in price is crazy. Maybe it turns out the Bacchus pickups are not great pickups... you can be sure the BYO's are great pickups.

I'd be curious to know the DC resistance of the Bacchus pickups, as well as pics, if you happen to open it up and take a look.

ii-V-I likes this.
  11. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

Sure, I'll check the dc resistance on the bacchus pickups. I'm not sure what comes stock in the classic series guitars, or if the pickups I get will be stock. But I'll check the covers. It's got cts 500k pots and paper in oil caps already in it. Not sure if those are stock either.