Stuck on the old server.

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by onedaycloser, Jan 17, 2010.

1. onedaycloser

onedaycloser Senior Member

Can anyone help me get over to the new site? I can see there is a difference between the site on my PC versus what is on my phone.

There's about 20 people or so still stuck over there including myself and River.

This isn't a joke.

2. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

I've been trying to help River get in. Nothing works.

3. BMS

BMS Senior Member

That sucks. :(

4. onedaycloser

Anyone? A mod, Alex? This is pretty shitty.

5. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

I emailed Alex

6. onedaycloser

Thanks, we've been trying EVERYTHING over there and nothing helps. Been at or 4-5 hrs now.

7. mobprop667

mobprop667 V.I.P. Member

i got over to the new server. dont know how, but after many hours, here i am.

8. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

What's the difference? Nothing looks different on mine.

9. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Are you crazy mayn? Dig that new Server smell! :dude:

10. mobprop667

mobprop667 V.I.P. Member

there are a lot less users on it, and no new posts other than what the few users that are on there are posting, including any threads that you may start. they end up on the new server and you cant see them.

11. mobprop667

mobprop667 V.I.P. Member

this server has SlashRAM

12. dubyatf

dubyatf Senior Member

You clicked your heals - didn't you? :laugh2:

13. mobprop667

mobprop667 V.I.P. Member

everytime i did that i ended up at the wizard of ozforum.

14. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Cleared your cache? Reset your browser? Deleted cookies and temporary Internet files?

If none of that works then the server has become self-aware and SkyNet is playing a horrible joke on you.

15. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

Changes to domain name information in registry-controlled DNS zones are generally not instantaneous.

Once you make changes to your domain with the registrar you purchased your domain from, the changes will first have to be uploaded to the registry, which will then update its DNS servers with the new information. ISPs DNS resolvers can then pick up this information through a sequence of stages, a simplified version of which is as follows:

the DNS resolver queries the DNS root servers for the registry's DNS server information
    it then queries the registrar's DNS servers for the domain's own DNS server information
    finally, it queries the domain's own DNS servers (which are typically run either by or on behalf of the domain's owners, often by the domain registrar that issued domain) for the domain's detailed DNS information
    In practice, this process may involve several extra more cascades of DNS lookups than are described here, but the effect is ultimately roughly the same as the above.

Once an ISP's DNS resolvers have obtained your DNS record information, they then cache it for a period which may vary from ISP to ISP. This time is generally controlled by the TTL field of each DNS record, but some ISPs may hold the data for a longer or shorter period, depending on the particular software and settings they are using on their DNS resolvers.

As a result, it may take several days for changes to a domain's DNS records to propagate throughout the Internet; firstly the information must propagate from your registrar to the registry, secondly the registry must update its own DNS servers, and thirdly the ISPs recursive resolvers must forget their cached copies of any previous settings.

[edit] Domain propagation and domain expiry
    When a domain name expires, the registrar, who still has control over the domain's DNS information via the registry, might take it for domain parking, which results in web requests seeing a different page altogather as its DNS records are now changed, typically to point to a webserver controlled by the registry or a domain parking aggregator. The new name server information is then cached with the querying DNS resolver for the standard time to live. Even after renewing the domain name and changing the name server to the original state, it will not resolve to the original website since it takes time for the cache memory to clear.

In this situation, renewal sometimes can be confirmed by visiting the website through a proxy site

16. dubyatf

dubyatf Senior Member

One can only imagine the horrors happening to those left behind on the 'I Am Legend' server!

17. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Weeping, gnashing of teeth... and probably the distinct smell of brimstone and flaming jheri-curl. :Ohno:

18. dubyatf

dubyatf Senior Member

Jheri-Curl! Oh the humanity! :laugh2:

19. mobprop667

mobprop667 V.I.P. Member

i actually killed and ate one of the users logged on as "guest" and declared myself as emporer of the old MLP.

20. dubyatf

dubyatf Senior Member

That's awesome! :thumb: That's *the* only way to start an empire. Now, you need a ship and a flag - and go get some more servers!! :laugh2: