Strings over tailpiece or through?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Hawkeye, May 9, 2007.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member

Any opinions or facts regarding the difference between stringing a Paul through the front and over the tailpiece, or straight through the back of the tailpiece?

2. dogbone94

dogbone94 Senior Member

over the top= sustain

3. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

over the top=lower string tension

4. dogbone94

dogbone94 Senior Member

goes to show you that you can't believe everything you hear.....:wtf:

5. GuitarGal

GuitarGal Senior Member

:wave: Hawkeye~

Welcome here~

6. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Senior Member

Top-wrapping gives you a slinkier feel, usually, because the angle of the strings over the bridge is shallower.

As to whether or not there's any audible difference, well, maybe Eric Johnson can tell. I've tried both and couldn't hear a difference.

I think mostly it's just personal preference. I like the way strings-through looks and feels, so it's strings-through for me.

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member

thanks a bunch guys (and guitargal). I just got my Epi standard a few months ago, and I've been experimenting with some of the ways it can possibly sound. It's rather unique anyway as the guy that sold it to me put a Seymour Parallel Axis on it, and I've since put flatwounds on it. Maybe with the flats, topwrapping might ease the tension on them...Thanks again.

8. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

I've found I prefer top-wrapping. I started doing it because the A-string on my Special was riding on the back of the tune-o-matic and would break. I found the top-wrap suggestion in Dan Erlewine's old Guitar Player column, and I haven't looked back. I've never broke a string on that guitar since.
    He says the lower break angle puts much less stress on the bridge, helping to prevent collapse, especially vintage ones. Personally, I just like the feel of it, and besides, if it's good enough for Billy Gibbons, it's good enough for me.

9. Rock Johnson

Exactly, Captain!

All that Erlewine says about topwrapping is true. Now... whether that translates to an audible difference is a completely different question.

Every guitar - and every player - is different. It's all about finding what works on that guitar for that player.

Vive le difference!

10. captain tightpants

Absolutley, Rock. You hear so many players that think their way is the only way, and it's so not true. I happen to love the Top-wrap, others don't.

I think you are right about the tone difference, tho. I've A/B'd a couple of different guitars with top and thru the stopbar, I can't really tell the difference. Sure do love that slinky feel, tho!!

11. Rock Johnson

I've experimented with three main things - topwrap with tailpiece screwed all the way down, strings-thru with TP all the way down, and strings-thru with TP up off the body.

Honestly, I can't *hear* a difference in any of the three. So, for me, it came down to what looked and felt good. I spent about a year constantly tweaking my LP setup, experimenting with different string gauges, different action heights, neck relief, etc. Finally, I settled on 11-48 Power Slinkys (or 11-50 webstrings, either one), strings through the tailpiece with the tailpiece off the body. I have the treble side of the TP up a bit higher than the bass side, to give the plain strings a bit slinkier feel than the wound strings. I feel like I get the best possible setup for me, from that guitar out of the process.

12. captain tightpants

I like power slinkies, too, but they are hard to get around here. I've been using D'addario 10's and 11 latley cuz everybody has 'em here and I've found I really like them. I do a lot of the same things you do with a guitar. I'll get an idea in my head and start tweaking on guitars I've had for twenty years, just to get a little bit more out of them. I usally migrate back in the vicinity of the same setups I've always used tho.

13. Rock Johnson

14. captain tightpants

Thanks, RJ, I'll check that out!!

15. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

I find I get less sustain when I go over the top, but the strings feel better to me... much easier to bend without raising the action.

Although, compared to some of you guys *in reading this thread and others* I use spider webs compared to the telephone cables some of you guys play!

I used to only play 8's... and still load my Strats with 8's. but since getting into harder rock, and doing a bit of alternate tunings, I play 9-46's... and sometimes they feel too thick for me!

16. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Oh the 9-46 used to be Hybrid Slinky's... but since moving to Alberta, I've had to give up on the Slinky's... I'm not sure what sort of steel the core is, or even what they are wrapped with exactly, but they NEVER seem to last in this climate. I put them on, and later that day they feel old already.

I play D'Addario's now... Swedish steel cores, and I can get about a week out of a set before they lose their luster. I don't care for the feel of them as much as the Slinky's, but they are almost 2 dollars cheaper per pack and air tight sealed and just plain last longer *in Alberta anyway... I have no idea why! I swore by them when I lived on the Coast...*

17. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

As someone who's from Alberta ( Edmonton ) I can see your point.
    I live in the UK now and the only strings I can recommend for tone and longevity are Newtone Nickel Masters.

Newtone Strings: Electric Guitar Strings