String through VS. Top load telecasters.

Discussion in 'Fender' started by zowenso, Mar 5, 2018.

1. zowenso

zowenso Member

Ive been wanting to replace the current hardware on my 1996 Mexican tele from chrome to nickel. I replaced the stock top load bridge about 12 years ago and had the back drilled and it’s now string through. I’m having a really hard time figureing out what bridges will fit and match the string holes in my guitar. I have a modern style bridge, but wanted to go vintage style. So my question is, if i can’t find a bridge that matches the strings holes and I went back to a top load bridge, is the sound that much different than string through? Thanks.

2. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

I have a Glendale bridge that can be strung either way, and it's noticeably twangier when top-loaded.

20170214_105749.jpg

Crotch likes this.
  3. zowenso

zowenso Member

Hmm, ok that’s good to know. That will be a noticeably different sound than I’m used to then. I don’t think I’ll be able to find a vintage style bridge that matches up for me, so sounds like my options are either abort the string through commit to twangy and do a top loader or keep what I have. Thanks.

4. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

I have no idea what this implies but since it's a MIM and you're modding it anyway,
    if you have to, plug the current holes and drill new ones for a
    Vintage Reissue type bridge with three brass saddles.

Rock will ensue.
    :D

5. zowenso

zowenso Member

Yeah that’s an option I didn’t think of. Thanks.

6. JuSteve

JuSteve Member

The "String Through" Mexican Tele's have identical drill holes for standard or Vintage style bridge. I honestly have never had any hands on, as to top loaders.

You may have one of the odd ball models that have a US, Corona body & neck. I have a 1995 Strat with Corona woods & Mexican/Asia hardware, and it's labeled MIM.

(& I hate to say....."It still in the plastic.")

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  7. zowenso

zowenso Member

I actually had it drilled for a string through bridge. It came as a top loader, so I’m Not sure the holes would match up with other bridges.

8. bum

bum Senior Member

I have a babicz full contact telecaster bridge and it does both top loading and through body and also has both 3 and 4 screw holes on it so it fits anything, it's also one of the best engineered bits of kit I have ever bought, I highly recommend them!

http://www.fullcontacthardware.com/fch-tele-bridge

123180_3600x2698_2500.jpg

The way they works brilliant, you have no little allen key operated screws, they work on a cam system, you adjust the cam and as it turns it revolves, raising the string. Very impressed with mine :)

DarrellV likes this.