String Quartet and Vocal Session

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Freddy G, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I've been working with a young lady, producing her album. So far we have 10 original songs in the can. I floated a suggestion that maybe we should consider a cover and without hesitation she said "Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell.
    So I had my friend the Maestro at the theatre compose a score for string quartet. The acoustic guitar was laid down first by the singer (a guitar I built) and then the strings and vocal went down at the same time. I wanted her to sing live with the strings just to capture a vibe...it was the first time we heard the strings and there was something really cool about tracking the vocal with that vibe.
    Anyway, I got a really nice take....we did 7 takes in total. There are just a few lines here and there that will be replaced with overdub but the majority of it will be this vocal take. Just look at the earnest joy and emotion in her face as she's tracking. Priceless.

We wanted to film the session just for posterity. The problem was that the string players did not want to be filmed....so I just turned the camera and pointed it at the singer in the iso booth. But there were reflections off the glass that showed the players and the Maestro and even me. It's a lo-fi vid, but I'm glad it got captured just as a keepsake of a special moment.

Rough mix, unedited tracks.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    AmpedUp, LPSGME, Nard and 1 other person like this.
  2. BluesRock

BluesRock Senior Member

She's got a beautiful voice! So much so that I forgot to pay attention to the music behind her but I guess that could mean it was exactly as it should be. Nice job!

Freddy G likes this.
  3. Nard

Nard Senior Member

She sounds great. Is that an Irish lilt to her voice?

Freddy G likes this.
  4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I'm happy to hear it. It's hard to stay objective when you work closely with someone for a while. I always pause and think to myself..."is she sounding good?" ...but then I just trust my gut if it tells me she's good. Irish lilt? No...she's Canadian. We avoid lyrics such as "I've been oot and aboot" ;)

DarrellV and Nard like this.
  5. Nard

Nard Senior Member

Forgot to add, the strings and production sounded really nice. Great job Freddy.

LPSGME and Freddy G like this.