String Butler on a Gibson Les Paul?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Pwrmac7600, Oct 4, 2017.

1. lung plunger

lung plunger Senior Member

Check out those string butler shirts :squint:

Pekkerwood likes this.
  2. Malikon

Malikon Best Match! Are You Ready? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

As long as the nut is cut properly with the right fall away and doesn't bind, yup.

Pekkerwood and northernguitarguy like this.
  3. kherman

kherman Senior Member

Kiesel/Carvin, as well.

[​IMG]

Pekkerwood and Who like this.
  4. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

I think I'll mount one (with screws) to the headstock of my pre-war Martin D45. :lol:

C_Becker, Pekkerwood and redjunior like this.
  5. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

There's two things to consider about those -

First, as many here have already mentioned, a properly cut, filed, polished nut will not require such a device, as the nut slots guide the strings to where they need to go.

Second, putting a device like that on a guitar that HAS a proper nut can cause some problems as NOW you are dragging the strings against the sides of the nut slots in a direction that they were not filed to guide the strings in. A proper nut doesn't have slots that are just perfectly straight back even slots. They are shaped specifically to the strings/guitar to provide a correct break point on the fretboard side and a smooth guide back from it towards the tuning machines. This "Butler" can create string bind, in that case, by changing the geometry of the "string and nut system."

6. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

Gibson should buy the company and make it an option on all their guitars.

7. MikeyTheCat

Torture test.

8. Rowdymoon

Rowdymoon Senior Member

.................realizing your're turning 53 this year and still don't need vi-agra ( banned word apparently)............priceless!!!!!!...now back to our original topic!

Pekkerwood and Who like this.
  9. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

I found this post on another forum. Poster (4Real, in a post from 2010) is using a Kahler tremolo. http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/3208/kahler-locking-tremolo

I assume 4Real could make a case that String Butler used his idea!

Reposting here, for posterity....

================================

Almost finished my LP Kahler guitar...you can see one end in the post above...here's what I've done with the other end...possibly the most important part of staying in tune with any trem...

"The Problem"...

[​IMG]

The Gibson style head pulls back at a fair angle (also a weak spot) and the strings also pull quite a bit to either side with the inner strings.

"The Solution"...

[​IMG]

Firstly, Sperzel locking tuners in satin chrome (matches the knobs)

A big truss rod cover made from 3mm aluminium and coated in some thin tortoiseshell (the tortoise and satin chrome is a bit of theme on this guitar)

[​IMG]

I built rollers out of the ball ends of some old strings and the shafts of some rivets...these will press fit into the holes...potentially the plate adds mass (and so sustain, etc), supports the nut and adds strength to the thinnest part of the neck.

[​IMG]

Here are the parts and roughed out plate...

Anyway...the nut is a new white Tusq XL and is teflon impregnated. The tuning has been fairly stable (especially considering the nut is still not glued in while I'm tinkering with the setup and action) but certainly not 'good enough' and no comparison to my LSR tele...however, this 'solution' is a significant improvement.

So...the basic idea is that these very smooth running rollers take off the side pressure from the nut meaning that it only needs to deal with the straight pull...much like a fender, the lean back eliminates any need for 'trees' of course, but do put on a little more 'pressure' on the nut...

Mostly though, I like to add somthing unique to my projects and find some solutions...particularly if they look good and in this case I think it also adds a little bit of "bling" to another wise 'plain jane' head. The 'decoration' is a thin stainless steel bit of jewelry that I found and filed off the chain attachment and stuck on with double sided tape. A guitar just looks odd when the head is "blank"

This "solution" may also be helpful even if a trem is not used on any guitar that has side pressure on the nut slots, this is the prime place that 'hangups' occur when tuning or even bending strings.
    ============================

C_Becker likes this.
  10. JTM45

JTM45 Premium Member

Kind of a strange idea but if it works for someone then tone is in the ear of the listener.

I'd think that some of the side tension on the nut contributes to the tone or sustain of the guitar but I'll defer to those that know about that kind of stuff, I surely don't

11. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Thats why i prefer Motts applesauce to all the others.
    It just looks more tasty..

12. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

I bought my 78 LPC in 90 or so. Once I stretch in the strings, it stsys in tune until the temperature changes. When I buy a guitar, I set it up immediately, which almost always requires lowering nut slots for intonation, so I angle, relieve, and polish them at this point. All of my guitars stay in tune until affected by outside sources, with the exception of those with non locking tremolo systems.

What was the problem again?

northernguitarguy likes this.
  13. MikeyTheCat

Teisco had 2+4 and 4+2 back in the 60's and I'd bet the design pre-dates that.

[​IMG]

Who likes this.
  14. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Thats what I've been asking myself, the classic Martin headstock isn't that different from the Gibson one. So why don't you hear much of Martins with tuning problems ? Better cut nuts from the factory or is there something else I'm missing ?

[​IMG]

northernguitarguy likes this.
  15. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

:dunno:

C_Becker likes this.