Strat Switch

Discussion in 'Fender' started by algs911, Feb 10, 2018.

1. algs911

algs911 Senior Member

Looking for a solution here...

I'm used to my Les Paul and my Tele. I like my highly modified MIM Strat and have replaced everything on it (PUPs, electronics, etc.) over the last eight years or so. I still have one problem...

I hit the selector switch if I'm not careful with my strumming. It switches from the neck to the bridge PUP all of the sudden. I get a bit carried away with my strumming, sure, but that's just me.

Are there any alternate solutions out there for this? Maybe a different switch type? I don't change PUPs during songs, FYI, so that's not an issue. I'm actually thinking of cutting the lever down to practically nothing.

At this point I'm afraid to play the guitar anywhere other than in my music room, by myself!

Thanks!

Al

2. tzd

tzd Senior Member

DarrellV likes this.
  3. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Premium Member

He's got a good point above, or you could take your standard pick guard and put a rotary selector in place of one of the knobs.

This could also give you options for tons more selections as rotary selectors can have multiple levels of contacts and more than 5 positions.
    [​IMG]
    No way of turning that while your strumming with reckless abandon!

Just kidding, but you get the idea! LOL!!!

[​IMG]

tzd likes this.
  4. algs911

algs911 Senior Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I really like the rotary knob solution. Minimally invasive and pretty easy to do. Ideally the multi-switch solution looks best, but I'm not sure I'm willing to put that much time/effort in to it.

Thanks!

Alan

5. rtTX

rtTX Member

https://www.premierguitar.com/artic...-for-your-strat-tele-les-paul-and-super-strat

First page of linked article mentions the Elite Strat, made in 83 & 84, that utilized 3 SPDT switches in lieu of Fender’s ubiquitous 5-way pup selector (and how these 3 SPDT switches can be used in a 5 or 7 tone Strat wiring scheme).

For someone more accustomed to the LP’s traditional layout (and Tele’s), you might find it more intuitive and less prone to accidental pickup selection changes.

6. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

Strum closer to the neck..

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

When playing rock, the edge of my palm stays anchored to the bridge to facilitate palm-muting. Because of that, I don't slap the switch around at all.

I love the closeness of control that a Strat offers. It keeps my fingers near the strings where they belong. I'm happy to make the tradeoff by using a little more discipline while playing.