Strat Relic

Discussion in 'Fender' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Apr 8, 2017.

1. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

Do you guys like em? I like them only if it's an extremely light relic. A little bit of faded paint but no checking or blemishes into the wood. I've been trying to find a good CS Strat for months but every one I come across is a heavy relic. Meh.

2. Falconbill

Falconbill Premium Member

I do own a Cunetto relic in Daphne blue with a rosewood board that I bought new in '97. It's lightly relic'd and the paint was nicely faded. Seems like most of what they turn out lately are heavy relics. Good luck with your search.

3. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

You can't purchase Mojo pre-installed. Relic it by playing it ...

4. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

The Cunetto relics were tastefully done and looked very convincing. I have one of the very first Cunettos that was specially ordered to be only lightly reliced. According to Vince Cunetto, Fender sent a few orders for light relics as artist requests and when they saw how they came out, they ordered more. For some reason, Fender moved away from the light relics when they brought the process in house. Eventually they reinstated it with the Closet Classics, that were sold as vintage guitars that were lightly played and kept under a bed for many years. I haven't kept up with Fender over the past decade so I don't know what they do anymore.

Here is my Cunetto:

[​IMG]

5. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

What if it's a previously owned guitar, but new to you, and it has player wear? Is that okay? (honest question) Is your response to that guitar, "No thanks. I've not earned the wear on that guitar." Or is that perspective only reserved for new relics?

I see your point about 'mojo'. But at some point, for me, it's about cosmetics. I don't really see it any different than what color, burst, quilt, or flame someone prefers.

There are a lot of poorly done relics though. Band saws should never be used in the process...

Do what gets you there.

:thumb:

6. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Senior Member

"Is that okay?"

Imho.... it`s all good. ;p

7. BigDipper15

BigDipper15 Henry Hater Premium Member

The funniest thing about people who don't like relics is that they are going to "play the crap" out of their poly guitar that will never relic.

8. doitforvangogh

doitforvangogh Senior Member

I have a Cunetto, too and it's by far as close to the feel of an early 60s strat that I've found. I don't care for the 'disc sander' relics that are being pumped out now.

9. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

MOJO is completely overrated. I've never heard it play anything. Not have I played better or worse with it.

10. Falconbill

Falconbill Premium Member

That's where the mojo belt sander comes in handy. :laugh2:

11. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Your fine Strat is an example of what an old and cared for Strat SHOULD look like IMSHO.:D

12. GearHo

GearHo Premium Member

:thumb::thumb:

I have a guitar from 1957 that got its mojo from someone else, so I have the mojo, just not my mojo. Its Jo jo's mojo, got it from a guy named Joe.

So when people asked if I "played the crap out of it" to get it like that, I say of course.... then I play my custom shop relic strat, and feel like a poser.:hmm:

13. GearHo

GearHo Premium Member

I reserve the right to re-use this line in future threads.

14. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

I like guitars that look brand spanky new. Sadly, only a couple of mine are even close to that. If you play them, it shows.

15. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

I appreciate that. Unfortunately the only wear I myself have put into it is a refret! :D

Kris Ford likes this.
  16. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Oh yeah? Check out how I managed to relic my 14 year old Strat by playing it! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

[​IMG]

Attached Files: