Strat Mods to Improve Primary Tone

Discussion in 'Fender' started by FLICKOFLASH, Apr 5, 2009.

1. antz

antz Senior Member

i sanded the nasty thick poly off my strat after reading this thread for the following reasons:

1. i was bored that evening
    2. i dont like poly
    3. the guitar was already in bits and i was staring at the cavity
    4. the dremel was already set up to go from a previous job that day
    5. iw as feelign destructive
    6. i called major BS on this idea

and all it succeeded in doing is giving me poly coated boogers and making no difference to tone what so ever.

job done. its BS. :)

Kris Ford likes this.
  2. Leendrix

Leendrix The Cheeky One V.I.P. Member

I can't comment on if this is true or not. I believe so. When I got my (only ever) strat, it didn't come with a back cover. I didn't want it, never got it.

It makes more sense to lose it anyway. It improves your tone, and if you need to make an adjustment, you don't need to take it off for a tiny change.

79standard likes this.
  3. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I finally waded through this whole thread and have come to a decision. My Strat is staying as is. It all sounds too much like "magical thinking" with a bit of hoodoo thrown in. Besides, i don't need to have poly coated boogers. If I want to change my tone, I'll just fiddle with the volume and tone controls Like I always have.

D-POLAND, Electroman67 and RichBrew like this.
  4. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

DeTemple Titanium Trem Blocks

5. NoStatic

NoStatic Banned

I agree that trem blocks make a difference on Strats, and that changing the pot iron junk and half sized blocks found in many Strats full sized vintage blocks is worth doing. I cant help feeling that titanium is fiddling in the margins, but I'll take your word for it. At $225, theyre all yours. There is an elf in the UK who mills solid steel blocks to order for about $50. I must ask hm what he can do with fossilized mastedon ivory.

6. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I sanded the paint off the neck pocket of my Strat and that made a sonic difference. I could feel a difference too in acoustic vibration.

It makes sense to me - the paint was only around the edges of the pocket so it was acting like a gasket and isolating the wood of the neck heal from the wood of the guitar body. Take it away - good wood to wood contact with tight screws. Much better transfer of vibrations. No voodoo or mind tricks with that.

Now the control cavity? I don't feel the need to even try.

79standard and FLICKOFLASH like this.
  7. FLICKOFLASH

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHm7athmieM]YouTube - Tim Lerch - Demos the Resonari Tone Block[/ame]

http://www.resonari.com/

8. FLICKOFLASH

Base Plate for single coil Strat Bridge Pickups boosts the lows and the mid range frequencies giving a fatter wider sound

[​IMG]

9. cooljuk

I've been thinking about giving these a try. What's the tradeoff though? Compression? Output?

10. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I have not tested these things but I will give an "educated guess". It is going to have a tiny bit of a shielding effect, and there will be a small distributed capacitance... not a whole lot different from the difference between a humbucker with and without a cover. So, no it will not boost anything. It is not an active circuit and can not amplify. What it may do is very very slightly attenuate or "roll off" the highest frequencies. So, it may sound a little warmer and darker and a little less bright, with a bit more "middle".

Whether it sounds better or not, is entirely a matter of personal taste.

That is JUST a guess. Take it for what it is.

11. FLICKOFLASH

12. FLICKOFLASH

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX2INeaiKD4&feature=related]YouTube - Strat Spring Silencing Trick[/ame]

13. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Senior Member

Yeah, you can use rubber tubing or foam.

But I like the springy sound of a Strat and wouldn't dream of quieting them. Too much fun to bang on the guitar into an overdriven amp and listen to the springs take off into feedback.

SteveGangi and 79standard like this.
  14. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

hahah exactly!!!

SteveGangi and 79standard like this.
  15. worn

worn Senior Member

No, sorry I don't agree that a 2 point trem will give better tone over a vintage type trem. The vintage trem has more contact with the wood helping to transfer vibration.

79standard likes this.
  16. worn

worn Senior Member

I think it might give the pickup more of a Tele sound, a bit more bite, maybe something like the Seymour Duncan Twang Banger

17. FLICKOFLASH

18. FLICKOFLASH

Sanded under the guard and tremolo plus sanded the neck and pocket to bare wood. I say it Does make the guitar resonate and alive big time :D

cooljuk likes this.
  19. cooljuk

Flick,

Did you sand it all at once or did you do the different areas separately and test between to see what yielded the most difference? Pain in the ass the second way, I know. ;)
    I already did the neck pocket and I let my term float a little. That's why I'm curious if the rest matters.

Thanks!

20. FLICKOFLASH

I think the neck matters the most then the under tremolo.The under the guard adds some openess from being sealed in a poly glass coat.So you lose that high in brittleness if you know what I mean.

I took a razor pen to cut around the guard and tremolo this not only for a guide but save from any chipping plus taped all the outside edges & stayed a lil back..I used a dremel tool with a depth gaurd to remove most poly but found it easy to score the finish in every direct with razor then use a sharp chisel & lightly tap the finish off. Then touch up with sand paper. I was able to do it neatly enough for my metal pickguard shield to sit recessed in contact with bare wood & the same for the trembase.In appearnce you would never know.My guitar when you strum the open strings ring for nearly 30 seconds now.Whether that is a approvement I am not sure seems to be.I have a few other tricks to work on as well