Strat Mods to Improve Primary Tone

Discussion in 'Fender' started by FLICKOFLASH, Apr 5, 2009.

1. to285

to285 Member

some mods (most already said) that i think should be done to a guitar:

remove tremolo cover
    remove paint from all cavities(and apparently the trem block[?])
    graph tech black tusq nut or LSR roller nut
    Fender/ Schaller locking tuners
    graph tech string saver classic saddles
    titanium tremolo block
    2 point tremolo
    all 5 tremolo springs
    tremol-no
    add string trees
    possible pickup shielding(does anyone know if this affects tone?)
    wiring the tone control for bridge pickups
    lowering the pickups just shy of recommended height
    fender 69 pickups(not primary tone, but still awesome pickups

all those seem like brilliant ideas to me

2. overdriver

overdriver Banned

:laugh2:

Yes it does affect the tone.:)

3. to285

to285 Member

how so?:hmm:

4. overdriver

overdriver Banned

Some find the tiny bit of xtra capacitance induced into the circuit , as a result of shielding the cav. and or a copper shield around the pickups. Tends to reduce the higher frequencies of the Fender single coils. I find this to be true but I do enjoy this tonal difference. IMO not a great deal of high end and sparkle is lost, I usaually run my guitars with Volume at 6-8 and tone controls some what backed off & crank up the controls for solos.
    A lot of purist strat guys will not shield their guitars at all. even the ones with 60'S org. Strats that are shielded LOL

5. to285

to285 Member

sounds almost like an improvement to me

6. overdriver

overdriver Banned

Like I say to some it is. Some think it degradeds the sounds.

7. to285

to285 Member

well it's a quieter guitar. i see no flaw. besides any tone trouble can be fixed with a boss compression sustainer and a dunlop EQ

8. overdriver

overdriver Banned

Ya you and me and alot of guys. But cork sniffers won't have it.:thumb::cool:

9. to285

to285 Member

and purists

10. monroe

monroe Senior Member

Mainly because I think the whole delta tone concept is a bad idea, and because I actually use the tone control on my bridge pickup. Bypassing the tone circuit (which is what the delta tone set on 10 does) makes the bridge pickup virtually useless. Also, having the middle and bridge pickups tied to the same tone control is a PITA when using positions 2 and 4. I suppose thousands of "reg. people" are not aware that their American Strat could sound a lot better than is does.

11. overdriver

overdriver Banned

nonsense most reg. people don't give a shit about ,which SOMEBODY does or doesn't do what to their guitar. They just play em and a stock AM standard sounds great as is.

Kris Ford likes this.
  12. Frails

Frails Senior Member

Pos's 2 and 4 are my favorite tones in a Strat actually.

13. overdriver

overdriver Banned

5 and 3 here

14. monroe

monroe Senior Member

Then how do you explain all the members, posts, threads, etc here with questions about how to get better tone out of their instruments- Strats or otherwise?

Granted most beginners and many intermediate players that are likely to be plugging into a multi-effects box or a SS amp with built-in goodies and jamming in their bedroom may not be in a position to appreciate the difference yet... and many younger players haven't had an opportunity to spend any time on a real vintage Strat, but I can assure you Mr. Overdrive that in many serious player's opinions, the delta tone scheme is not an improvement over a traditionally wired Strat.

If you're saying you've tried it both ways and one works better for you, that's fine. If you're just being contradictory, that's not helping anyone. The fact remains that many Strat players "upgrade" the delta tone thingy and go with a more traditional setup.

15. overdriver

overdriver Banned

^ more nonsense IMO
    Man do you get worked up over nothing, did you bother to read my first post on this thread.
    The players that contribute to forums such as this, as in, numbers of players on them, compared to the #s in the world is quite low.
    Most players , home , semi pro & pro do not trouble themselves with changing anything on their guitars. Because they are happy with the way they work and or, they went through the trouble to pick one that worked right for them from the get go.

I have been a trad strat guy since 1972 and have had several TBX and Detla AM standards and series guitars . I have 3 strats now a classic 50s which is wired with both bridge and mid to the tone, AV block & custom copperhead pickups . I mostly changed the stuff in the classic to make it more trad.but the guitar doesn't sound all that much better. It was and is a great sounding strat. And a CV which is still no load to the bridge . And a 2008 AM standard stock. THe AM standard is the best of the lot.
    I have upgraded some from time to time and upgraded others guitars from time. Quite often little or no difference is obtained.

By all means tell the world what works for ya . And let me tell what doesn't ok.

And what doesn't work for me is people that brag about being a wanta be, Al la Eric Johnson or al la ...
    :dude

16. monroe

monroe Senior Member

You have some kind of an issue with a lot of my posts lately. I wasn't telling you how to wire your Strats... I was responding to the OP "Strat Mods to Improve Primary Tone" question. You rag me for suggesting changing the stock setup, then admit to doing just that yourself?

The EJ reference was not a comparison to my playing, but to how his Strats are wired. If you think I was bragging, you are even more insecure than you first appear. I don't need to brag about my playing here.

I'm sorry you don't have an ear that can appreciate subtle differences some mods offer. I don't know why you are so confrontational, but I'm done responding to you.

17. overdriver

overdriver Banned

How do you know what kind of an ear I have . You are quite funny and thank god your done talkin to me.

insecure :laugh2:: Some people I tell ya, when they run out of sense ,it always comes down to this type of B.S.

18. to285

to285 Member

something i notice is hoe many variations there are on the classic fender tremolo. there are all different kinds of materials. brass, titanium, steel, ect. for all parts. these include:

KGC brass tremolos and sustain blocks
    KTS Titanium saddles
    KTS Titanium sustain block(available from allparts)
    DeTemple Titanium bridge systems
    Babicz Full Contact Hardware(crafted from aluminum)
    Super-vee drop-in tremolo
    MannMade bridges
    Graph Tech Tusq, string saver, and string saver classic saddles
    Tremol-no (some claim better sustain when locked down)

another idea being aluminum tremolo blocks or bridges , but no matter how hard i tried i couldn't find one. although those who tried it claim excellent tone

79standard likes this.
  19. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I think both of you should simmer down a bit.

;)

BB

79standard likes this.
  20. to285

to285 Member

something else i'd like to add to this list would be so-called noiseless tremolo springs from floyd upgrades.com (a good website for floyd rose mods in case you're interested)