Strat Mods to Improve Primary Tone

Discussion in 'Fender' started by FLICKOFLASH, Apr 5, 2009.

1. overdriver

overdriver Banned

Your not really going to put all that exspensive stuff on an old strat copy.:rolleyes:

What I find sad for all those that spend a great deal of time and money on modding a strat. Is that no matter what they do, their tone never achieves that of the players they admire and are often tring to copy,
    ones that played and play stock Strats alot of them.

People like Eric Johnson IMO sound OK! I wouldn't buy any of his records. To me he sounds too proccesed. Most of what I have heard from the guy, well his super ear and strat don't sound much like a Strat ta me.:thumb:

2. LiveOak

LiveOak Senior Member

I've kept my 2002 American Series Strat stock so far. If I mod it at all, I'll put a set of Fender Hot Vintage Noiseless PU's with the 1 meg pots and a white perloid pickguard on her.

For now, however, she sits in the case because I can't put my 2006 LP Std. down LOL! It's my #1.

3. oldaxeman

oldaxeman Senior Member

Nah but scraping off some paint and removing some covers don't cost anything, I rarely play that thing but it ain't all that bad. :lol:

4. Jason

Jason Senior Member

I wish that some of you guys who do the crazy voodoo shit with your Strats would do some before/after recordings... so we can verify, once and for all, whether or not removing the plastic cover off the back or scraping the paint out of the neck joint does anything.... :)

5. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

:laugh2: I say we get in contact with the mythbuster dudes. :hmm: :cool:

6. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

Making sure all your switches and pots are USA cts or similar. Calaham trem blocks hardened neck screw inserts made a huge difference. Make sure your neck and is straight on the long axis (edge of neck/string) Making sure the nut has enough break in the back. Cleaning all wood to wood surfaces, fret leveling, pup height needs to be set low. PUP height is huge with strats and teles. I go shy of factory spec, this gives the strings what they need to move, especially if you are a freak like me and use 12-52's or 11-52's, magnets will drown out vibrancy sure than hell. I have learned making the amp take the load to compensate is much more rewarding.

This all stuff I have done with mine and it now after 4 years of messing with it, it now has mojo. It almost gives me a hard on the way it screams now. Full, chimey, clear, and not shrill or muddy. This strat now sounds great.

I have tried many many many different things but these wrre all things that improved my tone.

Time for me to start a new project.

7. mikeymdl

mikeymdl Member

I like to have tone 1 for the neck and tone 2 for the bridge. That way the only position without any tone is position 3, middle only. You can also use different caps for each tone control to tailor the sound to your liking. I like a .015 on the neck for the Clapton "woman tone".:dude:

8. mikeymdl

mikeymdl Member

+1 on removing the rear cover.

I also only use Sprague orange drop caps of the 100V variety. They seem to have better tone than the 400V. This could be because the guitar signal is such low voltage.

9. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

I would add to my list...RS (or equivalent pots) to you guitar...Frigg'n awesome

10. Lampens

Lampens Senior Member

That would be a great episode. verifying or debunking all the theories that float around on here. They could make a whole season out of it. :thumb:

BTW. I took the back plate of my strat because someone told me it would reduce the bad feedbackI was having. Because with the plate on it's basically a pocket full of air that can go mental on you with high gain.
    Yeah, yeah, why use high gain on a single coil strat?
    Sue me. I didn't know any better at that time. :D

11. overdriver

overdriver Banned

The believers would say the show was fixed. A brain ,once washed may never be the same.

Also just when I heard it all, the other day on a different forum a fellow stated that a properly intonated guitar sounded fuller that one thats not. I suspose he could have been talkin 2 different guitars, but he wasn't.:rolleyes:

12. monroe

monroe Senior Member

I prefer the middle PU with no tone control, a la EJ and others.

13. overdriver

overdriver Banned

^ why not just have the delta tone pot , a la the thousands of reg. people

14. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

i have both my strats that way, i have TBX tone
    controls for bridge and neck and nothing on
    the middle pickup

15. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

I just overhauled my partscaster. put some humbuckers in her wow. Best thing ever did to her.

16. overdriver

overdriver Banned

:rolleyes:

17. captcoolaid

Whatever dude. Or are you one of those that only single coils sound good in a strat. Just voicing an opinion, but I guess can't do that without getting the eyes rolled at.

18. Lampens

Lampens Senior Member

I have that delta tone thing. Didn't know about it when I bought the guitar. Didn't know anything really at that time. Just that I wanted a real fender strat and it had to be sunburst :) I had the money burning in my pocket after getting home from deployment and just went and bought one. It should have come with a case. Didn't get one. I bought my own gigbag to go with it. Didn't even get a strap, setup or a cable :( I was really taken, the bastards.:mad:
    I figured the pot was broken because of that little notch it had lol. The difference between bypassing the tone circuit or not is barely audible.
    Thinking about upgrading something but don't know exactly what. It sounds stratty so that's good. maybe something to make it sound fatter. Don't know if an rs kit will help or just changing a cap or something. It's one of those swimming pool bodies so it never will be a real heavy sounding guitar I guess.

19. overdriver

overdriver Banned

Tell me what does putting HBs in a Strat, have to do with, IMPROVING THE PRIMARY TONE.

Whatever DUDE :rolleyes:

20. captcoolaid

Woops my bad, read the thread wrong.